Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Outlook Express won't work w Avast & instructions aren't working either

<< < (3/4) > >>

Sesame:

--- Quote from: YoKenny on October 11, 2009, 11:43:28 AM ---I could not and had to make sure that I used the Outlook Express ports recommended by my ISP.

Looking at the setup I now see that it is using SSL.

When my ISP changed this a wile back all of a sudden my email stopped working with the same failure as jo24 so I had to have my ISP walk me through the setup to get the email to work both sending and receiving.

As each ISP may have their own way they set this up I would have the ISP Help Desk provide support for correct setup.

--- End quote ---
I see.

DavidR asked jo24 if the OS is 98/ME (95 based one) or XP/Vista (NT based one) since, as you know, OE doesn't need to be configured for XP/Vista as Dch48 confirmed.  Jo24 read the instruction for 98/ME and tried to set up following the wrong instruction, which is probably why the option cannot be selected.  If there are no other factors, and, if jo24 didn't do anything like Dch48, then, there shouldn't be a problem.  Configuring OE, following the instruction of ISP, should be enough.

However, I happened to notice that ccSvcHst.exe belongs to Norton.  As you know, it's not good to have two regident anti-virus applications at the same time.  So, I recommended jo24 to remove Norton completely.

Now you recommended jo24 to use Stunnel.  You are right in that the Internet Mail Provider of Avast! 4 cannot scan secured connections but probably we'd better wait a reply from jo24...I guess we rushed to offer too many helps at the same time.

DavidR:

--- Quote from: jo24 on October 11, 2009, 07:35:22 AM ---Hi & thank you for your replies.  My OS is XP & the error message is as follows:

The server responded with an error. Account: 'mail.bigpond.com', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR concurrent connections limit in avast exceeded(pass:20, processes:ccSvcHst.exe[19], msimn.exe[1]), there is a collision with another program', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90

--- End quote ---

As has been pointed out on other posts, with XP you don't need to run the Email Wizard and more importantly you have remnants of Norton and should run the removal tool in the link given by Rumpel in Reply #6.

You may also have to run the email wizard again and remove the protection, e.g. set the OE email account settings back to normal and not the 127.0.0.1, etc.

There is no need for STunnel as the error message clearly states that there is no SSL (Secure(SSL): No) used.

Sesame:

--- Quote from: DavidR on October 11, 2009, 04:27:55 PM ---
--- Quote from: jo24 on October 11, 2009, 07:35:22 AM ---Secure(SSL): No
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Oops, sorry.  I should have checked it through my own eyes.  :P  So, jo24, please follow the instruction of DavidR.

DavidR:
No problem, it isn't so obvious at first sight.

jo24:
Thank you everyone for your replies!  I have been interstate all day with no internet access & have only read this thread now.  I did indeed have Norton installed & will need to remove all residuals as you have advised & see if that works.

Thank you again for all of assistance.

:)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version