Author Topic: Update question/issue  (Read 8261 times)

bobo1

Re: Update question/issue
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2009, 09:03:01 PM »
REPAIR THE BUGGER THROUGH ADD AND REMOVE PROGRAMS THEN!

Offline cska133

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 09:16:01 PM »
well is that the only solution?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 09:28:32 PM »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 09:31:09 PM »
<snip>
And please at what time came out the new vir.def. 11.10.2009 - 91011-0 ?

I don't believe the time of release is recorder only the date, I have only just got 091011-0 VPS.

http://www.avast.com/eng/vps_history.html
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2009, 10:56:39 PM »
is there a removal tool?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2009, 11:00:56 PM »
The normal add remove programs for an uninstall should be fine.

There is also the avast! Uninstall Utility, http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html, this should only be needed if there is a problem using the add remove programs function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline cska133

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 11:11:35 PM »
well then I dont understand why avast is not able to update my program version????

should be something with Windows Firewall in XP? But vir.def. update works...

Offline cska133

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »
and I have ZoneAlarm Firewall but Avast is allowed to connect to Internet.

What else should be ???
And there are no error messages, either in ZoneAlarm or in Avast.
Avast shows me that there is new version, but no auto update?!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 11:31:56 PM by cska133 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 11:30:04 PM »
ZA glitches...
Maybe removing avast.setup from ZA settings, booting, allowing it again.
The best things in life are free.

Offline cska133

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 11:34:18 PM »
ok, I will try.
But why def. update works and program update doesnt? The princip should be the same.
And as I saig Avast tells me there is new version but doesnt want to download it. And no errors about this...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »
But why def. update works and program update doesnt? The princip should be the same.
And as I saig Avast tells me there is new version but doesnt want to download it. And no errors about this...
I don't know if it explains, but avast update policy is:

avast checks if there is an available connection each 40 seconds.
If there isn't, wait more 40 seconds to check. Checking does not take more than one second and, of course, does not use the Internet band.
If there is a connection, check for an update. If there is not any new file to download, wait 4 hours to start checking again. If there is an available update, start it and install it. Again, wait 4 hours to check the next time.
Some of this settings could be configurated different, I posted the default values of the avast4.ini file. The updates are incremental.

ashServ.exe sends ping packets to find out if the Internet connection is alive. You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks. Every avast installation has a unique, randomly generated GUID ("general unique identifier") associated with it (it is generated during installation). This ID is random, but fixed. They use this value to determine when the updater pops up on YOUR machine, i.e., the program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update. avast starts warning you 3 weeks before it actually expires.

Offline cska133

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 11:51:57 PM »
You can turn this off by checking the "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet" box in the avast Program Settings > Update (Connections) page.
I have this option is actually activated. What does it cause now in relation to the updates?

The program updates are released but to avoid excessive load on the servers the auto update check happens randomically every 7 days and it's not checking every time you connect to the Internet as with the iAVS checks. Every avast installation has a unique, randomly generated GUID ("general unique identifier") associated with it (it is generated during installation). This ID is random, but fixed. They use this value to determine when the updater pops up on YOUR machine, i.e., the program already knows that the update is there, but it won't tell you until it's your turn. You have to allow the update, i.e., it's not a forced and automatic update. avast starts warning you 3 weeks before it actually expires.
What exactly you did write here I can not follow you, sorry.
What means "avast starts warning you 3weeks before it expires"? Who is talking about expiration here... I mean my avast program version which is 1356 and I have 1351 and this could not be updated automaticlly.

What do you mean, could you please explain it easier please.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:09 AM »
I don't know if it explains
I just post the policy, not an explanation.
As you've said, it shouldn't be happening that way.