Author Topic: ADNM and Vista x64bit  (Read 17002 times)

fairlane32

ADNM and Vista x64bit
« on: September 24, 2009, 04:50:15 PM »
Hi :D
    I am running a machine with Vista Business x64bit and I have SQL server installed (see attached image) since I also run Faronics Deep Freeze and Core Console
    My question is does ADMN work on a Vista x64 machine? If so, which version do I use? (the bigger file or the smaller file?) I downloaded the ADNM that is 109mb, and when I try to install it it gives me two options to install and either one doesn't work. I have received my license.dat file from AWIL so now what?

Avast support was kind enough to tell me that I can install adnm on my machine but the ADNM manual states that it is NOT supported?

Thanks a lot,

Philip  ;)

fairlane32

Re: ADNM and Vista x64bit
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 06:16:29 PM »
UPDATE - I tried installing the ADNM without MSDE (the smaller download) and it gives me an error that I have specified an invalid username and password on SKYNET server, do you want to continue?

What does THAT mean?  :o

What happens if I hit 'yes' and continue?

Sorry for being so stupid.

Philip
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:18:31 PM by fairlane32 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:43:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I haven't installed ADNM on a Vista machine yet, and I don't think I ever will.  I usually install it on an actual server OS.

I don't think it should be a problem though.  I have successfully installed ADNM on Server 2008 x64 machines.

Looking at your screenshot, the server name should be SKYNET/"avast instance name" I believe.  Provided that you have already installed SQL server, created an instance for avast, and have created your own SA username and password.  A randomly generated one won't work, because if you don't know the password, then you can't tell avast what it is so that it can use the database...

Other than that, it should work fine.  Let us know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

fairlane32

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:19:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I haven't installed ADNM on a Vista machine yet, and I don't think I ever will.  I usually install it on an actual server OS.

I don't think it should be a problem though.  I have successfully installed ADNM on Server 2008 x64 machines.

Looking at your screenshot, the server name should be SKYNET/"avast instance name" I believe.  Provided that you have already installed SQL server, created an instance for avast, and have created your own SA username and password.  A randomly generated one won't work, because if you don't know the password, then you can't tell avast what it is so that it can use the database...

Other than that, it should work fine.  Let us know.

Scythe,
         Thanks for the reply. I do have SQL server installed, but I don't know how to create an instance for avast or an SA username and password to give to ADNM when it asks for it. How do I do that?

I checked the SQL server settings by going to Start- Programs - MS SQL Server 2005 - Configuration Manager and noticed that the SQL Server Browser was set at Disabled. (see image) I started it and set it to Automatic. Could this be the problem while installing ADNM?

Thanks,

Philip

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49:41 PM »
It's been a little while since I've done an installation, but you should have been able to create a database as soon as you installed MSDE.

You can create another using the configuration manager I'm pretty sure.  I found this site that explains how to do it, only they're gearing it for "AutoPLANT".  Just configure yours for avast. http://communities.bentley.com/Wiki/view.aspx/How_To_Create_A_New_SQL_Database_And_User_In_SQL_Server_2005_For_An_AutoPLANT_Project

If it wasn't running to begin with, that would definitely cause a problem though!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:51:18 PM »
I know you're not installing on SBS 2008, but I think most of this will be relevant. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41775.0

fairlane32

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:14 PM »
Scythe,
    I am running vista business x64. MSDE is not supported according to the ADNM installation guide. It just says that MSDE isn't supported on x64bit systems but sql server should work just fine.
   How do you create a new instance so I can call it avast and set up an SA account username and password so the ADNM install will point to it?

Thanks again,

Philip

I checked the two threads but didn't see information on how to create a new instance    :-\

fairlane32

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 04:44:10 AM »
OK,
    I went over the threads again you recommended and I did see instructions for creating a new instance. I'm going to try to launch the SQL server installer and hopefully it will create a new database instance that I can call avast! and we'll see if that works. Unless installing SQL Management Studio will be even easier.

I think avast should make it a lot easier to set this up. I know ADNM is free but still........ :(

fairlane32

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 06:35:52 PM »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Well I was able to launch the SQL express installer and add another server database called avast, make up an SA account and password, but going through the ADNM install, the program doesn't see it. Keeps giving me that "can't find specified server, invalid username/password" error. I have enabled all network protocols (TCP, etc) and it's running, the browser is running so I don't know what the problem is. Sounds like the issue is with the ADNM program

I sent in a support ticket

wpn

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2009, 12:12:28 AM »
did u turn of your firewall?

fairlane32

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2009, 05:03:03 PM »
I do not have the windows firewall enabled. I'm running avast pro and if they have a firewall that is interfering with it that would be quite embarrassing for them I would think...... ::)

Is there something of theirs I need to turn off?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 08:28:28 PM »
Remember, for the instance name you have to put SERVERNAME/INSTANCENAME in order for it to work (use a forward slash, not a backslash).

I know it's a pain in the rear to get setup, I'm hoping with Avast 5, they'll start incorporating SQL Express 2k5 or 2k8, and we won't have to do all of the manual configuration to get it to work, like we have to do now.

If that doesn't work, I'm pretty much stuck.  Give us any more info that you can so we can help further.

fairlane32

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2009, 10:16:17 PM »
Scythe,
     Thanks for your continued help. Unfortunately it just won't work. I think I'll have to give up on using ADNM.

Note: I did try both options, checked and unchecked with regard to creating the database

Oh well,

Philip

wpn

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 12:59:15 PM »
besides the problems:
is there any particular reason you need to install ADNM (server software) on a vista client? Is it possible to that you format the that client and install XP or even beter Windows Server 2008 R2?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 03:57:20 PM »
I said that before, I wouldn't install ADNM on a vista machine, nor XP for that matter, but if that's what fairlane has to work with and nothing else, then we'll try to help as best as we can.

fairlane, did you check to see if your sql server service is running and set to automatic?  Any event logs on the machine that shows abnormal operation or errors?

Hopefully you don't have to give up on the ADNM, because once you get it running, it's the bee's knees.  Especially if you have a bunch of machines that you want to control with it.

Woops!!  :o I just looked at my server here and saw that I have "SERVER2\avast" in my sql server instance.  I told you it was a forward slash, but I think I may have been mistaken.  Let me check one of my 2008 boxes... yep. I was wrong.

Use a Backslash!!!!  \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Sorry about that!

Let me know if that works (got my fingers crossed for ya)