Author Topic: Avast keeps saying there's a virus  (Read 18476 times)

Gillie2tat

Avast keeps saying there's a virus
« on: June 04, 2004, 01:03:05 AM »
I'm running Windows XP Home on a Pentium IV 3.19 GB Mhz computer with Avast and Kerio firewall free edition - using the Google toolbar as a pop up stopper.  My IE 6 has all its updates and I'm using Spybot to stop spyware.  I'm not running any other antivirus programmes but see last paragraph for further information.

Anyway I ran a full system scan with Avast set to Thorough scan and to scan archive files, I'm using the Demo version.

Of course it came up with the Panda files I've seen mentioned elsewhere in the forum and also a Trojan - Win32:RPCExploit[Trj].  I deleted it during a full scan having disabled System Restore and then restarted and scanned again - and it was still there but the file path read to within the Moved folder within Avast itself.  I then double checked running an online scan with Panda and it was fine, said I was clean.

I looked in the Moved folder but there's nothing showing up in it.

Avast is still coming up with the same Trojan warning every time and this page - http://www.avast.com/i_kat_322.html describes the exact problem I'm having in the first FAQ.

I'm wondering if there is a way to stop Avast coming up with this particular virus alert if the virus isn't really there.  At least that's what I understand from the FAQ, that Avast is just showing that the file has been moved.  The first time I scanned and found virus files I told it to move all the three Panda files and the trojan to the Virus Chest whilst I investigated.

I am not running any other antivirus programme but Symantec which I uninstalled when it started crashing XP suddenly last week is still all over the registry.  Again I'm not sure whether to delete the Symantec registry entries or to leave them.  At the moment I'm not experiencing any system problems except that XP froze on me when I turned System Restore back on and I had to restart and try again - it let me turn System Restore back on the second time though and I have created a Restore Point.

Sorry if I'm waffling I'm trying to give as much information as possible.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Avast keeps saying there's a virus
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 09:41:48 AM »
You can certainly put the referred folder to the list of exclusions - avast! will not scan its content.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 10:50:45 PM »
OK I'm really having problems.  Avast is still coming up saying there is the Win32:RPCExploit[Trj] on my computer and it is insisting that it's in files within Avast.  The exact path is c:/Documents and Settings/Gillie2tat/Local Settings/Temp/_avast4_/ then it goes into a variety of different folders beginning with unp followed by a numerical extension.  It also says that a variety of files with the extension .dmp within the same folder could not be scanned.

Last night it was saying the virus was in the Moved folder.

I don't know how to get it to ignore this - can't figure it out, I don't know whether I SHOULD ignore this or what to do about it.  Is this a known issue?  If I tell Avast to repair all files or to move all files to a folder it gets very very slow - about one file a minute - and my whole computer slows down.

I really need help here, not sure what to do.  Incidentally some screenshots in your FAQs would be helpful to show people what you mean.  I'm at the point of giving up, I've spent two whole evenings trying to resolve this.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 10:52:23 PM by Gillie2tat »

Gillie2tat

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 11:14:15 PM »
Here is a screenshot of some of the files which it said had this virus, which are currently in my Moved folder (I finally decided to try moving files to it to see if they showed up because the Avast folder in the Temp folder in Windows appears to be empty when I navigate to it).  All had the extension .dmp.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 11:15:47 PM »
1. Clear your temporary internet  files.

2. This is the avast chest folder were it unpacks (unp) files to scan them. If I remember rightly avast shouldn't scan that folder _avast4_ as this is the location of avast virus chest?

3. You go to the virus chest and delete the files in it, either naviagate to it or Start avast Scanner, from the menu, select Virus Chest. This will show you all the files safely secured in the chest, from here you can delete them.

4. When you say. 'the moved folder,' was this within system restore, _avast4_ or are you talking about another location?

David
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 11:23:43 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gillie2tat

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 11:16:32 PM »
ANd I finally found the folder in the file path c:/Documents and Settings/Gillie2tat/Local Settings/Temp/_avast4_/.  Here is what it shows and it's saying those files are infected.  Should I move them all to the Moved folder?  It's unable to delete them and I'm not sure whether I can just remove them manually and then empty the Recycle Bin.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 11:42:22 PM »
Hi David,

Thank you for answering so quickly.

