Author Topic: Manual iAVS update strangeness  (Read 2761 times)

Firebytes

Manual iAVS update strangeness
« on: October 06, 2009, 11:23:35 PM »
I always update iAVS manually and have never had a problem until today. When I attempted to update I got a strange iAVS definition number and an installation window with two progress bars in it instead of the usual one. Also the definitions update file was huge, like the size of a program update. After appearing to download the whole thing Avast popped up that there was an error and allowed me to save a Debug log. I then reattempted the manual definitions update which proceeded normally. So far everything appears to be fine but I was wondering exactly what happened and if I need to be looking for any specific problems with my Avast installation after this. Would Avast like to have the debug log and if so where should I send it?

Thanks

Firebytes

Re: Manual iAVS update strangeness
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 11:26:32 PM »
This is with Avast home version 4.8.1356.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 11:38:05 PM »
Yep, sorry. We had a major outage of our updating infrastructure (about one third, i.e. 100 of our servers went down) and when they got finally revived, they were serving OUTDATED data. I.e. you effectively downgraded your VPS to the previous version (hence the huge update) only to download an incremental update to the latest version a few moments later (from another server which was up to date)...

Again, sorry for that.

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Firebytes

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the swift reply. So, basically everything should be good on my end then?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 11:50:08 PM »
Everything should be good now. The vast majority of our servers is now also running (and up-to-date) so it shouldn't happen again.

Thanks much
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Firebytes

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:04 AM »
OK, thanks VLK. I had just wanted to be sure it hadn't messed up anything on my Avast installation.

Thanks again for the help.

Avastfan1

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:01:19 AM »
Dear Forum,

I also experienced the same problem. It now seems to be rectified as Vlk described.

Although right at the start of the manual update, I do notice that it says 'error connecting with server' for a few brief seconds.

How can we be absolutely sure that the definitions file is not corrupted or the wrong one?

Apart from checking the version number (currently 091006-0), how do we know the problem described above hasn't compromised our security?

Can we also assume that from our end the update function will work now?

Thanks and I look forward to your answer.

Regards,

Avastfan1