Author Topic: Symantec On Demand Scanner interferes with Avast Pro  (Read 10407 times)

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Symantec On Demand Scanner interferes with Avast Pro
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2009, 04:07:56 PM »
Have you tried Symantec/norton forum/support?

suggestion number 1 by norton forums : remove avast!, which is obvious.

petek

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:01 PM »

Actually, that could be the solution. I'll try removing Avast, then remove Norton before reinstalling Avast. Could do the trick.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2009, 04:32:32 PM »

Actually, that could be the solution. I'll try removing Avast, then remove Norton before reinstalling Avast. Could do the trick.

try it.

petek

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2009, 08:39:31 PM »
try it.

I did, and it worked ! I've reinstalled Avast and now I have all my nice providers up and running and protecting me ! Marvellous. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2009, 08:45:11 PM »
JIPPIIIIIIII...... ;D ;D ;D

OBS: and don`t forget to install MBAM and SAS
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:47:55 PM by Pondus »

petek

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 08:44:09 AM »
I have the freeby of MBAM but I don't have SAS anymore. Isn't having the two as well as Avast a bit overkill ? Do I really need it ? We're pretty safe surfers here and rarely encounter any problems.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 08:50:41 AM by petek »

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
I did, and it worked ! I've reinstalled Avast and now I have all my nice providers up and running and protecting me ! Marvellous. Thanks for all your help everyone.

you are welcome.

glad that someone got help from me.

nmb

petek

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Well, I spoke too soon. When I booted the PC this evening, it froze in exactly the same way ! So I rebooted in safe mode, removed Avast, used the Avast cleanup utility and cleaned the registry with Ccleaner and rebooted. Windows opened correctly. So I gave Avast Home and try and it froze in the same way. I wonder what the problem is ? It could be because I installed Avast initially when Norton was already running (without me realizing). One thing I could therefore attempt is to do a system restore to a date before I installed Avast. That would be around the beginning of September when my NOD32 licence expired. Could do the trick. I'll give it a try unless someone can think of a better way to do this.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 05:43:39 AM »
Are you sure norton uninstaller was run correctly?

nmb

Shubham

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:37 AM »
I suggest you to install another copy of windows in another hard-disk without formatting it if you have precious data in it.

Then, boot your PC to the newer windows.
Then open boot.ini and delete the path of the previous window. Then you can Format the drive of the previous windows after removing the precious data from there and work in the new windows. Your data and PC will be saved

petek

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 11:55:58 AM »
Well I restored the PC and there is now no trace of Avast. I attempted to remove NOD32 but was prevented because a file called setup.exe is damaged or missing (its there in Nod's setup folder but when I click on it I get the same message). According to Eset/NOD, this could be caused by there being a version of Norton on  the HDD. So, I successfully removed Norton, ran its wipe application and used CCleaner to clean the registry. So, now no Norton but I still get the same error message when I try and delete NOD. I've posted on NOD's forum to see whether they have any ideas. Otherwise, I'll have to remove the programme manually.

I can't reinstall windows because this is a PC I brought back from my work so I don't have the Windows CD, otherwise I could use a CD from another machine, but that ain't quite legal is it ? Oh well, back to the drawing board....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
Well I restored the PC and there is now no trace of Avast. I attempted to remove NOD32
Do you mean you have NOD32 installed all this time and at the same time trying to install AVAST ?

Multiple Antivirus Apps on One PC? http://tech.yahoo.com/blog/null/39904
Clash Of The Antivirus Apps http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles%2F2003%2Fs1407%2F38s07%2F38s07.asp

I could use a CD from another machine, but that ain't quite legal is it ?

You can do that, under your machine there is a Windows stikker/tag and the lisense for your machine should be on it,
so you type in that lisense when the cd ask

petek

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 09:34:58 PM »
Man United - good man !

Do you mean you have NOD32 installed all this time and at the same time trying to install AVAST ?

No, NOD32 was removed beforehand. Norton wasn't however as I didn't realize it was there (this is an old PC which was handed down from my workplace). So Avast was installed when Norton was still there : bang ! Anyway, I restored the machine to a date somewhere at the end of July, succeeded in removing Norton and NOD32 and using both programmes' wipe applications and CCleaner, completely removed them  from the machine. The little red Windows shield then showed up informing me that NOD32 was disabled (but as far as I was concerned, it had been completely removed !) and that there was no anti virus protection so I then installed Avast and once again the PC froze. So, back to square one.

I might have to reinstall Windows, or bin the PC as it must be all of 6 years old anyway now. Very frustrating.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:38:14 PM by petek »