Author Topic: Avast Unable to Scan Certain Files  (Read 8796 times)

Copernicus

Avast Unable to Scan Certain Files
« on: May 31, 2004, 05:21:34 PM »
After doing a thorough scan through Avast Home Edition I was presented with about 1500 results that said "File unable to be scanned." Is there any way to fix this, so that they can be scanned?  Btw, I use Azast version 4, if that makes a differences.

whocares

Re:Avast Unable to Scan Certain Files
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2004, 05:27:54 PM »
Hi,

please tell us the REASON why it couldn't be scanned
(expand the columns of the avast-report/log if necessary to see full info..)

could e.g. be encrypted backup files of SPYBOT or ad-aware or so.. (-> harmless & normal)

or loads of old rubbish in IE-Cache & Win-Temp-folders..(-> WIN needs cleaning up)

;)

Copernicus

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2004, 05:38:33 PM »
I can't figure out why, but I can't find my log file, where it had the whole list of files unable to scan.  Could you tell me where it is, maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Copernicus

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2004, 05:48:09 PM »
i did a quick scan and these are just some of the files that came up.  Do the scan results delete themselves after a period of time?

* avast! Report
* This file is generated automatically
* Task 'Simple user interface' used
* Started on Monday, May 31, 2004 11:38:54 AM
* VPS: 0422-1, 05/27/2004

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau.zip\ben kleinman@etype.adbureau[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau1.zip\lyane kleinman@etype.adbureau[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\ben kleinman@servedby.advertising[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\ben kleinman@advertising[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

OK, the list goes on and on the same way...  there's no reason to post all of it.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 09:36:38 AM by igor »

whocares

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2004, 07:15:42 PM »
more than enough, please edit/delete the entries to show only some relevant examples

like I said, password-protected files of SPYBOT: harmless and normal..

There also have been numerous entries on this: please use the above board-search for more details..

« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 07:16:51 PM by whocares »

Copernicus

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2004, 08:56:59 PM »
i searched and didn't find much.  Mind giving me a link?

eda

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2004, 11:36:15 PM »
Dear Copernicus,

a lot of data, very similar, line after line - eg.:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom12.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

what is the file? ZIP archive!
what is the reaon that it's not scanned by avast!? Archive is pasword protected!
who is the owner of the file, who encrypted it? Spybot!
can avast! know the password used by SpyBot? NO
can anybody test encrypted files without the knowledge about password? NO

And what is the result of your scan?

Be so kind and try to read and think about, please

Eduard

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2004, 12:06:29 AM »
Do the scan results delete themselves after a period of time?

Sorry, Copernicus, but this happen in Home version. You are not allowed to 'work with the results'. This is a Profesional version feature.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau.zip\ben kleinman@etype.adbureau[1].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau1.zip\lyane kleinman@etype.adbureau[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Adbureau1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\ben kleinman@servedby.advertising[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\ben kleinman@advertising[2].txt [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery\Advertisingcom1.zip\sbRecovery.ini [E] Archive is password protected. (42056)

If all of your files are from Spybot folder, take it easy, it's normal. They are password protected as they were at the Quarentine folder, cleaned by Spybot.
If you want, you can exclude this folder from the scanning (avast settings > Exclusions).

Wellcome to forums.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2004, 09:51:02 AM »
Do the scan results delete themselves after a period of time?

Sorry, Copernicus, but this happen in Home version. You are not allowed to 'work with the results'. This is a Profesional version feature.

Well, I wouldn't call it "allowed"... in the Home version, the results are simply not stored anywhere. So, you can inspect the results right after the scan is finished, but when you close the applications, they are lost.

Copernicus

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 02:56:22 AM »
Thanks for the welcome technical.  I won't post that much again, just thought it might help.  I tried exclude but the files still came up after scan with a little note after them that said that these files can't be scanned. I don't remember the exact wording.  Anyway the files still showed up in the log file.  Why is that?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 02:19:36 PM »
I won't post that much again, just thought it might help.

Don't worry, we're here to help when we can  ;D

I tried exclude but the files still came up after scan with a little note after them that said that these files can't be scanned.

What do you mean? Did you add this file to the 'exclusion list' or, on contrary, you try to delete the files themselves?

Anyway the files still showed up in the log file.  Why is that?

Configure your report settings: uncheck the 'ok files', 'soft error files' and, if you want, the 'hard error files' and let just the infected files.
The best things in life are free.