Author Topic: Is it Safe to reboot my laptop now - re update probs 3rd Dec  (Read 2412 times)

Tamba1

Is it Safe to reboot my laptop now - re update probs 3rd Dec
« on: December 04, 2009, 06:19:02 PM »
Hi I am hoping someone can bring me upto date with current status following the recnt update that seems to have caused havoc for so many.. thankfully other than initial scare i do not SEEM to have any problems BUT have not dared restart my pc yet..

I have read sooo many postings along the lines of  "leave avast " "avast messed up my Pc" "Whatever you do don't reboot " etc etc and to be honest my head hurts and am nowhere closer to knowing if I can NOW safely reboot my pc or not.., some say the way to avoid problems is to uninstall avast and reinstall to start afresh and avoid the probs caused by recent update..

In 1 post I read "problem was fixed with the latest VPS-091203-1 updat which I just received automatically through Avast's normal update a few minutes ago."
***************************************************************************************************

According to my own Avast details I am running VPS version - 091203-1 ( 03/12/2009) so does that mean I am safe to reboot my pc as the problem has been fixed? - or do I need to uninstall avast and then reinstall ?

Also based on this recent situation shld I have program updates on notify me ( i do use that setting for other programs) but when I 1st installed Avast and asked for pointers re rcmd settings for Avast the notify me re program updates was not mentioned, so it did not thihnk more about it..

I do remember being advised to have auto virus dbase update option on automatic to keep current but now following this situation is that wise ?

I have only been using Avast a short while and would value your advice

********************************************************************************************
Update - 05.12 Since this initial posting Avast has updated and now am using 091204-0 04/12/2009

Information about current update:
Total time: 7 s

- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 091204-0)

Server: download806.avast.com (74.55.88.194:12080)
Downloaded files: 2 (0.02 KB)
Download time: 1 s

Many Thanks
Tamba1
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 07:14:03 AM by Tamba1 »

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Re: Am I Safe to reboot laptop now re recent update probs Help reqd
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 08:58:06 PM »
I think the VPS now is 091204-0 for 04/14/2009

Do not need to reinstall avast and it is safe in my computer :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Tamba1

Re: Am I Safe to reboot laptop now re recent update probs Help reqd
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 09:17:59 PM »
Hi Cahya thanks for your reply

Yes the current vps on my laptop is also showing as 091204 - 12th Dec 2009  BUT my Avast is still prompting for a restart and I am still  "afraid" to restart ( so I select NO to restart ) until I hopefully get all clear from someone here..

My current update info is

Information about current update:
Total time: 7 s

- Vps: Already up to date
  (current version 091204-0)

Server: download975.avast.com (74.54.138.226:12080)
Downloaded files: 2 (0.02 KB)
Download time: 1 s

Regards Tamba1

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
Re: Is it Safe to reboot my laptop now - re update probs 3rd Dec
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 07:34:20 AM »
Avast only asking for restart if there is upgrade/update in engine.

The engine now is build Sep2009 (4.8.1368), if you have been just update the engine, its normal avast did ask for restart - you may check on the "log viewer".

But I never experienced (as I remembered) a prompt to restart after VPS/definition update.
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11