Author Topic: Antivirus Pro 2010 not detected by Avast Home  (Read 51782 times)

BRANDONN2008

Re: Antivirus Pro 2010 not detected by Avast Home
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 12:14:08 AM »
YoKenny, is there a free script blocker like in the paid version of Avast? I have NoScript but something might get by if I allow the site.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 06:06:00 AM »
As I do not use Firefox or any other browser I do not feel qualified to comment on them, also my operating systems are now Vista and windows 7 

Bye

You seem to feel qualified enough to suggest that they're not safe to use.

And to imply that MS users need to upgrade to be safe.

Which is straight out of Microsoft's FUD department.

All the scary Microsoft malware means the only way you can stay safe is to upgrade to Vista and not use non-Microsoft products? F*ck that!
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Meteora

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »
Crap...was typing this up, went to go do something, came back then restarted my comp without knowing this was just about done and ready to post...oh well.

This is what it looked like:

Thanks! That was some great insight.

It does appear that way. Some of the suggestions offered were "either-or", not everything is necessary.
The primary one is to make sure software is up to date. That will minimize any possible attack vector. www.secunia.org supplies (free for personal use) the PSI, which I find very useful. [edit] It would be interesting to see what it makes of your AOL browser.

Secunia is running a scan now...the past 20 tries I've tried with antimalware programs to scan and delete infected files, failed, as they just closed down due to a setting created by the virus, and every time I try to reopen the application it says files are missing. This is none other than the crappy virus being a B.

Edit: Secunia is done but it didn't do anything. Just scanned and that's it, didn't even install, though I doubt it wouldn't have been overcome by the stupid virus.

And every time I try to install a program in SAFE mode, it says something like "administrator disabled doing that".

Guess I'm going to have to manually remove it via the registry editor and so on. I mean it's not in my task manager (I checked) and I disabled startup item related to the infections...I have registry editor left. For some reason I doubt this'll do anything though.

See these:

http://www.spywareremove.com/removeWindowsSmartSecurity.html

http://remove-malware.net/how-to-remove-windows-smart-security-rogue-anti-spyware/

These pages and several others have been made just today or yesterday. That's how new this crap is.

I was ok with just downloading the fixes these links had, but for some reason I guess they don't know what WWS actually does. It nullifies every attempt to scan and remove it. It just freaking closes everything and prevents you from installing programs in safe mode. Wtf? Safe mode? Why there? I should be safe there, obviously. Guess it shouldn't be called safe anymore.

Probably vulnerable software was the reason. As you mention below, this was a new infection, not added to the database of most AV scanners. You were one of the lucky first to become infected with it. If you had been using a browser with no scripting, you would have been able to choose not to run the particular script that performed the drive by download (assuming that's what it was.Did you click on anything for the infection to occur? Or just visit the page hosting it?

My Avast PRO (demo version) was running and updating every day, even telling me with its macintosh-like voice (lol)

I was getting torrent files, and it was most likely from that. Still, I had avast running, and 87% of the time it would catch something. I thought I was going to be safe always with Avast. Found out I was wrong though. Avast fails, maybe not as much as AVG (which I don't recall at all serving me in any way, i.e. I never witnessed it actually stopping anything, maybe it did secretly without me noticing) but it still fails. There's just never a 99% perfect security program...is there? I'm talking about free and costly ones. There are so many different anti-virus programs out there....how do I found out which one is the best for me to use? Which ones worth the most for its money and is the cost reasonable, etc.? Not necessarily which program is the most powerful.

See above. And if you want to use AOL software, and it doesn't have the option to at least prompt to run scripts, all bets are off. I don't know, I don't use their browser. (Nor anything else.)

Where do I check whether or not my browser has script blocker?
By the way this is what pops up when I go to Help on AOL Explorer:

So I think it's like IE...especially since it mentions IE8 on it. Also prior to checking this thing out, I was told recently by something that my AOL Explorer is like my Internet Explorer...guess they are very linked.

There has been a 585% increase in rogue antimalware programs in the first 6 months of this year alone.

Yeah read it myself some time back. Holy eff.

These "homos" (you redneck, you) are often very qualified, prolific software writers, making very large sums of money, hired by organized crime syndicates. There is a lot of money involved.

