Author Topic: Latest CIS achieves 100%, 10+ rating at Matousec  (Read 23593 times)

Hermite15

Re: Latest CIS achieves 100%, 10+ rating at Matousec
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2009, 12:14:44 AM »

Thats the funny thing about you guys,when the Av component of CIS fails,it is just that,the AV compotent.
When the Firewall scores well,why then it is ALL of CIS that scores well.
Powerful CoolAid.

Because the AV component of CIS is , for the most part, superfluous. It doesn't have to perform as well or have as many features as other AV's since if something bad gets past it, it will be stopped by the HIPS component anyway. So it is the total package doing it's job. The AV is just there to reduce the number of popups from the HIPS.

you're kidding right...it doesn't have to be as good as other AV because if it fails the HIPS will respond...you are freaking kidding...the reality is it doesn't have to be as good because they're not able to achieve a good AV, period. Comodo AV was built on the basis of CAV 2.0 that never made it out of beta. It was a piece of c**p...and so is the version included in CIS. It's just there to tell "hey, people, we have a complete suite, like all the rest".
 The AV is just there to reduce the number of pop ups of the HIPS ??? you're kidding again...then what's the clean PC mode or the safe mode for in def+ ??? I'm on safe mode because I don't like this useless pending file list, and I don't have so many pop ups. Comodo AV unneeded, completely unneeded. They've been on it for years now, they will never succeed in making a good anti-virus program, never, unless they hire some new developers. They got a good one (a dev) for the firewall + HIPS and that's obviously not enough. It's their problem.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »

Thats the funny thing about you guys,when the Av component of CIS fails,it is just that,the AV compotent.
Powerful CoolAid.

Because the AV component of CIS is , for the most part, superfluous. It doesn't have to perform as well or have as many features as other AV's since if something bad gets past it, it will be stopped by the HIPS component anyway. So it is the total package doing it's job. The AV is just there to reduce the number of popups from the HIPS.

you're kidding right...it doesn't have to be as good as other AV because if it fails the HIPS will respond...you are freaking kidding...the reality is it doesn't have to be as good because they're not able to achieve a good AV, period. Comodo AV was built on the basis of CAV 2.0 that never made it out of beta. It was a piece of c**p...and so is the version included in CIS. It's just there to tell "hey, people, we have a complete suite, like all the rest".
 The AV is just there to reduce the number of pop ups of the HIPS ??? you're kidding again...then what's the clean PC mode or the safe mode for in def+ ??? I'm on safe mode because I don't like this useless pending file list, and I don't have so many pop ups. Comodo AV unneeded, completely unneeded. They've been on it for years now, they will never succeed in making a good anti-virus program, never, unless they hire some new developers. They got a good one (a dev) for the firewall + HIPS and that's obviously not enough. It's their problem.

+100

Dch48

« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2009, 12:26:42 AM »

Powerful CoolAid.

No, I am not kidding, the AV serves to make the product much more user friendly than a pure HIPS based system would be. Is the AV as good as !avast? No, I don't think it is but, it doesn't have to be. It can be much more streamlined and not include things like web shields and mail scanners because they're not necessary if you're using the full suite. Would I recommend CAV as a standalone AV solution without the Comodo Firewall? Absolutely not, then those additional features would be needed. CAV could never stand on it's own as an AV solution. Maybe that will change in the future but in it's present state, it works very well as part of the complete package. I use the CleanPC mode of D+ because I find Safe Mode to be too aggressive and I can deal with the pending files. No matter what mode you use, the AV will further reduce the amount of popups you get from the HIPS. Obviously !avast can stand on it's own but it would be even more superfluous in combination with the Firewall and D+ than CAV is.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:33:47 AM by Dch48 »

Hermite15

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2009, 12:28:52 AM »
if the purpose of this AV project is not to match the best AV solutions, then it's got nothing to do in CIS. I'll never change my mind about that.

Dch48

« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2009, 12:35:50 AM »
if the purpose of this AV project is not to match the best AV solutions, then it's got nothing to do in CIS. I'll never change my mind about that.

I didn't say they weren't striving for that, they are, but in it's present state, it serves it's purpose pretty well. However, don't expect it to ever scan email or web pages, their design philosophy doesn't include those things. The AV is no longer offered as a standalone product and there's a good reason for that, it's being designed as a part of the complete package and if you choose to use it without the firewall, (which I have never seen anyone say they do), then that's your choice. I use it without any problems as part of the full suite but would never even consider using it by itself. That's why I installed !avast on my ladyfriend's system. She is only comfortable with her XP Firewall and we all know how much protection that offers  ;).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:47:27 AM by Dch48 »

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2009, 01:03:57 AM »
Why is there so much talk about Comodo on the Avast forums??
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

Dch48

« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2009, 01:19:51 AM »
Maybe this topic should never have been started but since it's in the General section, I guess it's okay.

Hermite15

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2009, 01:28:11 AM »

because many here are running avast as the best free AV solution and CIS as the best free Firewall + HIPS solution  ;) ...well that's my case and apparently the case of a few others here. There are other reasons but I don't feel like elaborating about it again. Enough with the bashing for now  ;)

edit: don't get me wrong, I also think that Avast and CIS (with the exception of the CAV component) belong to the best security software solutions, including the paying ones. And let's not forget that Avast5 suite is on the way, with a firewall and something about application protection too...not sure if using the word HIPS for it is relevant, no details at all yet. And the suite won't be free. So this phenomenon of having people using both products ain't gonna stop anytime soon.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 01:31:24 AM by Logos »

Dch48

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2009, 08:56:46 AM »

because many here are running avast as the best free AV solution and CIS as the best free Firewall + HIPS solution  ;) ...well that's my case and apparently the case of a few others here. There are other reasons but I don't feel like elaborating about it again. Enough with the bashing for now  ;)

edit: don't get me wrong, I also think that Avast and CIS (with the exception of the CAV component) belong to the best security software solutions, including the paying ones. And let's not forget that Avast5 suite is on the way, with a firewall and something about application protection too...not sure if using the word HIPS for it is relevant, no details at all yet. And the suite won't be free. So this phenomenon of having people using both products ain't gonna stop anytime soon.

Well said