Author Topic: Archives  (Read 3289 times)

Fletch

Archives
« on: June 06, 2004, 05:58:08 PM »
 >:( Avast home edition will not scan arches, like winzip or rar, does anyone else have this problem?

if so please let me know thanks at the following

http://fletch1.proboards27.com

« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 06:05:53 PM by Fletch »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Archives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004, 06:26:40 PM »
Scannin archives is most useless function. At least for Standard Shield.
For others its not and those are also covered by Home Edition (Instant Messaging and Mail Monitor for example). Don't worry about this :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Fletch

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 06:33:53 PM »
 >:( Well I have to worry about this because I download Files which contain Viruses.. the reason for scanning is just this scan everything, What's the purpose of virus scanners if they do not detect and get rid of viruses?

Free or Paid for, to me...all the people who write viruses to harm people or cause havit should be lined up and shot.

If you could sit down a write a virus you have to much time on your hands.

The shooting comment is just a figure of speech, but all the virus writers should be tracked down and dealt with.

way back before the net I ran a bbs and had a user try to break into my system and delete my HD and all my users wanted to beat the living crap out of this person. and that was a long time ago.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2004, 06:48:08 PM by Fletch »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004, 08:06:44 PM »
>:( Well I have to worry about this because I download Files which contain Viruses.. the reason for scanning is just this scan everything, What's the purpose of virus scanners if they do not detect and get rid of viruses?

I guess Rajzor wanted to say that for an virus to activate on your computer, it has to be started. It cannot be started from an archive - it has to be unpacked first. So, if you have the antivirus resident protection running, it will detect the virus and prevent its execution at the moment you try to execute it (after it's unpacked) - even if the detection inside the original archive fails.
The scanning of archives is just another layer of security.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004, 10:09:50 PM »
The scanning of archives is just another layer of security.

You can set this security level putting the sensitivity at 'High' or using the Customize level and add the archive files extensions to be scanned.

In your download manager, if you use any, you can use C:\...\Avast4\ashQuick.exe (without any other parameter) to scan the downloaded files  ;)
The best things in life are free.