Author Topic: Do I need anti-spyware as well as Avast?  (Read 20925 times)

xerostar

Do I need anti-spyware as well as Avast?
« on: September 24, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »
Sorry if this has been covered already.

I couldn't find any answers on the Avast web site.

Do I need to buy an anti-spyware program in addition to using the Avast Anti-virus software?

Avast does a great job on detecting viruses but does it detect spyware by default?

If I do need to buy anti-spyware what program would you recommend?

Thanks

Mr.Agent

Re: Do I need anti-spyware as well as Avast?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:52:58 PM »
I would use with Avast! the current anti spyware and malware.

1. Windows Defender (Should be in your Windows)
2. Malwarebytes 1.41 Free (On-Demand)

And if possible with a 2 Ways Firewall like the Vista one or Outpost,PC Tools,Online Armor...

That what i use and its never failed me.

Mr.Agent

spg SCOTT

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:00:30 AM »
Hi xerostar,

avast! does have an antispyware module integrated into it's detection engine.
http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-free-home-antivirus-antispyware.html#1

I would also suggest to have a second opinion, on-demand scanner like has been said above.
The ones generally recommended here are:

Malwarebytes AntiMalware:  www.malwarebytes.org

and/or

SUPER AntiSpyware: www.superantispyware.com

BOTH are free in non-resident (On-Demand) forms :)

-Scott-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21:37 AM »
A multi-application approach to security is better than a single application, whilst there some AVs like avast that has a detection rate in the high 90%, but none that give 100% protection.

The only thing is not to have more than one resident AV, but compatible anti-spyware applications like SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) and or MalwareBytes AntiMalware (MBAM) would compliment avast. These applications have free versions that provide on-demand protection only, they have paid options, but you should only have one resident anti-spyware (as mentioned for AVs).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 12:26:41 AM »
Windows Defender is resident too. Even if people say its bad but its can help a bit when Malwarebytes can do the rest with Avast!

Northeast

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
I find Threatfire as a good program that can run with Avast as that has spyware and malware protection. also.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 04:01:11 PM »
I find some people say Threatfire is really hard and annoying. But i dont got proof for it so its may be true or false. For sure i like my kit because when i play or surf web its really light and dont make me angry when surfing lol. ;)

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 09:33:35 PM »
Threatfire is a good choice.It does not pop up all the time like HIPS and it can detect alot of zero day malware with its behavior analysis.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 09:44:04 PM »
Well your true but i still like more my kit lol. Really simple and fast. Its like SPG Scott. lol ;D

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »
take my advice this MBAM and super anti spyware have a lot of FP maybe you will say no but i use avast professional on my laptop and i install MBAM on it it detect 9 Trojans but i analyse every one of them and they were FPS.
avast global product you can rely on it and you just want to update windows defender and have a tool to manage your web browser BHOs and this related things or get Google chrome and forget the last idea.
avast+avira without the Guard modules+comodo internet security without antivirus+chrome will be a good mixture of software and that dont takes a lot of system resourses
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
Malwarebytes has only detected 1 false positive for me. Most time is a file no a registry.

But Comodo got a really bad reputation with his Ask Bar... Very bad reputation !!!! I wouldnt touch Comodo as it isnt really recommanded and very annoying. For gaming and surfing.

Disable Avira Guard isnt enought and can result in conflict.

Disable is not enought.

Also Avira has really full false positive. If you think its not i did see some file my self and AV-Comparative his self said its got 21 FPs...

No for offense but i will stay with my kit.

Thank for suggest but i dont need your kit.

Mr.Agent
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 10:12:51 PM by Mr.Agent »

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 10:12:45 PM »
Well,you can report these false positive to the mbam team.They usually resolves this in about 3-4 hours.
Although sometime mbam can have alot of false positive,you still have to admit that it is a great program.Sames goes for superantispyware.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Mr.Agent

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »
Well Malwarebytes i just send them a email and i think 30 mins or less they respond me. So they can confirm or say push ignore button if you trust this file.

Its really a great support and dont think its bad because of his FPs.

Mr.Agent

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2009, 01:15:11 AM »
Hi xerostar,

Whatever non-resident anti spyware program/hips you use alongside the resident avast av-solution - be it MBAM or SAS or SpywareBlaster, TrendMicroRUBotted,  ImmunetProtect, ThreatFire, etc. (or a non-resident av solution like DrWebCureIt for a second op) you should always and under all instances check malcode finds against FP's or riskware (if you know what it is and have installed it yourself for a purpose) at for instance virustotal.com (upload the suspicious file or eventual FP there) or whenever in doubt report here in the forums.
There is a sticky on this issue here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14433.0

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
no i dont mean disable avira guard i mean dont install it when thy ask you to install complete or custom just install scanner,anti-rootkit,and context menu scanner. ;)
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.