Author Topic: Uninstall avast! for WHS doesn't work  (Read 83243 times)

Offline jac37

Uninstall avast! for WHS doesn't work
« on: September 21, 2009, 09:59:25 PM »
I'm tryingto remove the software from my WHS and I get the error message. Uninstall failed when trying from the WHS console and if I try from the add/remove programs from WHS I get Fatal error during installation. I have shut off self-defence mode in settings troubleshooting, but this doesnt help. How can I uninstall?

JAC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Uninstall avast! for WHS doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:53 PM »
I suggest:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
3. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
The best things in life are free.

Offline jac37

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2009, 04:48:04 AM »
I rebooted tried uninstalling from the WHS console and then in add / remove programs with nothing but the same error messages. I then attempted to boot my server in safe mode after dragging a monitor over to it and hooking it up. Unfortunately it would not boot into safe mode it would just sit there at the selection screen. I dont know if this is typical of WHS or not. In any event, I ran the uninstall from the console in normal mode, selected AVAST! for WHS and it uninstalled and then asked to reboot. It seems to be all cleaned up and uninstalled.

THX

JAC

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 04:11:40 PM »
jac37, why do you need to uninstall? Are you using another antivirus solution?

Offline minime1

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 07:46:09 PM »
I suggest:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
3. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.

Hi all,

I am also suffering from a similar issue, unable to uninstall avast for whs trial as license expired, i searched everywhere and advice above seems the only solution, however there is a major problem here that Avast does not seem to have thought about:

How can you reboot into safe mode when your WHS is headless? Many if not most whs are meant to be headless ie without monitor, keyboard or mouse attached. In fact some don't even have a display card at all and you can't attach a monitor like mine which is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo home server. I am unable to uninstall avast and unable to extend its lifetime with the purchased license. I think it is unacceptable and in my opinion a poor software if one can't uninstall it as normal and avast should do much better than this. It seems the only option left for me know is to reset my WHS and spend a good number of hours reconfiguring and re-patching, re-installing all my add-ins because i can't uninstall avast. This is ridiculous.

Any other ideas please? as this "removal tool in safe mode" is not possible with my system?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:48 PM »
If you run ashavast.exe, won't the dialog for entering the license key popup?

Offline minime1

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:06:01 PM »
If you run ashavast.exe, won't the dialog for entering the license key popup?

I have managed to improt the license file and it displays my name rather than demo as it did before. However Avast still thinks it has expired and i keep getting warnings.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:36:56 AM »
If the system time and date is correct.
If you're doing an installation from the scratch.
Are you sure the license key wasn't expired?

What is "improt"?

Offline minime1

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 04:57:59 AM »
If the system time and date is correct.
If you're doing an installation from the scratch.
Are you sure the license key wasn't expired?

What is "improt"?

Sorry about the typo, it is meant to be import. I have now managed to get this sorted. I bought a 1 year License and the license file has been imported and only got acknowledged by avast after a couple of system reboots.My Avast now works, But my question still is, how to uninstall avast from the system if WHS(mine is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo home server 1900 and DOES NOT have a graphics display card on the motherboard by design).This means that i can't attach a monitor can not reboot into safe mode(can't see safe mode)System is only managed remotely via management console and/or rdp. As & when i decide to uninstall avast and can't do that from console or add/remove program , how do i then uninstall? Surely Avast must have a solution? There have to be a different solution other than the uninstall utility?

Offline perhellstrom

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 11:17:47 PM »
Sorry about the typo, it is meant to be import. I have now managed to get this sorted. I bought a 1 year License and the license file has been imported and only got acknowledged by avast after a couple of system reboots.My Avast now works, But my question still is, how to uninstall avast from the system if WHS(mine is a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo home server 1900 and DOES NOT have a graphics display card on the motherboard by design).This means that i can't attach a monitor can not reboot into safe mode(can't see safe mode)System is only managed remotely via management console and/or rdp. As & when i decide to uninstall avast and can't do that from console or add/remove program , how do i then uninstall? Surely Avast must have a solution? There have to be a different solution other than the uninstall utility?

