Author Topic: how often do you get your system infected ?  (Read 10450 times)

Joe S

Re: how often do you get your system infected ?
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2009, 06:36:01 AM »
I got one that set off Avast and Spy Sweeper it started taking over the desktop and turning background white by the time I pulled the cable from router and shut down. System restore did fix it. To bad avast can't protect us from crappy legit software that messes things up!
Joe

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2009, 06:37:04 AM »
Avira was my first av, it never caught anything.

I switched ISP and used McAfee provided by the ISP for free.  McAfee found a worm & Yahoo AntiSpy (by PestPatrol) found a trojan.

I switched to avast! due to McAfee wouldn't update away from home on my laptop.

Back when I was a Firefox user BitDefender Free Scanner found a trojan in my recycle bin, I cleared my recycle bin & that was gone, it may have been a fp.

Avast! found a trojan, put it in quarantine, that was the last I heard of it.

Since I've been with Opera I've been clean. :)  I have gotten some warnings from avast!, but no infections. :)

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2009, 06:57:46 AM »
I got one that set off Avast and Spy Sweeper it started taking over the desktop and turning background white by the time I pulled the cable from router and shut down. System restore did fix it. To bad avast can't protect us from crappy legit software that messes things up!
Joe

You said you got one that set off avast! & Spy Sweeper, avast! has a built-in antispyware module, two antispywares can conflict!  Spy Sweeper is an antispyware.

If two antispywares catch something at the same time they may fight over it leaving you unprotected.

If two men are fighting over a woman, while they are fighting she may walk off with a different man. ;)

From what I have read, Windows Defender wont conflict with other antispywares because it runs as a service, if you want a second antispyware.

Jtaylor83

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »
Back then, I had that Movieland/MoviePass/Popcorn junk (which got onto my computer by drive-by) with all that techno/dance music playing in the background and an attractive woman with the word "3-day trial expired". Have to remove them all with the Bellsouth/AT&T Scan and Clean. Then I downloaded avast! and it found and quarantined entry.dll and the infected restore point. I found some of the Movieland/Movieland/Popcorn leftovers which avast missed and manually deleted them. Next, I downloaded SuperAntiSpyware and remove the Movieland registry.