Author Topic: Blue rotating ball missing from system tray  (Read 3699 times)

Spider8

Blue rotating ball missing from system tray
« on: October 14, 2009, 06:53:48 PM »
The blue rotating A and I are missing from my system tray this has me worried as they are always there.  Where did they go?  Did a scan yesterday no bugs found and today the icons are gone. ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Blue rotating ball missing from system tray
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »
Try a repair of avast. Add Remove programs, select 'avast! Anti-Virus,' click the Change/Remove button and scroll down to Repair, click next and follow.

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

avast! icon missing - As a temporary measure until this is resolved you can create a desktop shortcut for this file C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe (the avast icon and interface to the providers).  Right click on the file and select Send To, Desktop (create shortcut). You will need to run this after each boot until the problem is resolved.

What other security based software do you have that might block new startup entries, e.g. Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor (StartUpGuard or OnGuard), PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

Check the option in the Appearance tab of Program Settings. Or Make a link to ashdisp.exe in your startup folder. I wouldn't try this as a first option (but a final one) as you won't be able to find the true cause of the problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Spider8

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:59:06 PM »
have already re-downloaded and hit repair but the icons didn't come back.  Didn't turn scanner off at any time!

Spider8

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
I have ad-aware which I updated yesterday and spybot search and destroy also updated yesterday!

Spider8

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
I deleted the Updated Ad Aware program as it blocks processes and then restarted my computer the "A' is back!  Thank You! 
I'd like to run Ad-Aware again but had better figure out how to make it not block my virus protection first!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 08:13:14 PM »
You're welcome.

AdAware is I'm afraid not very good it hasn't kept pace with developments. Spybot S&D is better but still not in the top rank now.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it periodically, weekly, fortnightly, etc.

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

YoKenny

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 12:51:24 AM »