Author Topic: There are other alternatives....  (Read 11577 times)

Sesame

Re: There are other alternatives....
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
Hi Superhacker,

What oposers of an alternative seems to forget is that a smaller software platform is more secure because it is not that interesting for malcreants that always like to have the fullest impact with their "costly" exploits. So if not everybody uses the software of the big company those with the relatively unknown software are more secure by sheer numbers (safe the developer is not an idiot and maintains his software sensibly), so just because of statistics the users of Sumatra's reader should be more secure than the users of Adobe's, and certainly in comparison with the users of Adobe 9 or a not-fully patched version, and again the more features in software the more ways open to compromise eventually. Yes, my malware fighting friends, all things to consider...

polonus

No, polonus, we don't forget about that.  A part of me has to feel that it's unfair even to MS to do such comparison since their share is very high.  However, in reality, practically, it is safer to choose minor applications since there are smaller chance that they are targetted.  The same logic goes to the article which Pondus kindly linked in this forum.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: There are other alternatives....
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 08:28:10 PM »
@Rumpel

Thanks, Rumpel for backing me up, always good to find a similar view out in the malware trenches.
We are developing the same awareness then, may it be fair to the big vendors or not,
and I feel not much pity for 'em 'cause the unaware will choose them anayways,
it will not cost them major market share  ;D

Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!