Author Topic: Do I Need to Do Avast "Quickscan"?  (Read 7909 times)

dansorin

Re: Do I Need to Do Avast "Quickscan"?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 12:11:42 PM »
there is no need to setup avast for an "extra-scanning". avast is scanning files on-access. this is the core philosophy of any resident antivirus. if anyone doesn't trust avast then it should change it.

Jesant13

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 01:37:03 PM »
there is no need to setup avast for an "extra-scanning". avast is scanning files on-access. this is the core philosophy of any resident antivirus. if anyone doesn't trust avast then it should change it.

Okay thanks. I just wanted to make sure. I've disabled the option through MSN so Avast will automatically do it.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 01:40:21 PM »
Is there a need to set Windows Live Messenger to automatically scan files for viruses using "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe" or would Avast automatically do that itself without having to configure Windows Live Messenger?
Left click the 'a' blue icon. Details button.
Standard Shield and IM providers should show which is being scanned.
The best things in life are free.

norel

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 01:42:56 AM »
Regarding files downloaded from the Internet, the User's Guide says, "If this box is checked (Intelligent Stream Scanning), files that are downloaded are scanned almost in real time. The pieces of data are scanned as soon as they arrive and the next parts are downloaded only when the previous parts are verified to be virus-free. If this feature is disabled, the whole files will be downloaded to a temporary folder first, and then scanned."

If Web Scanning is set to "Scan all files," it sounds like Avast should automatically scan all downloaded files in one of two ways. Better safe than sorry though if there is any doubt. :)

norel

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 05:26:43 AM »
Tech, I see what you mean now about Free Download Manager turning off Avast's automatic scanning. I've been playing with it and when the download finishes Avast's icon doesn't do anything unless you have FDM's scanning turned on, then it kicks in a forces Avast to scan. With DownThemAll! and Firefox's built-in downloader Avast scans automatically.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
Regarding files downloaded from the Internet, the User's Guide says, "If this box is checked (Intelligent Stream Scanning), files that are downloaded are scanned almost in real time. The pieces of data are scanned as soon as they arrive and the next parts are downloaded only when the previous parts are verified to be virus-free. If this feature is disabled, the whole files will be downloaded to a temporary folder first, and then scanned."

If Web Scanning is set to "Scan all files," it sounds like Avast should automatically scan all downloaded files in one of two ways. Better safe than sorry though if there is any doubt. :)
Norel, the "problem" is how download managers work. They cut the traffic in pieces to accelerate the download. You can have unexpected results when cutting.
The best things in life are free.