Author Topic: Boot time scan does not work, just gray screen.  (Read 13585 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Boot time scan does not work, just gray screen.
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
If you have Windoes installation disk or can run Recovery Console you could try Fixboot (and posibly Fixmbr if still no luck).
But very much doubt if this is your problem.

Tech mentioned you're admin accounts. Good idea to have a good look through User Accounts to see the rulings and policies that are active on your computer and what is permitted to you and what is not.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Wildchild-

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
Strange... what is happening in your computer???
How many admin accounts do you have in this computer?

Just my own account and the Admistator account (witch is hidden)

If you have Windoes installation disk or can run Recovery Console you could try Fixboot (and posibly Fixmbr if still no luck).
But very much doubt if this is your problem.

Okay, ill try this..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:20 PM »
Fixboot amd Fixmbr  :o :o
For what? Does not seem to be the problem...
The best things in life are free.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2009, 10:03:54 PM »
I thought perhaps boot problem. But as I said very much doubt standard boot error.

Perhaps virus in mbr? I dont know what could be causing his problem.

If he has Admin hidden and one active user account, then that user account must have full admin privileges. Perhaps boot into Safe Mode, into Admin account, and then schedule boot-time scan there, Restart and see what happens.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Wildchild-

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2009, 10:18:17 PM »
I thought perhaps boot problem. But as I said very much doubt standard boot error.

Perhaps virus in mbr? I dont know what could be causing his problem.

If he has Admin hidden and one active user account, then that user account must have full admin privileges. Perhaps boot into Safe Mode, into Admin account, and then schedule boot-time scan there, Restart and see what happens.

fixboot didnot work and repair mode could not allow to do fixmbr cause is wrong ect ( cant remember/ cant translate that all ;) ). Also i scheduled boot scan via safemode and Admin account, still nothing. Well the last try would be reinstall windows again, but ill try to fix this..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314058
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B315341&x=15&y=0
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/doug92.mspx

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2009, 11:48:24 PM »
I heading out for brk / lunch but Tech if I he cannot write new boot sector (mbr) perhaps something going on with admin rights / rulings / policies (I cant guess at all what) even tho he can get into Administrator. Seems he being held up somewhere like block yet no hard message to screen any time to say this happen.

WildChild what are yr screen messages at any time if they come up.

Also, yeah probably shouldn't advise write new boot record (fixmbr). I often do fixboot and fixmbr as part of standard optimise when repair of Windows or where specific boot problems apparent. I've never had any problems in the least when have run fixmbr as part of general optimise but still the action does not come without warnings.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »
Also, yeah probably shouldn't advise write new boot record (fixmbr). I often do fixboot and fixmbr as part of standard optimise when repair of Windows or where specific boot problems apparent. I've never had any problems in the least when have run fixmbr as part of general optimise but still the action does not come without warnings.   
Mkis, the problem is when you have a problem while booting... then trying to repair could be disastrous.
But, what makes me think is that Wildchild- does not have booting problems.

Right now, I won't suggest anything else before Wildchild- say precisely what is happening.
I don't want to suggest "can't undo" solutions...

Wildchild-

« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2009, 12:54:06 AM »
Overinstallation can solve the problem and you won't lose your programs, settings, data, files, etc.
Just choose 'Repair' installation of Windows and install 'over' the old installation.

Well i have done it so manytimes that i know what will i loose ect ;) I allways backup needed data to other harddisk. Its just on hour job to reinstall / istall all the programs and put settings back in..

WildChild what are yr screen messages at any time if they come up.

Hmm, it said that its not possible to write new or there is no sector. But if u shoose to do this, it maight do damage to ... something... roughly translated and memorised ;D

Also i checked all the registry keys and start programs that i have deleted, and there was no nessacery windows files / avast files, or anything that could do this..

And sorry, i misspelled the fixboot didnot work and. Fixboot did work, fixmbr did not..  :-[
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 12:57:50 AM by Wildchild- »

Wildchild-

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2009, 04:17:43 AM »
Problem solved! One of my HDD was busted. Thats why it didnt start boot time scan. I noticed this cause it did not even start Perfect Disk degrafment.. Eventhought drives S.M.A.R.T status was ok, it was broken. ( Im glad that the drive was allmost empty and it had warranty left)

Thank you all anyway trying solve the problem  8)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2009, 04:23:39 AM »
Hi Wildchild. sorry I've been out to lunch or would have responded earlier. Yr post came in as I was bout to post, but I have sent this off anyway.

What tech says is correct, if repair is not go well this time then outcome can be disaster for you. That is why the action to fix will come with warnings. Personally, I will say now that it is not worth to run fixmbr. To have run fixmbr with fixboot as I said as a general optimise would have been to instate your default Windows boot functions as clean running (as day they were born). This is why I do it as general optimise.

I thought - perhaps with boot all back to default, and clean, maybe boot-time scan would run ok or maybe action would prompt message to screen when runs first time through new boot. Even though unlikely that you have boot problem - you are booting through okay to Windows environment both with user account and Administrator, which pretty much says all. And like Tech says there is definite element of danger when repairing where boot problems. More than that, Tech is very experienced with avast program and is familiar with the many particulars (or peculiarities for avast unique type functions) that come with the running of the program. His advice is good.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
Problem solved! One of my HDD was busted. Thats why it didnt start boot time scan. I noticed this cause it did not even start Perfect Disk degrafment.. Eventhought drives S.M.A.R.T status was ok, it was broken. ( Im glad that the drive was allmost empty and it had warranty left)

Thank you all anyway trying solve the problem  8)

Thanks for the update, good news that you have found the problem, bad news about the HDD though.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security