I said the following on a few other forums. I believe whoever makes these programs is entering hell, even more so now since this involves a lot of money as you say, and this is also affecting me since I use this computer for studying, leisure etc. and it's getting messed up by some lowlife.

Regarding AV manufacturers providing AV's for free - and yes, they are essential - who pays for their staff to eat? Feed their kids etc?
If the AV is a sideline of the main business, like, maybe, MSE by Microsoft, then they can afford to provide it (or a version of it) for free. If the company's main job is to provide security software, who is going to pay for development and updates if the software is free? The malware writers get paid darned well. The AV writers have to carry out R&D to try and keep up. It costs.

Would you begrudge paying a mechanic the fee for keeping your car serviced? The component of your air ticket that keeps the aircraft maintained? Health insurance?
Thing is, with security for computers, you have more free choices around than are available in other fields of possible day to day hazard.Good choices. You couldn't actually fly safely on a carrier that gave away free seats regularly, because the aeroplane was well built 20years ago, and they have decided to save on maintenance. (Actually, they can't do that. But if..) Who would willingly get on the thing?

Didn't think about that...oops.

don't know. Maybe one uses definitions, the other is user choice? But really, I don't know.
Problem with definitions-based software is that if you are unlucky enough to stumble upon a zero-day trojan (just released) only system hardening (Noscript, behavior blocker etc) will save you.

Just want to know where to I check to see if my browser has noscript or not.

Peace.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 10:31:17 AM by Meteora »

Offline Soure73

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:06 AM »
 I see that you can't do any scan because the virus is blocking your attempts :(
 Download this from a clean computer and burn a cd: 
    http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html
    http://www.techmixer.com/bitdefender-rescue-cd-with-auto-update-virus-definition-features/
    http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/   

Good luck!
 PS: Have you tried a boot time scan with Avast?

HP Compaq with Amd AthlonII x2 2.7Ghz,4 Gig ram 1066 Mhz DDR3,ATI Radeon HD 3000(onboard),Windows 10 Home 64bit

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 12:38:28 PM »
1) These malware files are changed every few hours so nothing can detect them- I've sent samples to VirusTotal and seen zero detection, so it's not just avast.

2) The only reason you're getting infected is because you have insecure and out of date software installed, allowing a drive-by download.

Use Secunia Software Inspector to check and update everything that needs updating.

Just come across one of these things while browsing:

Antivirus     Version     Last Update     Result
a-squared   4.5.0.41   2009.10.10   -
AhnLab-V3   5.0.0.2   2009.10.09   -
AntiVir   7.9.1.35   2009.10.09   -
Antiy-AVL   2.0.3.7   2009.10.10   -
Authentium   5.1.2.4   2009.10.10   -
Avast   4.8.1351.0   2009.10.09   -
AVG   8.5.0.420   2009.10.04   -
BitDefender   7.2   2009.10.10   -
CAT-QuickHeal   10.00   2009.10.10   -
ClamAV   0.94.1   2009.10.10   -
Comodo   2556   2009.10.10   -
DrWeb   5.0.0.12182   2009.10.10   -
eSafe   7.0.17.0   2009.10.08   -
eTrust-Vet   35.1.7060   2009.10.09   -
F-Prot   4.5.1.85   2009.10.10   -
F-Secure   8.0.14470.0   2009.10.10   -
Fortinet   3.120.0.0   2009.10.10   -
GData   19   2009.10.10   -
Ikarus   T3.1.1.72.0   2009.10.10   -
Jiangmin   11.0.800   2009.10.08   -
K7AntiVirus   7.10.866   2009.10.09   -
Kaspersky   7.0.0.125   2009.10.10   -
McAfee   5766   2009.10.09   -
McAfee+Artemis   5766   2009.10.09   -
McAfee-GW-Edition   6.8.5   2009.10.10   -
Microsoft   1.5101   2009.10.10   -
NOD32   4494   2009.10.09   -
Norman   6.01.09   2009.10.09   -
nProtect   2009.1.8.0   2009.10.10   -
Panda   10.0.2.2   2009.10.09   -
PCTools   4.4.2.0   2009.10.09   -
Prevx   3.0   2009.10.10   Medium Risk Malware Dropper
Rising   21.50.52.00   2009.10.10   -
Sophos   4.45.0   2009.10.10   -
Sunbelt   3.2.1858.2   2009.10.10   Trojan-Downloader.Win32.FraudLoad.fqb (v)
Symantec   1.4.4.12   2009.10.10   -
TheHacker   6.5.0.2.035   2009.10.10   -
TrendMicro   8.950.0.1094   2009.10.10   -
VBA32   3.12.10.11   2009.10.09   -
ViRobot   2009.10.9.1978   2009.10.09   -
VirusBuster   4.6.5.0   2009.10.09   -

Relying on any AV to protect you is not going to be enough.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 04:56:10 PM »
As I do not use Firefox or any other browser I do not feel qualified to comment on them, also my operating systems are now Vista and windows 7  

Bye

All the scary Microsoft malware means the only way you can stay safe is to upgrade to Vista and not use non-Microsoft products? F*ck that!
If you are unable to conduct a conversation without resorting to profanity then I can no longer see any point in visiting this forum, obviously I have annoyed you somehow in my previous life.  I have never said one thing is better than another - all I recommend is sensible precautions.  I will finish off those I am helping and bid you adieu

Shubham

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:44 PM »
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. My Avast also was unable to detect it.

And what I did was that I installed ESET NOD32 on it and it kicked the adware out of my PC .I advice u to do the same.

I am DAMMMM..... sure if the nod32 is fully up to date, it is going to give a very good hit on the ass of the virus.

Best of luck!!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:26:46 PM by Shubham »

Shubham

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2009, 07:20:21 PM »
It does not mean the NOD32 is better than Avast because when I switched back to avast after 2 weeks,my PC was infected by 542 samples of win32 vitro which NOD32 was unable to detect
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:28:31 PM by Shubham »

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2009, 08:38:12 PM »

The only defence is to run IE8 in protected mode, on Vista enable UAC and watch what you click.  Never use the no or cancel button use the X on all popups on web sites  

I decided to test that and visit the malware site I came across earlier in (in Ubuntu) in Windows XP. No Vista. No UAC. No Protected Mode. No anti-virus. No No Script (Polonus).

Firefox told me the page was an attack site. Even ignoring the warning, the page wouldn't load properly.

Better luck in Opera.

Scam AV tells me I'm infected and tries to download a malware file.

Is my computer infected?

No.

MS FUD: 0, A secure up-to-date system + knowledge:1.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:59:26 PM by FreewheelinFrank »

micky77

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2009, 09:01:44 PM »
Congratulations Freewheeling Frank, I take my hat off to you. Due to your offensive, stupid remarks, you have just alienated, ( in my opinion ) the most talented person who visits this forum. His expertise, and knowledge at malware removal is unrivalled here. Not only that, he goes about his business, in a pleasant, calm, and very professional manner. Willing to help anyone, without question or judgement.A person who spends hours, analyzing logs,that no one else understands. His contribution to this forum and other forums, is invalueable.
Most people on this forum, myself included, have very little idea about removing serious malware. Many people who visit, seeking help, often leave, frustrated, due to the lack of expertise.
 So to upset, one of the few people who has the expertise, is rank stupidity.
And Freewheeling Frank, loudmouth, what is your contribution ? How many people do you help ? I may be wrong, I don't recall you, ever, giving, professional malware removal advice.
The one thing that surprises me, is the fact, that no one else, is, telling you, what a moron you are. It's a bit cliquey here though isn't it.
So once again F.F many congrats, I will expect, if Essexboy, no longer visits, this forum, you will, be filling his shoes, and, giving people, advice, on cleaning, their pc's.  I look forward to that  ;D

Mr.Agent

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2009, 09:18:44 PM »
Hola ! Dont fight guy ! Stay calm... :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2009, 10:03:03 PM »
His expertise, and knowledge at malware removal is unrivalled here.
+1 The best rootkit killer essexboy

Meteora

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2009, 10:28:38 PM »
I see that you can't do any scan because the virus is blocking your attempts :(
 Download this from a clean computer and burn a cd:  
    http://www.free-av.com/en/products/12/avira_antivir_rescue_system.html
    http://www.techmixer.com/bitdefender-rescue-cd-with-auto-update-virus-definition-features/
    http://www.freedrweb.com/livecd/  

Good luck!
 PS: Have you tried a boot time scan with Avast?

