Author Topic: Keyboard problem at boot sector scan  (Read 5249 times)

youplaboum

Keyboard problem at boot sector scan
« on: June 05, 2004, 11:37:28 AM »
Hi everyone,

At the end of the boot sector scan when I can choose options for detected viruses, everything I type translates into '?'. Except 'esc'.

I have a 3 month-old logitech keyboard, plugged the standard way (not USB). But the thing may be that I also have a transmitter (?) for my wireless mouse, which is normally used for both mouse and keyboard (I exploded my wireless keyboard and switched for a wired one).

Can anyone help?

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Keyboard problem at boot sector scan
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2004, 07:39:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm only guessing, of course -- but my first guess would be your keyboard drivers.   For reasons known only to themselves, Logitech insists on several tons of drivers for even its simplest, most "ordinary", devices, and since Windows hasn't yet loaded at the boot-scan point, neither are your specific Logitech drivers.  That's my first guess as to the culprit, anyway.

I've got a "hard-wired" kb from them too, and for a long time now I've seriously considered trashing it (and its drivers) and putting in a nice cheap no-name PS2 keyboard that runs right off the default drivers.  Actually if the kb is plain enough, it'll run right off the CMOS until Win gets going, at least on any computer that doesn't hark back to Wright-Brothers days.

Since they're cheap enough, try a "plain" kb with default Win drivers and see if maybe that clears up the problem.

Best,
Mike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 07:39:53 PM by MikeBCda »
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

youplaboum

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2004, 08:05:35 PM »
Thank you very much for your help.

But I must say, at least for the time being, that I'm not really keen on changing my keyboard just to make this antivirus working... I'll try another program. Any suggestions? (or warnings?)

Prosper

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2004, 08:09:01 PM »
But I must say, at least for the time being, that I'm not really keen on changing my keyboard just to make this antivirus working... I'll try another program. Any suggestions? (or warnings?)

Well there's no need to change the AV just because the boot-time scan doesn't work with your keyboard, right...? :-\

I mean, the Boot-Time Scan is in fact avast's truly unique feature that no other AV solution on the market has (AFAIK). Without it, avast should still perform well.. :)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 08:09:44 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline vojtech

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »
When the boot time scan displays the menu of virus actions, only those keys in the menu are accepted, other are translated to '?'. As for number keys, only keys from main part of keyboard can be used, not keys from numeric keypad.

rloschmann

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 05:17:17 PM »
hello youplaboum, you're french aren't you ?
I had the same problem with my french keyboard.  You must use the keys on the main keyboard but without typing the SHIFT key :
1 = &
2 = é
3 = "
4 = '
5 = (
6 = -
7 = è
8 = _
9 = ç
0 = à

Don't give up, avast is great !  ;D

P.S. hey avast team, there must be something you can do for that problem !  :P