Author Topic: Resident protection Avast Home Edition - Big problem  (Read 7592 times)

Piotrbov

Resident protection Avast Home Edition - Big problem
« on: September 23, 2009, 09:08:14 PM »
Hi. I've got some big problem with turning on Resident protection in Avast 4.8 Home Edition. I'm trying to turn on this protection, but it didn't works. I'm changing it to the standard, but while I turning on Avast again it's turn off. What should I do to resolve this problem?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Resident protection Avast Home Edition - Big problem
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 09:19:34 PM »
You shouldn't actually need to turn it on as it is meant to be resident. If it isn't then you have some other issues.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Does the avast 'a' icon appear in the system tray, see image ?
Does it have a Red circle with a bar through it over the top of the 'a' icon ?

Are you getting any errors displayed, if so what are they ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Piotrbov

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »
You shouldn't actually need to turn it on as it is meant to be resident. If it isn't then you have some other issues.

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Does the avast 'a' icon appear in the system tray, see image ?
Does it have a Red circle with a bar through it over the top of the 'a' icon ?

Are you getting any errors displayed, if so what are they ?

From the first time. I don't have any of these blue circles. I did something ( don't remenber now what ;) ) and I have them now. And one of them has this red circle. I checked the info about this on the website http://www.avast.com/eng/faq-red-circle.html and it was truned off. Iwas trying to change it itno Automatical, but then ti says, that "access denied". I'm doing it in administrator account.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:30:09 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Check if the service status (ashServ.exe) is set to automatic (after repairing and booting).
The best things in life are free.

Piotrbov

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:39:21 PM »
Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

Check if the service status (ashServ.exe) is set to automatic (after repairing and booting).

Unfortunetly it didn't help. ashServ.exe is set to automatic, but this red circle isn't dissapear.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
Which error do you receive when you try to start the service?
Any other antivirus installed? In the past?

Do you suspect you're infected?
Can you schedule a boot time scanning with avast?

Piotrbov

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 10:08:19 PM »
Which error do you receive when you try to start the service?
Any other antivirus installed? In the past?

Do you suspect you're infected?
Can you schedule a boot time scanning with avast?

When I start service to turn on Avast It normally turning on, but while I'm trying to go into this icon with red circle there is an error:"Subsystem AAVM detected an error RPC. Operation couldn't been ended"
I don't have any antyvirus in my computer.
I don't think that I'm infected.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:10:52 PM »
I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. It will be good to accept the boot time scanning. Boot.
6. Check and post the results.

If that does not help, well, most probably you're infected and it's preventing avast to install and load correctly.

Piotrbov

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
Ok. It somehow works now. Thank you for help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 10:38:58 PM »
Ok. It somehow works now. Thank you for help.
What did you do?

cocutzamisca

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 03:46:20 PM »
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 04:07:01 PM by cocutzamisca »

Mr.Agent

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:07:12 PM »

Useless post please next time dont do this. ;)

Thank.

Mr.Agent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 09:42:47 PM »
If you look the post has been edited, so that was a correction of which you have no idea of the use or otherwise was of the original post.

Had you further checked you would have see it was likely to be incorrectly posted, so removed and a new topic created, hardly useless.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

minnburns

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
I don't have the blue icon in the system tray, but the user interface says that my resident protection is set at "standard". Does this mean that it is working?  Why don't I have the icon? 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
How are you getting to the User Interface without the icon ?

Please answer the questions I asked in Reply #1

Plus this:
avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder. I wouldn't try this as a first option (but a final one) as you won't be able to find the true cause of the problem.