Author Topic: whitespace sequence  (Read 4611 times)

llorton

whitespace sequence
« on: June 04, 2004, 05:45:11 PM »
am getting this warning when I send out new Word docs. Have scanned docs with no adverse results. Any idea what whitespace sequence means?

TIA

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:whitespace sequence
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 05:50:03 PM »
Can you post a screen shot of what you mean?

You mean the Suspicious Message alert?

Whitespace sequence basically means that the file name contains more than 1 space in row which is considered suspicious as that's what many viruses are doing to try to push the real file extension off the screen...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 05:58:29 PM »
If I'm not mistaken (wouldn't be the first time  ;) ), somewhere in the Advanced settings there's a place where you can select how many consecutive spaces it takes to trigger the alert.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

llorton

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004, 05:59:33 PM »
that is probably the isse -

see attachment.

new Word doc with lots of spaces for formatting.
Is there a way, short of turning off outgoing scan completely, to eliminate this warning?

BTW, thanks for impressively quick response

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2004, 06:14:58 PM »
llorton wait a moment, we're talking about the NAME of the file, not its contents... Does the file name contain larger number of spaces?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

llorton

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 06:38:40 PM »
ah yes -  to save some time in creating about 100 small files, I am using the behavior of Word to name the file by default with the first non - blank line up to any hyphen, tab or other demarcator.

My first line is always a number followed by 3 spaces and then the subject thus giving an offending filename.

Thanks for solving the why - is there a way short of changing my process to shut this off?

TIA

Lew

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 07:09:53 PM »
Click the avast icon on the system tray. Select the Internet Mail, click customize. Select the Heuristic Tab, select  Custom in the slider scale, this allows access to the Whitespace sequence check. You can either disable it or change the number of spaces.

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

llorton

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 07:35:33 PM »
thanks to all for answers and solution