Author Topic: Avast stopping my internet connection? Thats a good one!  (Read 24599 times)

Bumbailadat

Re: Avast stopping my internet connection? Thats a good one!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »
I'm having the SAME problem!  As soon as Avast 5 was installed, I find out that Internet Explorer browser does not work.  Funny but I can surf the web using my AOL browser but I really prefer IE.  I have to disable the web shield in order to surf the web, but I really rather not do that.  I to am becoming extremely frustrated with Avast as my previous version worked just fine.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
Well this topic amongst others gives information about checking your firewall isn't actually blocking avast and not the other way round. It also asks questions about what firewall you are using. So I suggest that you read through this topic and answer the question about firewalls and try the suggestions and then report your findings.

AOHell's browser I believe uses proprietary protocol and as such isn't monitored by the web shield.

A temporary fix would be to stop the web shield, but that means you aren't being protected by it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

orangutan

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Hello
I think I had the same problem.
I needed to 'repair' my internet connection every 15-30 minutes with my DSL connection (and disconnecting the modem when I use mobile broadband connection).
First I thought it was because of firewall problem. I used Comodo Internet Security, firewall and defence+ only.
Unistalled it and tried other firewall (Online Armor, PC Tools, and Private Firewall).
Still got the same problem. I did repair the XP W32, DNS cache, TC/IP repair etc, no success. I almost blamed my modem  ;D
Finally I turned Avast web shield of then everything works fine until now. My connection never goes down.

I currently use Avast 5, Online Armor Free, and Win Patrol. MBAM and SAS for on demand scan only. XP Pro SP3.
Turning off the web shield might be not the best solution for me. But I do like Avast a lot so I keep using it.
I've been using Avast for years.