Author Topic: How slow is your Firefox?  (Read 14045 times)

Avastfan1

How slow is your Firefox?
« on: October 06, 2009, 01:37:29 PM »
Dear Forum,

How slow does your Firefox run and how much CPU and 'mem usage' does it take up?

Firefox 3.5.3 runs at around 209k mem usage on my task manager. It also runs very slowly.

A full boot-time scan with Avast, MBAM full scan and SAS scan show no malware or viruses. HJT log is also clean. Secunia also shows no unsecured applications. All Window$ updates have also been applied.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips they have tried which could increase the speed?

Thanks in advance.

Avastfan1

I am running Firefox 3.5.3 on an IBM T43 with 1.86GHz and 1GB Ram. My setup is as follows:

- Window$ XP Pro SP3
- Avast Pro 4.8.1356
- ZoneAlarm Pro 9.0.114.000
- MBAM 1.41 (resident protection module enabled)
- NoScript 1.9.9.07
- Adblock Plus 1.1.1
- Dr. Web anti-virus link checker 1.0.20
- Finjan secure browsing 1.314

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
Re: How slow is your Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
 It was naturally heavy and some tweaks may lighten it up, only a little. As far as I could say, portable firefox would be the lightest version of it.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:22 PM »
Hi L'Arc,

Thanks for your post. Do you mean that my setup or the latest version of Firefox is heavy?

Thanks,

Avastfan1

Offline Cahya Legawa

• Oh, here we are again.
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:03:21 PM »
I use the Fx 3.5.3, and on the task manager it consumes memories about 158K. And to open this page on 64kbps connection's speed, only took time about 5 seconds :)
Avast Security Premium - Windows 10, Android, iPadOS. | Avast One Free - Windows 11

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 02:21:32 PM »

cinchez

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39:13 PM »
Mine is 89K with 3 tabs open, including this one^^

Maximum launch time: about 4 secs or something like that^^

Net speed: Ultra slow, slower than 56kbps...:(

-AnimeLover^^
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 02:40:57 PM by +AdDicT+ »

Sesame

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:14:57 PM »
Around 80-90 something k memory usage with 11 addons.  Avastfan1 mentioned memory usage but memory usage of Firefox has been greatly improved since Firefox 3.  I think somebody has already posted this but here is a browser speed comparison tests by Lifehacker.  Firefox seems to be not as good as Webkit based browsers, which also clears Acid3 test as well as Opera, in dealing with java scripts but other test results are pretty good.  In my environment, the test result is very convincing and FF is performing well.  Try SpeedyFox, which nmb recommended since it optimizes the database of Firefox.  Also, it seems underpowered computers cannot handle FF 3.5.

Hermite15

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:29:27 PM »
cold start launch time is way too long with many extensions loading at the same time, but yeah new launches on a same session doesn't take more than 5 seconds, but that's still too much. I've been a Firefox freak for years now, and I'm slowly switching to Chrome, for both application start and browsing speed. Chrome's just amazing. I refused to use it for a while because of its current lack of extensions (there are some, but nothing worth yet), and I use many in FF, but the difference of speed when browsing is such that I use Chrome more and more now. Browsing the web with it is sometimes as fast as browsing files in Windows Explorer.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:19 PM »
 I second, Firefox is pretty hoggy for middle road PCs. Cold start in mine takes 3 minutes, not including the time it take to be fully responsive, with no lags. I'd say Google Chrome and Opera would be the best move if you want a browser as fast (or faster when referring to Chrome) as Firefox.

BTW, probably a little late, Google Chrome 4 is said to be a version that will support add-ons. I enjoy using one now.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Hermite15

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:35 PM »
I second, Firefox is pretty hoggy for middle road PCs. Cold start in mine takes 3 minutes, not including the time it take to be fully responsive, with no lags. I'd say Google Chrome and Opera would be the best move if you want a browser as fast (or faster when referring to Chrome) as Firefox.

BTW, probably a little late, Google Chrome 4 is said to be a version that will support add-ons. I enjoy using one now.

3 minutes  ??? you must be going nuts  :o yeah Chrome 4 (dev channel for now) supports add ons. I'm on it but as said there's not much to add for now  ;D there was an adblocker (adsweep), it's been already discontinued and didn't work very well anyway.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 04:54:32 PM »
I don't think that google will allow anyone to develop the ad blocker.

Hermite15

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »

it's already been done, and there will most likely be a new one. The first one was discontinued because the developer was asking for help and feedback and he didn't get any. I read before about this theory that Google making a living from ads, they wouldn't let such an extension run. They just can't prevent it. It's "mainly" OpenSource after all.

And here's a new one already (I'm not saying that it's good, I haven't tried it, and probably won't )
http://www.mark8t.com/2009/09/22/adblock-extension-for-google-chrome/

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 05:23:32 PM »
I think google will do that a bit later. now extensions are still in budding stage.

Sesame

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 05:37:26 PM »
I use Sware Iron, which is based on Chrome, but it is not as stable as Firefox 3 and crashes a lot in my envrionment.  In FF3's case, warm start is quite fast, which is good enough for me...even cold start is decent...no way near 3 minutes...I'm sorry to hear that.

it's already been done, and there will most likely be a new one. The first one was discontinued because the developer was asking for help and feedback and he didn't get any. I read before about this theory that Google making a living from ads, they wouldn't let such an extension run. They just can't prevent it. It's "mainly" OpenSource after all.

And here's a new one already (I'm not saying that it's good, I haven't tried it, and probably won't )
http://www.mark8t.com/2009/09/22/adblock-extension-for-google-chrome/
True...I use adblock.ini with Sware Iron.

I think google will do that a bit later. now extensions are still in budding stage.
What we know is that Google still didn't do it.  Google seems to have bigger plans with Chrome OS and Android.

Alan Baxter

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
How slow does your Firefox run and how much CPU and 'mem usage' does it take up?

Firefox 3.5.3 runs at around 209k mem usage on my task manager. It also runs very slowly.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips they have tried which could increase the speed?

Hi, Avastfan1.  I am running Firefox 3.5.3 on a 600 MHz PIII with 1GB RAM.  Windows XP SP3.  I use the default theme and have 59 extensions installed.

I started this instance of Firefox up about twelve hours ago, after booting my computer and waiting a few minutes for all the startup programs to finish.  Right now, with six tabs open, Firefox is using 192MB of physical memory.  Process Explorer also shows that it used a maximum of 248MB of memory at sometime since it was started.  This is normal.  Firefox doesn't have any problem utilizing my max Internet speed of 256kbps (slow but cheap DSL) or maxing out one of my dual cpus when necessary. (Which is quite often.  Only a 600 MHz CPU after all.)

First start up after boot takes about a minute, but that's not a problem since I do it only once every day or so.  Restarting it takes 24 seconds.  Restarting Firefox without any extensions takes only six seconds.  Normal browsing is slowed down a lot by my slow PC.  It's slowed down a little more by some of my extensions, but that's an acceptable price for the additional functionality.

Since you have 1GB RAM, the memory usage you report should not be the cause of any slowdown you experience.  Your poor performance may be caused by one or more of your extensions or by a conflict between them.  Does your Firefox perform much better if you start it with "firefox.exe -safe-mode"?  (Don't check any of the boxes in the popup which appears.  Just click "Continue in Safe Mode".

Hope this helps.  I recommend the following resources:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Safe_mode
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Problematic_extensions
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38