Author Topic: AshWebSv.exe too many connect attempts. Broadband goes out  (Read 5647 times)

madara

AshWebSv.exe too many connect attempts. Broadband goes out
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:32:21 AM »
So finally after over a year of dealing with Time Warner, new modem, dozens of tech visits that never resolve why I am losing my internet connection so often I find the Event Viewer tool.
Listed is hundreds of this error: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts
Followed by:  The IP address lease XX.XXX.XX.XXX for the Network Card with network address XXXXXXXXXXXX has been denied by the DHCP server XXX.XXX.XXX.X
This is timestamped during the time I get a resolving host timeouts and my whole internet goes out. Finally a lead to this nightmare I further find that typing Netstat -no in command prompt and finding the process with the aid of task manager that having a large number of open connections is my problem.

AshWebSv.exe PID 544 is the culprit! Had over Sixteen connections listed.

Using Service Pack 3 XP, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, and obvious Avast!

YoKenny

Re: AshWebSv.exe too many connect attempts. Broadband goes out
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »
I use CurPorts from Nirsoft and AshWebSv.exe only has 3 connections:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

What browser are you using?

madara

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 02:46:46 AM »
The last six months I started using Google Chrome but Firefox was doing the same thing.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 02:51:07 AM »
I use neither.

I have IE8 tuned up that its safe and fast for me.

I tried Orca it was just as fast as IE8 for me.

madara

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »
Okay I used your Currports, it lists over 59 open Ashwebsv.exe connections. How many should be open? If I have 15 tabs open on chrome?

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »
I don't use Chrome but it looks like Chrome uses lots of connections to speed up browsing causing the problem.

madara

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 03:00:10 PM »
Lol, Firefox gave me same issue so doubt its Chrome.Sounds more like pro microsoft ad then real advice. Guess i go AVG then.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 03:06:15 PM by madara »

Offline Soure73

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 04:22:29 PM »
 I don't think your problem is Avast, AshWebSv.exe is the Avast web scanner, it scans all connections but doesn't create any i think.
 Your problem is the connection limit of Windows xp sp3! Check this: http://www.niharsworld.com/2008/07/30/increase-torrents-speed-change-open-tcp-connection-limit-windows-xp-sp3/  or download this program that i use "xp-antispy" here: http://www.xp-antispy.org/index.php/lang-en
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 06:15:51 PM by Soure73 »
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

YoKenny

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2009, 05:30:08 PM »
@Soure73
I'm glad its not avast! causing the problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
madara, Soure73 is right.

I don't think your problem is Avast, AshWebSv.exe is the Avast web scanner, it scans all connections but doesn't create any i think.
Some other program is trying to connect (browser, downloader, etc.).
The TCP/IP limit is for Windows XP only if I'm not wrong. Problem is not on Vista.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Soure73

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2009, 10:11:06 PM »
Okay I used your Currports, it lists over 59 open Ashwebsv.exe connections. How many should be open? If I have 15 tabs open on chrome?

I see that you have 59 or more connections, i advise you to patch your windows to at least 100 or more connections to prevent problems in the future.

Good luck! ;)
HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit