Author Topic: Can't turn off computer  (Read 14728 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Can't turn off computer
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 11:28:18 PM »
Is this the Registry cleaner?

Eusing Free Registry Cleaner 2.5.1
http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cleaner/registry_cleaner.htm

When you ran it, did it ask if you wanted to back up the registry of set a restore point?
If so, can you find where the back up or restore point is?

Below are copies of registry back up / restore points that are set on my computer when I run ccleaner.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

bexar656

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 03:35:26 AM »
If you go back to the event viewer and click on the first one,"Error  10/6 Application hang" does the pop-up box say anything about what "The Faulting Application" is?

It says: Hanging application is Paint Shop Pro X exc. (which is a photo program I use).

on this expanded pop-up box,you can click the button below the two arrow buttons
in the top right corner,and it it will copy the error message.
You can then paste it to note pad,and copy paste it here.

Clicking the bottom button nothing happens.

For mkis. No to all
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 03:44:49 AM by bexar656 »

normishmael

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 04:42:17 AM »
OK,Dang-it,I was expecting to see remnants of the registry cleaner showing up in the event error message.
That does not seem to be the case.

You said you have scanned with Avast!,Spybot and "Malware".
You do mean Malwarebytes,right?

If so,and this Paint Shop Pro X is a program you have used for awhile before the not shutting down problem began,I am pretty much empty.

Lets wait for Mkis on this.

Oh,by the way, I was not very clear when I told you how to save
a copy of the event return.
When you hit the button below the two arrows,the text is copied to your clipboard.
You will not see anything happen.
If you then open notepad,and right click/choose paste,it will copy the text on the note pad.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 11:18:31 AM »
In a 'ton of error listings', were RegMech.exe and Paintshop Pro X just two amongst a whole heap of other name applications that were hanging or whatever else, or were there lots of same name entries but different times and days (whenever you tried to shut down).

What about in Safe Mode?

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

bexar656

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
mkis, their all the same with different times. norm, yes it is malewarebytes. Here is something new I just found out. If I go to Start, Turn off computer then Standby it stops and screen goes black. I then hit space bar and it comes back with a different screen with Turn off computer at bottem left. I click that and it says shutting down. Befor it does it says "other people are using this computer and this can cause a loss of their data. Do you want to continue." I click yes and it shuts down compleetly. I am not sharing this computer with anyone else. No network.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 09:38:20 PM by bexar656 »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 04:22:12 AM »
I think you will find that other person is you Bexar.
If you go into Standby, the computer auto sets to admin, when you clicked back in you would still need to log in to access yr account.

Is your Paintshop Pro the Corel program and do you have uninstall and reinstall capacity?
If so, uninstall Paintshop. Perhaps use Revo  http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Then try shutdown

Go to this site - http://www.2-viruses.com/remove-regfix-pro
Go halfway down page to this heading - Manual RegFix Pro removal
Have a look in registry following the directions carefully to see if you have fake prrogram or whatever else you might find in Current Version.
And reply post here - preferably without actioning anything.

Shubham

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »
U can directly switch off the power button of ur UPS.

U Need to reinstall windows

bexar656

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009, 01:36:42 AM »
Trying hard to keep up with all the advise (which I know is all good). Shubham: Yes I know to shut off the power button of the CPU. How do I reinstall windows?  mkis: I'll look at Safe Mode but not sure what to look for.  Also I want to be carefull of uninstalling PSP 10 as I have a lot of worked on photos in it and don't want to loose them. My only way of reinstalling PSP would be by the original install disk, which I have. But afriad to loose my data. I've written to the PSP forum to be sure of doing it. I really appreicate all the advise and help I'm getting and you guys hanging in there with me.

Hermite15

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:17 AM »
just reinstall Windows...don't waste more time looking for a solution; Windows would be already up and running now...just backup your important data and reboot with the DVD  ;) ...and above all: do not trust any tech support attempting to rip you off at 60 bucks an hour. I don't think your system is infected at all, that's a Windows issue. And tech support guys know nothing about viruses anyway.
 Now if you never installed Windows before start a new thread in the general topics section and people will help you. If your PC came preinstalled with one partition only, you'll need to create a new one where you can back up your data before reinstalling. You can use an external drive too...OK, good luck  ;)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2009, 09:55:19 AM »
Good for you Bexar. Dont rush into anything without first securing your data and photo files first. You can get help on the forum with backup and storage if you need it. I'm bit busy now so I'll be moving on to other things but I'll also keep an eye on this thread. Good luck.

I thought perhaps if you ran a boot through Safe Mode, you could then see whether your shutdown was still hanging. Ordinarily, your system should not hang when shutting down in Safe Mode.

bexar656

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2009, 08:34:23 PM »
I've tried getting to safe mode by hitting F8 but nothing happens. Am I doing it right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »
How to boot in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).
The best things in life are free.

bexar656

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 03:26:44 AM »
Tried it and nothing happend. I pressed F8 50 times while rebooting and nothing changed.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
try this Bexar

Start -> Run -> type in 'msconfig' (without quotations) - will bring you to Systems Configuration Utility

In Systems Configuration Utility
select BOOT.INI - under boot options choose /SAFEBOOT - make sure MINIMAL box is checked
click Apply and Close - click Restart when prompted to do so
Your operating system will restart in Safe Mode
See how your system shuts down while in Safe Mode.

To restore your system to boot Normal Mode -
bring up System Configuration Utility when in Safe Mode and uncheck the /SAFEBOOT option
Your operating system will restart in Normal Mode

When system restarts you will be asked about the changes that have been made under msconfig command - what you do here is check the box for 'Dont show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility' and you will find that everything has returned to Normal Mode from then on.

The reason for trying to shut down in Safe Mode is to see whether the cause of your inability to shut down may be attributed to a program or whether the problem is more deeply seated in your system.

I would say that shut down will likely be a lot smoother in Safe Mode.