Author Topic: port forwarding problem  (Read 6767 times)

bfb1963

port forwarding problem
« on: September 24, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »
I run a number of computers on my home network, they connect to a network switch, and out to the internet with a Netgear router.  I also have an identical router set up as a wireless access point.  I cannot get port forwarding to work.  It had worked in the past.

No windows firewall is on.  port testing applications do not show any open ports.

Are there any settings in Avast that can be the problem?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: port forwarding problem
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 04:00:38 PM »
Avast doesn't have a firewall currently, although the V5 suite will.

Are you sure that your port forwards are pointing to the correct IP addresses?

If you are trying to port forward through the wireless router, so you'll be double NAT-ing.

What I do in this situation, is set a static IP address of the second (wireless router), forward all ports that I need in the first router to the second router.  Then, on the second router, forward all ports to the host(s).

Of course, if you could omit one router, it would be a lot easier...

Internet (some IP address) ===> Modem  ===> Router1 (10.1.10.1) =====> Router2 (192.168.1.1)

forwardR1 (80) => (192.168.1.1)  forwardR2 (80) => (192.168.1.5)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:05:11 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

wpn

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 12:21:40 AM »
you could also try this

give the second router a static IP on its WAN port in the range that the first router uses on its LAN ports.
Put the ip from the second router in a DMZ (that way its kinda like its directly on the internet) and forward the
ports from the second router to the server u want...

OR

since you only use the wireless router as a point for your wireless clients to get on your network:

turn of DHCP on the wireless router
connect a cable in a LAN port of your first router, hook the cable to a LAN port on the wireless router and the rest should work perfectly since the router will then act like a really expensive switch :D

oh and ofcourse in all cases make sure that hte computer has a static IP so that it can not change ip address when rebooting or so... else u could break ur forwards too
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 12:23:50 AM by wpn »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 08:31:17 PM »
Yes, DMZ would work as well.  I still think that getting rid of one of your routers would be the best option, if you can get away with it.

At my dad's business, I couldn't get rid of the second router.  The first router is the modem with a router built-in, the second was another router but it's wireless.  I could just purchase a wireless access point to make it simple, but I had the router sitting around, and I knew how to configure it.

Hope you get it fixed!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum