Author Topic: how often do you get your system infected ?  (Read 10442 times)

Hermite15

how often do you get your system infected ?
« on: October 10, 2009, 07:04:14 PM »
wanted to make a poll (an anonymous one  ;D ) but there doesn't seem to be the feature here.
So guys, how often do you get your system infected with worms and viruses and trojans and what else...I personally had my system infected just once in 11 years (since I acquired my first PC), and that was minimal, just a few java files were affected. That was also the day I decided not to use Internet Explorer anymore. The infection came from an active X (although a dialog prompted me to block it and believe me I did), I was already running Firefox 1.0 off and on, 1.5 was about to come out, and I switched.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:27:56 PM by Logos »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: how often do you get your system infected ?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 07:16:24 PM »
I was playing with fire two years ago. Avast missed the virus. Can't recover. Used a backup of the full partition to get system back.
There is an option to start a poll here in avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

Hermite15

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:03 PM »
yeah I thought I saw this option before and couldn't find it now. I'll edit the first post to find out.

edit: so it's too late for the poll; you can't add one once the thread's been started without it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 07:39:39 PM by Logos »

Offline mathboyx215

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »
About 1 years ago,I was looking for some wallpapers on some site and it redirected me a rogue site.It told me I had 32 virus so I download it.I still remember that rogue was called antivirus 2009.
It is not possible to divide anything by zero

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 08:03:21 PM »
Never since using avast for over 5 years, however, I practice safe hex, take proactive precautions and exercise a degree of common sense, if it is to good to be true then that is likely to be the case. So I don't really expect to get infected, but should it ever happen, a robust back-up and recovery strategy should haul your a** out of the fire.

Polls can be anonymous, you just have to be logged on to vote, in the same way you have to be logged on to post, it doesn't say who has voted in what way, just if they have been infected in the last x months/years.

That however, doesn't say if that is with avast installed or another AV or multiple AVs. Or if you are reckless in your on-line activities or where that infection came from, in-line, usb, network, etc. So it isn't a simple question that can be put to a poll and have answers that can be collated according to AV, method of infection, risk level of the activity, etc...
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »

Polls can be anonymous, you just have to be logged on to vote, in the same way you have to be logged on to post, it doesn't say who has voted in what way, just if they have been infected in the last x months/years.

I was just kidding about the anonymous thing; it's just that I can't add a poll anymore now that I started the thread without any. Was expecting to find it in the post options, like on VBulletin. Just not used to SMF anymore, no big deal  ;)
 To the last part of your post, it still is interesting to have an idea of the proportion of people getting infections on their systems, well protected or not. Being safer with Avast or another AV is one thing, getting frequent infections or alerts is another, only relevant to the surfer habits.
 I should have asked my question differently in fact, and change it to how often is your system under virus attack...I don't want to modify it now as people have already started to answer to the question I asked, so may be another time.

edit: do you guys get that green flash when editing and saving a post ??? lol
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:36:17 PM by Logos »

Omega40

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »
I've been working with computers since 1985 (BBS). Internet since 1996. Got one virus when looking for victorian pics on internet. Didn't have any AV back then. Been with Avast! for many years now.  :)

spg SCOTT

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 09:15:46 PM »
Once, and it was the reason for coming here.

A file from Windows live messenger which my sister allowed and clicked on...

Mr.Agent

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:23 PM »
Once, and it was the reason for coming here.

A file from Windows live messenger which my sister allowed and clicked on...

She shouldnt click on any link in msn. There a lot exploit that can try to steal her password. ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 10:31:08 PM »
Last infection I had was pre-internet, and that goes back nearly 15 years.  Don't know what it was or where it came from, but the service tech said it pretty well fried my mobo.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

spg SCOTT

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
She shouldnt click on any link in msn. There a lot exploit that can try to steal her password. ;)

Well, she knows now...

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:05:15 AM »
Hi Logos,

Last malware incident brought me avast and then I found my way here. At that time I swore to myself that I would learn so much about malware and security it would not happen again. It did not apart from some tracking cookies,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Sesame

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27:42 AM »
how often do you get your system infected with worms and viruses and trojans and what else
Since I have begun to use computers, 0, which is, at least, as far as I know... ;D  I'm  wondering if someone is looking at my computer screen from somewhere on the earth, laughing at me.

YoKenny

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 01:55:17 AM »
Last infection I had was pre-internet, and that goes back nearly 15 years.  Don't know what it was or where it came from, but the service tech said it pretty well fried my mobo.
Those were the good old days:
http://www.research.ibm.com/antivirus/timeline.htm#Where

I was working at IBM in technical support for the new IBM PC and we were alerted to this new malicious thing and IBM brought out its short lived anti virus application.

cinchez

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »
For the last 10 months, Ive been infected a couple of times but luckily avast sprang into action so was windows defender^^

The infections were zlob, trojans, worms, and etc..^^

Yet im still living a life free of those unstable concoctions^^

-AnimeLover^^