Author Topic: ADNM and Vista x64bit  (Read 17007 times)

fairlane32

Re: ADNM and Vista x64bit
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
Scythe,
     I am out sick today, will be back on Thurs. I'm pretty sure all required services are up and running (did you see the pics I uploaded?)
I will try again with a backslash when I get in on Thurs.

As to the OS, vista x64 bit is what I'm running. I won't go back to x32bit (what's the point?) and running a server OS is overkill. I only have around 50 pc's on three floors to deal with in a small public library. It's not crucial, but I would like to be able to monitor the machines I have to see if and when any get infected, which is why I'm trying to get ADNM to work.  I wonder how it would fare if I upgraded to windows 7 Enterprise x64 and tried installing ADNM.  hrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm  ;D

Incidentally, a colleague of mine told me to install SQLExpress 2005 x64bit edition. He thinks that would fix it. At this point I feel it couldn't hurt, but who knows with SQL. I just don't want to mess up my faronics instances but again, if it gets ADNM to work, so be it.

Thanks again for your help

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 12:06:11 AM by fairlane32 »

wpn

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »
highly probable is that the slash mix up is the sollution

but to go into your question abuot   whats the point

that question i ask you to for the x64 machine

whats the point for that machine to be 64 bit?  Most programmes (INCLUDING ADNM) dont harness the possibilities of 64bit yet since there is no need for that to harnes yet.
64bit is getting popular yes and it will soon take over the world... but not just yet...
you dont have a server infrastructure for your network in the library where u possibly could put avast on, since this would centralise administration of the network itself too which makes your life easier (unless its setup to keep your job ;))?

if you run SQL 2005 32bit whats the whole point of the machine, since the database wont be able to use the 64bit functionality either...

just some idea's ;)

like i said the slash mix up from scythe is probably the sollution for your problem  just put the  \  instead of the / 

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 03:50:36 PM »
fairlane, hope you feel better soon, and I hope my mistake with the slashes fixes the problem!  let us know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

fairlane32

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 06:20:28 PM »
Scythe,
     Almost there!!      :D OK your backslash worked flawlessly. It saw the server and continued to install the mirror files from avast, but when the setup was finished I launched the ADNM from the desktop but cannot log in? (see image) This is the default login that pops up, should this be changed? I hit the Detect Servers button and it found my machine SkyNET not the SkyNET\avast (or the Faronics for that matter). I tried to put in SkyNET\avast and skyNET/avast and use administrator and password and it gives me an error (not valid context etc...)  I put in sa for the username and the password I created for the avast instance but I still can't login?   :-[       

When I installed ADNM (adnm_no_msde.exe) I didn't uncheck the 'Management Server'. Is that right? I also created certificates and had them stored locally.

Thanks again, you have been extremely helpful

Philip           
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:28:26 PM by fairlane32 »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
You're welcome.

Now the problem is that you're trying to login to the ADNM console using your database credentials.  Do not mistake them to be the same.  They are different.

I believe the default user and password for the ADNM console are admin/admin.

Check the ADNM user manual for details. http://files.avast.com/files/eng/adnmag.pdf

Once you get in, you can change that password, and/or create users and new passwords, if required.

Hope that works...

* EDIT *

Just read the manual, and I was wrong again.  Looks like:

The default username is Administrator, and the password is admin.
We strongly encourage all users to change the password as soon as possible after
logging on to the server, because leaving the password set to its default value
10 Chapter 2. Installation
directly compromises system security.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:45:21 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

fairlane32

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 07:12:26 PM »
Scythe,
     Yes, I tried that as well. (I did read the manual  ;) )

I get an unknown error, cannot login  (see image)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Doh!

Alright, check your services again, and see if your Avast Management Server service is running and set to automatic.

If it's not running, it can't authenticate you.

If it runs, then stops, then I can almost guarantee it's a problem with the license.dat file.  For some reason, I keep having that problem on 2008 machines (I assume it's the same problem on Vista), and I have to rename the license file, then name it back.

Something about the way that the new OS tries to prevent the system from being damaged, but it protects it too much I think.

fairlane32

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 07:19:38 PM »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

SUCCESS!!!!!! I figured, "let me reboot the machine" which I did, launched the console and logged in, and POOF! it's all running good now.

I will change the default password and continue with my master plan for WORLD DOMINATION!!!!!!!

"........SkyNET became self aware on Aug 25th at 3:37pm......."        muahahhahhaa

Thank you very much Scythe..  Avast should hire you and give you a large salary  ;D

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 07:22:16 PM »
LOL...  don't thank me, click the link on my sig and give yourself some free online backup space, which will in turn help me by giving me more space.

I'm glad you got it working, and good luck using avast, you should love it (after going through the pain of getting it running of course  ;) )

Thank you very much Scythe..  Avast should hire you and give you a large salary 

I'm no where near the caliber of some others on the forum, but I appreciate the thought!

fairlane32

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 07:24:04 PM »
Scythe,
     I will. One last thing and I will leave you alone,

Is this where I change the admin/admin password? (see image)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
No... that's the SQL connection again.

You have to open the ADNM Console, and in the left pane, there is a "Users" Section. Under that, there is an "Administrators" Group, then the Administrator user.

Right-click the actual user, and click properties.  You may enter the new password there.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:34:29 PM by scythe944 »

fairlane32

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »
OK so maybe I didn't read the manual that far  ;D   lol!  sorry about that....

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 07:47:17 PM »
It's cool.  8)