Author Topic: Avast! fails again in the Virus Bulletin Test  (Read 36579 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Avast! fails again in the Virus Bulletin Test
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2004, 09:38:38 PM »
From what I can see the free version is still AVG 6.
The AVG 7 is a trial download which you will have to pay for or uninstall after trial period.

Well David, this is Grisoft's policy at the beginning of the version 7.0
Since then, nothing has changed...  :-\

It was the comment by Maxx, that made me take a look only to find that there is NO FREE AVG 7, only a free trial.

@ Maxx - "As I said in another post, I looked at AVG 7 Free last night."

I was just making sure people were aware that AVG 7 is not free, like avast! 4 Home  ;D

I had been using the free version AVG 6 and didn't really like it and found out about avast on the Neowin forumsa nd have been using it since, about five weeks.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ylap

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2004, 01:51:10 PM »
EY, i am happy in how does avast! works. I am using Home edition and i can say that it is easiest to use antivirus program i ever had. And i don't care very much, it passes or not vb100. Half a year i am using avast i had only one virus attack and it wasn't from internet, it was from cd. and avast! coped with it perfectly. I see only progress of this program and i believe, that they are doing the best they can and they have a program they can be proud of.

ylap

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2004, 02:09:11 PM »
Also, i recommend to visit this site people, who aren't sure about avast! abilities and protection quality as vb100 says. But it is not true. Look in  http://bellsouth.com.com/3302-2239-10285256.html and you will find a lot of users reviews about avast! Home, and 96% of them are very good.

Beaky

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2004, 03:40:14 PM »
Yep, I agree with your views about Avast4, unfortunately the reviewer at Clean Computing does not and has down graded Avast4 from 5 to 4 stars because of the last two VB100 results as quoted below:

"UPDATE: Recent tests run by Virus Bulletin suggest some problems. Avast! failed two tests against Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server. We have readjusted our rating based on these tests pending updated tests. We sincerely hope Avast! addresses these issues as expeditiously as possible."

http://www.cleancomputing.com/Software/antivirus.htmlhttp:// >: >:(
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 06:20:56 PM by Beaky »

ylap

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2004, 04:13:25 PM »
Oh, what's pitty! But, as I said, avast! isn't as bad as some people thinks after VB100 tests. And i agree that it is the sign for avast! creators, the they need keep working to do the program better and more reliable. But they're humans, viruses - not, so it is a hard fight, but avast! hold ons tight.

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2004, 07:14:59 PM »
Oh, what's pitty! But, as I said, avast! isn't as bad as some people thinks after VB100 tests. And i agree that it is the sign for avast! creators, the they need keep working to do the program better and more reliable. But they're humans, viruses - not, so it is a hard fight, but avast! hold ons tight.

well review site rating NAV with highest possiblereward is waste of time to visit ...
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

CharleyO

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2004, 05:09:48 AM »

Welcome to the forums, ylap ... nice personal picture/icon!    ;)  

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2004, 05:44:52 AM »
Ya,well I picked up a browser helper(why "they" call it that I'll never know) and avast caught it right away and then about 3 seconds later Spybot says "HELLO!" sooo.... between the two I am still virus free since using avast.This one was about the 50th. virus/worm/bot  stopped by avast since install.If you read the AV newsgroups you'll see many posts about problems with norton and mcafee but not too much about avast ;D
-max

ylap

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2004, 06:30:33 AM »
Thanks CharleyO! I'm trying to look good!  ;D

Kobra

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2004, 07:34:37 AM »
Yep, I agree with your views about Avast4, unfortunately the reviewer at Clean Computing does not and has down graded Avast4 from 5 to 4 stars because of the last two VB100 results as quoted below:

"UPDATE: Recent tests run by Virus Bulletin suggest some problems. Avast! failed two tests against Windows XP Professional and Windows 2003 Server. We have readjusted our rating based on these tests pending updated tests. We sincerely hope Avast! addresses these issues as expeditiously as possible."

http://www.cleancomputing.com/Software/antivirus.htmlhttp:// >: >:(

Thats rediculous.. Any review house that bases their own inhouse reviews on the action of an external testing house doesn't have *ANY* credibility in my eyes.  Not only that, look at the two AV products it gave the golden award too!  Norton and NOD32?!?!??!   Running either of those two products your are guaranteed to infect yourself with more trojans and worms than you can shake a stick at.  Running NOD32 for 3 months, I had no less than 16 Trojans pass through, shortly before switchin to AVK and Avast, the last week I was running NOD32, I had 6 trojans/wurms pass through and nearly infect me.   Norton and NOD32 offer a big, great big, false sense of security.  Do you know why Avast failed the last VB test?  My data says that it was because they missed a single sample of Lovelorn in an HTML file - completely benign in that form, and unable to infect a system.  My question to them is, did they have .HTM* scanning options enabled for on-access and on-demand?  If not, no friggen wonder it failed. I'd like to see a full list of their settings for Avast before i'd even comment on that.

As for Virus Bulletin,  a couple things on them.. First, they are testing only viruses, and viruses that companies all have advanced notice of to begin with!  How reliable is that for a test bed?  Second, they ignore some of the biggest threats facing computer users today, which are wurms, trojans and backdoors/hijackers.  When was the last time there was a true, real, threatening new virus outbreak?  Kaspersky lists the top 24 threats of May, and all of them are wurms/trojans.  So how useful is VB's testing now?  Third, VB has had testing discrepencies in the past, and it brings to question their reliability.  They've rushed tests before, and made critical errors.  They've been known to mis-configure programs on a regular basis.  Are those test results you would fully trust?

Lastly, its COMICAL how some companies, and some people use Virus Bulletin like its the Holy Bible for AV products.  NOD32 overuses them as a marketing tool to the point of making one nauseous!  I send them 2-3 samples that their product missed, and the response I get back is "We didn't detect this by design, its because we didn't want to detect them!  Remember, NOD32 has won more VB awards than anyone!"...  Are you kidding me?  Its like you can't offer legitimate critisim about that product, without having the useless VB awards thrown back into your face adnauseum.  I had enough of that, and promptly requested a refund of my remaining subscription, and uninstalled the bad joke.

Ironically, my real-world, real-use testing has shown Avast to be a remarkably better product. Now if Avast had advanced heuristics, NOD32 would fade off into obscurity, and KAV would have a new boss on the block to contend with.  So lets get those heuristics in!

Beaky

« Reply #55 on: June 10, 2004, 02:03:07 PM »
Korbra,

I agree 100% with your email, I too had a bad experience using NOD32 not only was it leaky it kept crashing my computer.  Never regretted changing to Avast once in the two years I have been using it!  :D