Author Topic: Avast not showing in Security Center. Tried other solutions but does not work...  (Read 5036 times)

tableleg

Can anybody please tell me if this is normal for MS Security center to report 'Virus protection could not be found on this computer'

I have Vista 64 Ultimate.

I have read the page on rebuilding the repository and tried the procedure 3 times now but it does not work.

Can anybody help?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
The main thing is confirming avast is actually running, avast icon in notification tray area and rotating if items being scanned.

- What avast processes are running in Task Manager, they begin with ash or asw, see image ?

I don't know what options you were trying or if they are the same in Vista64, unfortunately, I don't use Vista so can't be much practical help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tableleg

Thanks for the reply :) .

Avast is running normally, there is no concern about that fact 8).

As for the processes running,
Avast service GUI Component.

Services,
Avast Iavs4 control service, Avast mail scanner, Avast web scanner, Avast antivirus

The description I followed was this one below:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Well it certainly appears to be running.

Check out these google hits, http://www.google.com/search?q=repair+wbem+repository+Vista+64+bit. This one from mvps.org would be a good start point, though it may well be covering the same ground, http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm.

Or I don't know the reason why it failed, perhaps because 64bit OS uses syswow64 (or something like that) instead of the normal system32.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 10:32:13 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

tableleg

Thanks again for the reply, I appreciate the attempts to help me 8) .

I have solved it, although what was going on I may never know.

Running normally, I ran an Avast  'program' update and it went the process of downloading an update but would continually stop at a point with an error saying it could not copy a file (something like aswmon....).

So I ran the uninstall program which got rid of it completely, then reinstalled from scratch and its all upto date and whats more the Security Center reports Avast is the Virus protection.

:)

CharleyO

Welcome to the forums, tableleg.   :)

Sometimes, a re-install is what is needed.

Also, a repair of avast will sometimes do the trick.

tableleg

Thanks for the reply.

I did try the repair first but this also came up with some errors and would not allow me to continue.

Sorted now though.

CharleyO

That's cool ... glad you have it all sorted now.   :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Thanks for the update, strange that given your reported errors when trying the repair, it would appear that the installation wasn't 100%

Did you happen to have another AV previously installed, as that can have an impact ?