"When you say. 'the moved folder,' was this within system restore, _avast4_ or are you talking about another location?"

I'm talking about the folder c:/Program Files/Alwil Software/Avast/Data/Moved.

"Clear your temporary internet  files."

I've cleared my cache in both Netscape and IE to empty the Temporary Internet Files folder.  I do that regularly anyway.  However the files causing the problem are in c:/Documents and Settings/Gillie2tat/Local Settings/Temp/_avast4_/, not in my Temporary Internet Files folder.

"you go to the virus chest and delete the files in it, either naviagate to it or Start avast Scanner, from the menu, select Virus Chest. This will show you all the files safely secured in the chest, from here you can delete them. "

Part of the problem is that Avast can't put those files into the Virus Chest, it just comes up with an error saying it was unable to move the file though it is able to move the unp files to the Moved Files folder within Avast/Data. I tried navigating to the folder within the Virus Chest but none of the virus files are within it.  If it shouldn't scan certain folders why is it doing so and how do I stop it from doing so?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 11:49:01 PM by Gillie2tat »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 11:48:12 PM »
We posted almost at the same time, so as you can see this is the avast chest location, how can you check that.

"Start avast Scanner, from the menu, select Virus Chest. This will show you all the files safely secured in the chest, from here you can delete them. "

David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Gillie2tat

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
As you can see from my screenshot, no files are showing up in my Virus Chest which they would if Avast had been able to move them to the Virus Chest and I did ask it to several times.  I modified my answer whilst you were posting so if you would be kind enough to double check that nothing has been missed I'd be very grateful.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2004, 11:52:55 PM by Gillie2tat »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2004, 12:16:42 AM »
As a temporary measure you could add the path to _avast4_ to the list of folders that are not checked by avast.

Click on the avast icon and select Standard Shield > Customize > Advanced Tab > add the path to the _avast4_ folder, you don't need to add sub folders they are excluded by default.

This will hopefully get rid of the nagging screen (the files are in a location that they are not going to be activated) and you should be perfectly safe.

Catch up tomorrow.

David

dadkins_1

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »
Just a thought, instead of having avast move the files... when they are detected Delete them permanently? That will make sure they are truly gone(I never have the "nasties" moved, they get deleted permanently.)

Gillie2tat

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2004, 10:28:40 AM »
This is the other problem it won't delete them, again says there was an error.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2004, 05:11:05 PM »
Ok I have one other thought - can I move them to the Moved folder and delete them manually from there?  Or even just delete the _avast4_ folder from the Temp folder (c:/Documents and Settings/Gillie2tat/Local Settings/Temp/_avast4_/) and empty the Recycle Bin?   Presumably if Avast puts them in the Temp folder whilst it's installing them it doesn't need them any more - it's been installed for about thirteen days now and my understanding is that it's safe to delete files from the Temp folder after they're about a week old?

It doesn't seem to be picking up that this virus is anywhere else on my system.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2004, 01:24:16 AM »
I am STILL trying to get rid of this trojan that Avast says I have on my computer.  Nothing works, it can't delete the files, it can't repair them, it moves them but when I restart there are more of these .unp files in the Temp/_avast4_ folder mentioned above, it's also coming up that it's in two of my system files.  I checked the Avast virus database, it's on the ITW list and it's an EXE virus but other than that there's no information at all.

Can somebody please help I don't want to lose my computer!

Gillie2tat

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2004, 11:52:47 AM »
The system files it says have the virus are c:/WINDOWS/system32/crashlog.tar.gz/crashlog.tar/Memory.dmp and c:/WINDOWS/system32/crashlog.tar.gz/crashlog.tar

Is this anything to do with System Restore by any chance?  The only symptom I have at the moment is that when I turn off System Restore having run Avast and restart, the computer freezes when I try to turn it on again.  I have to switch off the power (not the best way to restart your puter) and restart and then it lets me switch System Restore back on.  As it's in the crashlog memory file I'm wondering if it's something to do with XP's and Avast's caching system.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 01:08:23 PM by Gillie2tat »