I have also, more or less, experienced the same problems.

I've got a Fujitsu-Siemens 2205 and missed the Avast demo period with a few days.

First of all the Avast Add-In was unresponsive in all ways (until I set back time to before the 27th when it expired).

The Add-in refused to uninstall my Avast installation due to... well something...

The Avast Add-in panel (with date setback) refuses to take my license file

Fortunately I found this thread and by starting Avast WHS on the server (with all alarmbells saying to keep out of the server) I managed to install the license file. And then I could set a correct date again.

Hopefully this manoeuvre hasn't corrupted any backups or other important files on the server.

Therefor a small note to the Avast developers:

First of all, I've been using Avast for approx five years and are really happy with it - It's just that the WHS Edition isn't really working by WHS standards.

The Windows Home Server is supposed to be administrated from the WHS Console, and NEVER EVER on the server itself. Therefor a WORKING add-in is essential.

There must be some kind of strange bug that completely locks access to the proper GUI (Yes, the Add-In pane) to enter a valid license and I'll keep my eyes on this thread for the solution (as well as a PROPER way of uninstalling Avast from my WHS, If I ever should feel like it)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 08:13:00 PM »
I didn't really read over this post very well, so you may have tried this already.

I took a look at Avast's page on WHS, and found this: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-windows-home-server-edition.html

The MSI option is suitable especially for users who don't connect to the WHS any other way than by means of the WHS Console, and is the prefered way of installation (especially on HP MediaSmart systems where system security policies are preconfigured so that it is not easy to run executable programs downloaded from the Internet).
To use the MSI installer, follow these steps:
Download the MSI installation package and place it to the WHSERVERSoftwareAdd-ins folder (replace WHSERVER by the name of your WHS machine).
Start the WHS Console.
Click the Settings button, and navigate to the Add-ins page.
On the Available page, you should now see the entry for avast! Antivirus. Click the Install button.
In case you later decide to uninstall the program, you can use that via the WHS Console as well (avast! WHS Edition will have an entry in the list of installed add-ins, from which it can be uninstalled).

Don't know if it works or not, I don't have a WHS to test it on.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline perhellstrom

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »
I didn't really read over this post very well, so you may have tried this already.
/.../
Don't know if it works or not, I don't have a WHS to test it on.

No offence :-*, but haven't you read out problems at all?

The problem is that the MSI doesn't work (at least for us) and that running a headless server leaves us no option really.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »
No, I pretty much glanced over it.  Sorry about that.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline GlynH

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 09:06:14 PM »
Yeah but at least you take the time & trouble to pop in here scythe944 and try to help which is more than I can say for Avast themselves in the great majority of issues...

I (and I am sure others also) appreciate your help.

I have another issue with Avast but I am going to post in the 'wrong' forum in the hope of provoking an 'official' reply...

Thanks & regards,
-=Glyn=-

Offline dontuseavastonex

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2009, 12:36:40 PM »

You ae just adding noise ;-) Nice of you to reply but this a problem with WHS that Avast fail to address.  WHS is designed to be used from the Windows Home Server Console, not from remote desktop sessions, local console and certainly never in 'Safe' mode.  The mediasmart servers aka MSS from HP don't have a video output, just like solutions from Acer, Fujitsu, Lenovo etc.

Avast because of the way it must maintain it's file integrity gets right down into the OS and can't be removed if anything goes slightly wrong preventing it from uninstalling. Though there is an exe provided to remove it in this case, it's not compatible with Windows Home Server Hardware like those mentioned before.  You might want to say it is a failing in those units but it's actually part of the design guidelines from MS that all tasks are to be undertaking through the Windows Home Server Console - that includes uninstalling.

Like I said I don't have any qualms with Avast itself but I want to warn others that you could get yourself very easily into a situation where you can't uninstall Avast which may result in performance effects.