Author Topic: avast service uses an enormous amount of memory  (Read 3411 times)

Thad

avast service uses an enormous amount of memory
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:02:24 PM »
Hi,

avast service is allocating a huge amount of (virtual) memory. I'm running the latest Windows XP with 3 Gigs of RAM. My computer runs 24/7 and is only rebooted once a week or so. Avast service allocates more and more memory over time rendering it useless after a few days because it eats of too much memory. the only way to free the memory is to forcefully kill the service or reboot the machine. Please see this screenshot:

Any ideas?

Thad

PS: My avast version:

spg SCOTT

Re: avast service uses an enormous amount of memory
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:41 PM »
Hi Thad,

I think you are suffering the same as some others and may need to check out this thread:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47965.0

Specifically this post:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=47965.msg411644#msg411644

-Scott-

Thad

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 06:11:51 PM »
Thanks for pointing me to those other threads. I installed the beta version and so far everything seems fine. i hope it will stay that way. Thanks again for your help.

Thad

spg SCOTT

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 06:17:24 PM »
No problem, glad to help :)

It was actually the same thread, just wanted to make sure you read that post...the thread is a bit long... ;)

Welcome to the forums

-Scott-

bobo1

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »
Definitly a memory leak in ashwebSV.EXE

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 10:26:21 PM »
If this were definitely a memory leak in ashWebSv.exe then surely everyone would be experiencing this issue and that clearly isn't the case or the forums would be alight.

So it isn't quite that simple but a combination of circumstances/system settings, etc.

However the current 4.8.1355 beta seems to have reduced the ashServ.exe use for those that it effects and have tried this beta build.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

popish

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:18:46 PM »
If the Beta solves the problem, then the developers of Avast must know of the origin of the problem, when it happens, and why.

They could have said, and maybe those of us affected could change whatever it is that makes our system so "special".
But they wont.
I wonder why.