Author Topic: Virus Chest  (Read 3691 times)

Justinian

Virus Chest
« on: June 04, 2004, 10:47:08 PM »
I just started using Avast! last week so I'll preface this by acknowledging I am a novice -- Under "system files" in my chest I have 3 dll files that show up: kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll. The original location for all 3 is C:\Windows\system32. Are these virii or trojans or something malicious? If so, can I safely delete them from the chest? Thanks in advance for any insight or suggestions.

cjtc

Re:Virus Chest
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 10:31:18 PM »
Funny you say that. I have the exact same thing. It's always intrigued me. Look forward to reading the answer.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 12:38:41 AM »
1. If they are in the chest, they are out of harms way and can be left until absolutly sure.

2. Although windows\system32 is a windows system directory, there are many virus programs thet place their payload there in the hope that people will not delete them, thinking they are system files.

3. If they were system files and they are no longer in the windows\system32 then windows would be the first to create havoc and probably fail to work.

4. Google is a very good source of information, as are these forums, by doing a search on the filenames "kernel32.dll virus", etc. you should probably come up with the truth.

This is just one, there are many pointing to legit files
http://www.viruslist.com/eng/viruslist.html?id=3954

HTH David
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

whocares

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 07:25:47 PM »
Hi guys,

reading helps..:
 ;)
what do you think the little tabs/symbols to the left of the chest are for ...?

yes, there are several categories/areas in the Chest:
the ones you mentioned imho can be found in System area of chest (BAckups of important system files) and are GOOD -> don't delete them

files in the Virus.section are BAD (though harmless here)
--> if your system still works well after some reboots, you can delete them

then there's user section (your own stuff)
and another one, which shows all together..
 ;)