Author Topic: No browsers will open after V5.0.462 is Installed  (Read 5583 times)

dyanne2

No browsers will open after V5.0.462 is Installed
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:26:11 AM »
Is anyone else having this problem?  Everything worked fine with the old version.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: No browsers will open after V5.0.462 is Installed
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:40:34 AM »
Do you mean they won't open or you can't browse ?

What is your firewall ?
Does it allow avastSvc.exe internet access ?
- If it does delete the entry for it and reconnect to the internet, this should force the firewall to ask permission again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dyanne2

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:07:02 AM »
I'm sorry, IE and Firefox open but I get an error message saying "cannot display the webpage"  I use Zone Alarm and I clicked to allow access when I was prompted.  I'm not sure how to do that (avastSvc.exe ) but I'll try to find out.  Thanks for your quick reply.

dyanne2

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:33:01 AM »
Ok, I think I found it and did as you said.  I was asked to allow Avast to have internet access again.  I clicked allow, and I still can't use any browsers.  I aslo called my IP and they said everything was fine when they tested things on their end.  They think it is a setting in Avast itself.  I never had the problem with the older version.  I'm about to do a system restore, but I really don't want to have to do that.    :'(

dyanne2

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 04:44:16 AM »
I just tried to open Firefox, and the same thing happened.  ZA asked to allow access for Avast, I clicked allow and I still can't use either of them.

Offline Chris Thomas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Christian Geek - aka 'born again' Geek
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 04:59:59 AM »
@ dyanne

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=56997.0

Zemana Antilogger Compatibility

AntiVir, Avast, AVG, Avira ,BitDefender ,BullGuard, CA ,Comodo DriveSentry ,Emsi Software, F-Secure    FRISK Software, GeSWall, Ikarus, Kaspersky,    Keyscrambler, Lavasoft, Malwarebytes,    McAfee,    Microsoft Defender, Norman, NOD32, Norton, Outpost Firewall ,Panda ,   PCTools ,Prevx, Rising, Sana Security ,Sanboxie ,Secunia,    Sophos ,Spywareblaster, Sunbelt ,   SUPERAntiSpyware, Symantec ,   Tallemu, Trend Micro,    WebRoot, Zone Alarm.

dyanne2

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 05:20:15 AM »
Thanks Chris.  I uninstalled Zemana. I am new to this forum and couldn't find that other post.  If I shut down avast,  both browsers work fine...so, wouldn't you think it has to be an avast setting?     

waking

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:59 AM »
ZA asked to allow access for Avast, I clicked allow and I still can't use either of them.

And "ZA" is what, exactly? I assumed "Zone Alarm", but I see mention  of
"Zemana Antilogger". Acronyms are fine, *after* you first define them.

Offline Gandalf1369

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
....  I use Zone Alarm and I clicked to allow access when I was prompted.  .......

The OP stated it was Zone Alarm . . . . .
Windows 10 (64bit); 8GB RAM; Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro; avast Free (latest version)

dyanne2

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:28:36 PM »
I ended up having to do a system restore with Comodo Time Machine. My regular system restore stopped working a long time ago for some reason. The only bad thing about this program is that it also deletes my Incredimail and browser Favorites from the restore point on. ( I have no idea of how to get these back) I also had to redo my Windows updates.

The good news is, that I now have the Avast V4.8 back again. (I did the updates)

The bad news is, that I am getting that nag screen saying that my license is going to expire. How do I just "renew" the license without getting the new version?

Thanks for all of your replies

Offline maxmai

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 12:14:39 AM »

I know that I'm not having this problem is not going to help you. I installed Avast for the first time this morning and also have ZoneAlarm running. my reason for using avast is that I was using AVG but when they updated yesterday,I couldn't open Google and other webpages,using firefox and IE; I needed to use system restore to goback to the prior version ( their forum is replete with others having the same problem)---so far,no problems with avast.

sded

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:14 AM »
By "old version" in your first post did you mean 4.8?  Was 5.0.462 the first of series 5 you have installed, or did you previously have 5.0.xxx running successfully?. 
First, you may want to turn zone alarm off (you are using free?) and turn on the Windows Firewall temporarily to see if that solves the problem.
If so, you can look at what is blocked in zone alarm for something that shouldn't be.
If not,
There have been issues on the best way to do the avast! transition.  Suggest:
Uninstall current avast! version with add/remove programs
reboot
run the avast! uninstaller in the sticky on this forum
reboot
reinstall 5.0.462

dyanne2

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 03:20:06 AM »
4.8 was my old version.  5.0.462 was the first 5 version I knew of.  I just did updates as they requested, but this last one was telling me that my license was about to expire.  I did look in zone alarm and allowed everything under avast.

Max, not quite the same but I feel a little better knowing that I wasn't alone...lol.

I finally got the license renewed for the 4.8.  Next time I think that I'll read the Avast forums before making a stupid move like I did. 

The only other time I had a real problem with avast was when I let them auto-install updates and it flagged ALL of my programs as malware. 

I actually kinda liked the new interface, but I'd rather have the older version and no problems.

Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions... they are greatly appreciated.