Author Topic: Avast 4.8 Free  (Read 3509 times)

alicez

Avast 4.8 Free
« on: May 17, 2009, 07:08:22 PM »
I just installed the Avast 4.8 Free version on my Win98se notebook (with dial-up) and wonder if there is someplace I can see a 'write-up' about how to configure the Avast that I have just installed.

I am new at computers and with Avast 4.8. (I have AVG 7.5 on this Win98se, but they stopped supporting that version.)

Is there some place that will show me how to set-up all the various sections of Avast 4.8.

I don't want automatic updates, scan at start-up and things like that.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Alice

onlysomeone

Re: Avast 4.8 Free
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
Hi alicez!

Welcome to the avast! web forum!
I hope you enjoy using avast!  ;)

Basically the settings of avast! are very good for the average user, but if you would like to customize them you also have many possiblities to do that.

The automatic updates can be deactivated by rightclicking the avast!-symbol in the taskbar --> settings --> Update (simple) --> set whatever you want...

Avast does no special scan at startup exept the rootkit scan some time after the system start...
Avast permanently scans your PC.

If you need further help please simply ask or if you want, you can use the avast! Home manual

yours
onlysomeone

majokam

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
Hi i have installed Avast 4.8 in my windows Professional. Sadly it need some updates and am working off line. Please assist.

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 08:39:06 PM »
Hi i have installed Avast 4.8 in my windows Professional. Sadly it need some updates and am working off line. Please assist.

Of course it needs updates, there are new virus signatures being written daily.

You need to go on-line and right click on the avast system tray ball icon, then click on updating, you can either update the program or the virus definitions.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline nightshade

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »
I just installed the Avast 4.8 Free version on my Win98se notebook (with dial-up) and wonder if there is someplace I can see a 'write-up' about how to configure the Avast that I have just installed.

I am new at computers and with Avast 4.8. (I have AVG 7.5 on this Win98se, but they stopped supporting that version.)

Is there some place that will show me how to set-up all the various sections of Avast 4.8.

I don't want automatic updates, scan at start-up and things like that.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Alice

Can I ask what you have been using since AVG dropped support? as it's been more than a year now if not longer.
Free avast.
Product version 22.4.6011
Windows 7 32bit
Version 6.1 build 7601 service pack 1

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Don't hijack threads, you should start a new thread about your problem.

Download the file from http://www.avast.com/eng/updates.html from a computer that is connected to Internet, and put the file on a USB-stick or CD/DVD disc
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon