Author Topic: Windows Vista Glitch?  (Read 4278 times)

macmomma08

Windows Vista Glitch?
« on: October 04, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »
Hi, been googling this issue and just wanted to get an idea of how this happened.

I'm used to Vista acting out (even when all my scans come up clean), but recently I had to reinstall Vista as my admin account was corrupted. I could get into it in safe mode, but as I didn't know where to go from there, I decided to just wipe it.

Basically, one day for no apparent reason, my admin account gave me this message:
"The user profile service failed the log on. User profile cannot be loaded."

My standard account had still worked fine, so I don't get how this happened. Most of the threads I see are about restoring to earlier date and other stuff, but what I really want to know is why.

Why would this happen just randomly out of the blue? Is Vista really that buggy?

Also had one more question - no matter how many times I restart, check for updates or anything, I can't get Vista Service pack 2 to pop up in windows update (people have told me it's out).

And, I had this problem before I formatted as well. I just don't get it. I have tried time after time to download it manually, but if it gets interrupted for any reason and for any amount of time, no matter how short, the file becomes unusable and I have to start all over again.

I have no idea what's causing this, and it just ticks me off. At this point if I could take my mac mini cds and install Jaguar I would be one very happy camper. :(

I emailed Microsoft, but they basically completely ignored my actual question and focused on telling me to install the SP (LOL).

Hermite15

Re: Windows Vista Glitch?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 10:58:21 PM »
then you shouldn't ignore their advice to install the SP. It might indeed solve your issue  ;)

edit: if you don't get it from Win update, which is weird, then download it directly and do a manual install.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a4dd31d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

ps: you're running a legit copy of Vista right ?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 11:04:54 PM by Logos »

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 12:19:36 AM »
In order to install sp2,you must have sp1 installed in the first place or otherwise sp2 won't show up in the windows update
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

macmomma08

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
Yes, I am running a legitimate version of vista that came with the computer. I also already have sp1 installed (it was already on the computer).

And the weirdest part? I checked the other day, it's not missing OTHER updates - downloaded two new security updates just a day ago. But for some bloody reason it will not detect SP2 in it's download.

Also, like I said I have tried multiple times to download from the Microsoft website, the problem with that is my internet. I have DSL, but it's not very good, seems to get interrupted alot. So if anything (and I mean anything, a SNEEZE could disrupt this download) messes with the Download I'm back at square one.

So the idiots at M.S. tell me to install the SP2 when I asked them if there is another way I can get SP2...yeah, that's helpful.

I'm hoping they release it on disc soon like they did for XP, because right now it looks like there is absolutely no way for me to get it. :(

Hermite15

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:31:53 PM »
go to Technet forums and report that  ;) I don't think there will be a CD like there's been for XP SP2. There was none for Vista SP1, well as far as i know...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 04:33:25 PM by Logos »

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:35:21 PM »
I've seen that on a number of Vista systems so far.  I just figured that it was missing a few prerequisite updates, so it didn't show SP2 yet.

I usually just download SP2 from microsoft anyway, and install it manually.

It's still a mystery to me as to why it shows up as an update on some systems, and doesn't for others...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Hermite15

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:46:08 PM »
@ macmomma08: use a download manager, the SP2 download is resumable if interrupted. There's no way you could miss it if you proceed that way, whatever time it takes on your connection.

macmomma08

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:34:35 AM »
@ macmomma08: use a download manager, the SP2 download is resumable if interrupted. There's no way you could miss it if you proceed that way, whatever time it takes on your connection.

What do you mean by 'download manager'? Doesn't firefox just naturally do that?

I know for stuff like WoW and DDO and things I can pause and come back whenever I want. Firefox has that option too, tried it with the SP and it didn't work, it said the file was useless and wouldn't let me pick up where it left off.

Is this a firefox issue then?

Hermite15

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:10:19 AM »

What do you mean by 'download manager'? Doesn't firefox just naturally do that?

I know for stuff like WoW and DDO and things I can pause and come back whenever I want. Firefox has that option too, tried it with the SP and it didn't work, it said the file was useless and wouldn't let me pick up where it left off.

Is this a firefox issue then?

Firefox has an integrated download manager, with limited abilities. An additional and external to the browser download manager has the ability to resume a download later if the connection has been interrupted, as long as the server you download from allows it.
  Firefox integrated download manager can resume sometimes a just paused download, sometimes...but is completely unable to do that if the connection was completely lost. With an addtional and external download manager, you can even reboot and continue. As to the SP2 download, you'd never be able to do that with Firefox alone.

edit: OK I'm gonna tell you before you ask; download a download manager (eg http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/ ); install it and also install the flashgot extension for Firefox and point it in its options to your new download manager. It's better since this will give you the ability at each download to choose between Firefox native download manager and the external one. Without the extension, the external would monitor Firefox and completely replace Firefox native download manager and that's not what you want for small daily downloads. If you still have issues with that, just ask  ;)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 10:28:19 AM by Logos »