Author Topic: INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 (beta)  (Read 33006 times)

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Avast shall conquer the whole world
Re:INTRODUCING: avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 (beta)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2004, 03:15:15 PM »
Vlk,

I wouldn't published the avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 final release until is fully checked, and you should wait at least a month before you publish the lateat software on the web.

Question how many people at the Alwil company is testing the software?
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

drahnier

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2004, 03:30:57 PM »
please give us the current virus database (0423-1 is old)!

OK it should be there. It was not THAT old ;) but I understand.

skins: I would like to see something as inheritance of current XP skin.

I don't understand. You mean like color pallette etc? I'm afraid that would be quite difficult to do... And could also look pretty ugly under non-standard themes.

Anyway I'm glad the beta works OK for those who've tried it so far...

Thanks
Vlk

thanks for the virus data base. i feel safer now!

what i mean is: avast should have a skinning option in a way it uses the current windows xp theme. e. g., if you have applied xp's luna olive theme to your desktop settings, all avast window decorations (and dialogs) should also look like luma olive (same look and feel). - in the past i have done some work in user interface design (and usability) and i think cross-application consistency is a big plus.

version 4.1.407 is doing it's job. no preblems so far.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2004, 03:47:43 PM »
Vlk,

I wouldn't published the avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 final release until is fully checked, and you should wait at least a month before you publish the lateat software on the web.

Question how many people at the Alwil company is testing the software?

SpeedyPC, I respect your opinion, but mine is that the users could 'remain' with the old version (not updating the program automatically).
Other users could update easily. I don't think Alwil does not work hard before releasing an update. If you feel so - no program has no bugs or errors - you could remain with the stable old one.
But, like I said, it's just my personal opinion  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2004, 03:51:06 PM »
what i mean is: avast should have a skinning option in a way it uses the current windows xp theme. e. g., if you have applied xp's luna olive theme to your desktop settings, all avast window decorations (and dialogs) should also look like luma olive (same look and feel). - in the past i have done some work in user interface design (and usability) and i think cross-application consistency is a big plus.

If I'm not wrong Drahnier, this happens with the Professional version.
Skinnable applications - that I know - do not 'follow' the rules of windows schemes, that is precisely the reason of the skin: different appearance  ::)
Anyway, Sasha has the final word as you can read before  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2004, 03:52:52 PM »
there is plenty of skins in skin download section, and there will be more skins in the future (promise)... everyone can find something for him/herself. Let our Alwil coders do their job regarding avast functionality, which is much more important than skin issue...

Sasha, we, the users, allways said that skins are not the problem while the program is being updated... Few days more and skins are the most important thing... We're going from the programming to graphical priorities from time to time  ;D

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2004, 05:45:29 PM »
No problem Technical my friend... you said right (very good point):

If I'm not wrong Drahnier, this happens with the Professional version.
Skinnable applications - that I know - do not 'follow' the rules of windows schemes, that is precisely the reason of the skin: different appearance

If people don't like skins, no one forces them to use them... there is always Pro version of avast, where you can have theme in avast! windows looking exactly like default Windows theme that you use currently...

Let's just say, we can put this just like one more advantage of Pro version... so if you wanna have it all, pay for it... it's almost always like that... Alwil guys can make no-skin version of avast Home Edition... I can't. I can make just skins...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 05:46:15 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2004, 12:12:58 PM »
So if i understand right this new version takes advantage of AMD64 processors under normal 32bit Windows XP? Or did i misunderstood that :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2004, 12:31:41 PM »
I wouldn't published the avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 final release until is fully checked

Build 407 is not a "final" release, it's beta... and it's announced as that - nobody forces you to install it! I believe betatesting by volunteers is quite a common practice with many respectable software companies.

and you should wait at least a month before you publish the lateat software on the web.

A month is the usual frequency of avast! updates.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2004, 01:26:31 PM »
So if i understand right this new version takes advantage of AMD64 processors under normal 32bit Windows XP? Or did i misunderstood that

You misundestood that. Now, the current version of avast (4.1.396) does NOT work correctly in AMD64/WinXPSP2 environement. For each and every file scanned, it returns "Internal Program Error".  :-\

The beta is trying to fix this.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2004, 02:01:53 PM »
No hehe i meant for this new version. Well i got the answer in your post :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2004, 02:02:21 PM »
So if i understand right this new version takes advantage of AMD64 processors under normal 32bit Windows XP? Or did i misunderstood that

You misundestood that. Now, the current version of avast (4.1.396) does NOT work correctly in AMD64/WinXPSP2 environement. For each and every file scanned, it returns "Internal Program Error".  :-\

The beta is trying to fix this.

Vlk

Vlk,

I have a question about the new Avast version, will the avast! Home/Pro 4.1.407 final release when it comes out. Will it work on WinXPSP1 platforum??????? Cause I am not ready to upgrade to SP2 when the final release comes out for at least 5 months until is safe to download the final version of SP2.
Gigabyte 670 LGA1200 Full ATX MB | Intel Core i9-13900 CPU/LGA 1700 | GeForce Nvidia RTX-4070/12GB | 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB Samsung SSD | W11 Home 64bit | Avast Premium v24.3.6108 | Avast SecureLine VPN | Avast Secure Browser | Avast Driver Updater | Avast BreachGuard | Firefox 64bit | MalwareBytes Premium | Adguard Premium | CCleaner Portable | Macrium Reflect | 7-Zip

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2004, 02:06:05 PM »
Of course, it will work as it works now, no need to update to SP2 (from the avast's point of view).
The problem with SP2 is that for AMD64 CPUs, it introduces new security "improvements" (support for non-executable stack) - and the current version (396) of avast! is not compatible with this new feature.

Offline SpeedyPC

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2004, 02:09:17 PM »
Of course, it will work as it works now, no need to update to SP2 (from the avast's point of view).
The problem with SP2 is that for AMD64 CPUs, it introduces new security "improvements" (support for non-executable stack) - and the current version (396) of avast! is not compatible with this new feature.

Thanks Igor for you current feedback report, just nee to right this down just in case I forget.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2004, 02:10:36 PM »
Of course it will support SP1, and it already support SP1. I'm using it and I'm very happy so far... no problems at all. It does it's job perfectly...

Btw, thanks Igor for Color-change-commands for Detailed info on performed action Windows... now I can set it easy the way I like it to be...

Thanks again !

P.S. You need an avatar Igor ? Just let me know...

S.Z.C
« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 02:12:11 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2004, 08:16:08 PM »
Btw, thanks Igor for Color-change-commands for Detailed info on performed action Windows... now I can set it easy the way I like it to be...

Glad you like it. After you do the tuning, you may post your settings somewhere (probably to the original thread on the topic) as an example for other people (with a small screenshot, perhaps).

P.S. You need an avatar Igor ? Just let me know...

Thanks for the offer.
Honestly, I think I can live even without it... I don't know what should my avatar "represent" anyway.