Author Topic: Update an avast pro licence remotely  (Read 4967 times)

gemada

Update an avast pro licence remotely
« on: September 23, 2009, 01:32:36 AM »
Hi;

We are an avast reseller and a Managed Services Provider. Most of our clients are on networks so they use the managed version, however some smaller clients do not have servers with ADNM or have remote users that are not part of the domain and thus use standalone avast pro licences. I would like to find a way to update the licences of these smaller clients remotely with a script when they renew their avast licences. We use kaseya to manage remote systems and run scripts on them. Currently i use a script that executes "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswchlic.exe" and passes it the argument containing the new licence key. This works great unless the avast4 folder does not have the aswchlic.exe file in it, so our script checks for that file and if the client machine doesn't have that file it copies aswchlic2.exe from our Kaseya server to the client machine, then runs aswchlic2.exe and passes it the argument containing the new avast licence key. Now that avast has self-protection, we can't write the aswchlic2.exe file to the avast4 folder anymore. I need to find a new way to push out avast licence updates to remote systems via script (remember that i have a kaseya agent on all of these machines so i can pretty much run any kind of script i need to to get this to work).

thanks,

James

gemada

Re: Update an avast pro licence remotely
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:11:57 AM »
just as an additional note, updating the avast program and rebooting will make the original aswchlic.exe reappear if it was missing and then my script works without having to try to create aswchlic2.exe. Not sure what makes that file disappear...any help would be appreciated.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
Possibly the original version (before the update) was an old one that didn't have the file inside?
I'm afraid it's not possible to do anything else than manually update the program.

gemada

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 10:39:38 PM »
So all current versions of avast Pro should theoretically have the aswchlic.exe in the avast4 folder? If that is the case i will just make sure i run a script to update program and reboot before i update the licence.