I will try that. Hopefully a USB will suffice, as my disc drive on my infected computer has not been working for almost a year now; has nothing to do with the recent virus though.

Bye

If you are unable to conduct a conversation without resorting to profanity then I can no longer see any point in visiting this forum, obviously I have annoyed you somehow in my previous life.  I have never said one thing is better than another - all I recommend is sensible precautions.  I will finish off those I am helping and bid you adieu

Well I mean, he wasn't insulting you. Just didn't agree.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. My Avast also was unable to detect it.

And what I did was that I installed ESET NOD32 on it and it kicked the adware out of my PC .I advice u to do the same.

I am DAMMMM..... sure if the nod32 is fully up to date, it is going to give a very good hit on the ass of the virus.

Best of luck!!!!

Your virus must not have been that bad then.

I ran NOD32 and it seemed like it came close, at least. The virus wasn't shutting it down, but NOD32 kept saying whenever it detected something that it needs to reboot to delete the infected file. However when I rebooted it, it didn't do anything....it's not like avast which will run a scan before you even log on with your account. I logged on and NOD32 did not even start up. However the one time it DID start up, it just said again that it needs to reboot to delete the file...obviously it's getting owned by this piece of dog crap virus as well.

For the record, I don't see what FF did or said to be criticized. All I saw was disagreement on his part.

The online world is doomed: http://oceania.digitalmedianet.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=857595

Guess hell is for real then.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »
Congratulations Freewheeling Frank, I take my hat off to you. Due to your offensive, stupid remarks, you have just alienated, ( in my opinion ) the most talented person who visits this forum. His expertise, and knowledge at malware removal is unrivalled here. Not only that, he goes about his business, in a pleasant, calm, and very professional manner. Willing to help anyone, without question or judgement.A person who spends hours, analyzing logs,that no one else understands. His contribution to this forum and other forums, is invalueable.
Most people on this forum, myself included, have very little idea about removing serious malware. Many people who visit, seeking help, often leave, frustrated, due to the lack of expertise.
 So to upset, one of the few people who has the expertise, is rank stupidity.
And Freewheeling Frank, loudmouth, what is your contribution ? How many people do you help ? I may be wrong, I don't recall you, ever, giving, professional malware removal advice.
The one thing that surprises me, is the fact, that no one else, is, telling you, what a moron you are. It's a bit cliquey here though isn't it.
So once again F.F many congrats, I will expect, if Essexboy, no longer visits, this forum, you will, be filling his shoes, and, giving people, advice, on cleaning, their pc's.  I look forward to that  ;D

Essexboy is being too much of a drama queen. Make an absolute statement of certainty around here about what constitutes essential computer security, and somebody is going to take issue.

Well I mean, he wasn't insulting you. Just didn't agree.

Thanks. In the post Essexboy objected to, that's perfectly true.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2009, 01:59:46 AM »
Quote from: Meteora
Secunia is running a scan now...the past 20 tries I've tried with antimalware programs to scan and delete infected files, failed, as they just closed down due to a setting created by the virus, and every time I try to reopen the application it says files are missing. This is none other than the crappy virus being a B.
I'm sorry, I hadn't realized that you were actually trying to deal with an active malware infection. (Yes, I know you said you got infected, I just hadn't realized it was happening "right now".)
The Secunia scanner is not an antimalware application. It is purely a scanner/monitor, which gathers version data about your installed software, compares it to an extensive online database, and alerts you to out of date/vulnerable software.
It is not intended it be used to assist with an active infection, and my recommendation to use it was/is based on the idea that having up to date software can very much reduce the chance of getting an infection, since those that the user doesn't install are generally installed via some software vulnerability.
Should you be able to remove this thing, it would then be a good tool to install to help keep you up to date.
I apologize for not being expert enough to assist with the removal of this infection. The reported condition of your computer (or rather, what seems to have been disabled from your use of it) is beyond my experience to advise on.

FreewheelinFrank If it was me, I'd apologize, frankly. Telling someone that they are "too much up their paranoid rear" is hardly going to win friends. In that post, I thought you were being extremely rude. Calling someone a drama queen is not a heck of a lot better.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.