Author Topic: 4.8 Home...  (Read 5185 times)

bobnrobin

4.8 Home...
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »
Hello, All,
Just discovered in "About avast!", under the Registration Key, there is a line called Updates Expiration followed by a date - Sunday, Nov. 1, 2009, 1:00 a.m..

Does this mean that the 4.8 ver. will no longer receive updates and will stop working ?  Is the new 5 Free going to be available on disk (have dialup) ?  Was in the process of trying out the ver. before 4.8, when HD died.  New HD and DL'd the 4.8 Home - to take the place of Norton AV.  Very pleased with it. 

So, what should I do - will I be without current AV protection on 11-1-09 ?  All help and advice much appreciated.
bobnrobin

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: 4.8 Home...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:10:55 PM »
Register your free product
http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php  will last one year, then you download a new free key, same with V5.......i think

Registration / License
http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-registration-license.html

How to put in key
http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm

User guide
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-user-guides-and-manual.html
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:13:26 PM by pondus »

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 05:14:17 PM »
Hello bobnrobin,

Basically this is the home license expiration date. This means that around this date you will have to renew it (for free)

I think sometime before this you will be reminded about it by avast!

What you do when you are notified is go to this link:
http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php

and click on:
'My registration key has expired, I need a new one'

You will then be asked to fill out a registration form and then be sent an email with the key, when you do.
You can then input this into avast!

I think you could even do it now if you wanted...

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 05:25:50 PM »
Further to the above, 21 days before the updates expiration date you would get a daily pop-up reminder to update/re-register.

Whilst after that update expiration date you couldn't get VPS or Program updates without re-registering, the avast Home program should still work albeit not updating virus signatures (not a good idea).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 05:27:31 PM »
Further to the above, 21 days before the updates expiration date you would get a daily pop-up reminder to update/re-register.

Thanks for that DavidR, I wasn't sure when it alerted you to re-register, now I do ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »
You're welcome, that is as far as I'm aware the correct time frame for the current avast 4.x.

Hopefully soon we will find out what the avast free antivirus version 5.0 registration and renewal policy is when it is finally released.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bobnrobin

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 06:06:46 PM »
Thanks to All - pondus, spg Scott & DavidR - for taking the time to reply...
Just had an answer written, but it didn't post !  Starting over..

Printed out the replies for reference.  Thanks.
Does anyone know if 5 Free will be available on disk ?  As stated, have dialup.  For that matter, is the paid/Pro available on disk ?
Would you recommend the Pro version over the Free if it were to be the only AV ?  (Have had Norton AV for several years, but it's such a resource hog.  That's why I tried avast!.)

Also have AdAware, Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster.  avast! doesn't seem to object to them much, although I have noted that they do seem to "open" more slowly and the "a ball" spins a lot.

Right now, my email is royally messed up thanks to MSN and their new "Live" stuff - can't read or write - so can not renew the license until it's fixed.  But at least now I know what to do.

Again, thank you all very much.
bobnrobin

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 06:28:25 PM »
I don't think it will be available on disk, but you could download it to another pc using a broadband connection and then transfer it over to your pc. (using a memory stick or disk if you wanted)

As for the pro version, I think it is down to your personal preferences, what you like. I like the home version, it is fine for me...
You can check out the comparison of the home/pro version here:
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-compare-home-professional.html

There is a saying around here that pops up every now and then, which I think I agree with:

the biggest competition to the avast Pro version is avast Home version

-Scott-

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 09:36:35 PM »
Does anyone know if 5 Free will be available on disk ?  As stated, have dialup.  For that matter, is the paid/Pro available on disk ?
Most probably not. You'll need to download it.
Situation is more or less the same described here: http://blog.avast.com/2009/07/20/why-is-avast-not-pre-installed-on-my-new-computer/

Would you recommend the Pro version over the Free if it were to be the only AV ?  (Have had Norton AV for several years, but it's such a resource hog.  That's why I tried avast!.)
Pro helps support of the free also.
The best things in life are free.

bobnrobin

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 06:45:47 PM »
Thank you, spg Scott & Tech.
Appreciate your help and advice.  Checked out the links you included - good info - thanks.  Seems that I will be safe in uninstalling the Norton AV that is still on the computer (not up to date as I didn't "renew") (if I can !) and relying on avast! for full protection. 
Again, thanks for taking the time to help.
bobnrobin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 08:13:06 PM »
Also, don't forget a firewall, at least, Windows one.

Other freewares:
Online Armour
PCTools
Outpost Firewall Free
Comodo
ZoneAlarm
The best things in life are free.

bobnrobin

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »
Thanks, Tech !
Always..... at least the Windows firewall.
Thanks again.
bobnrobin