Author Topic: How do you know if a fax event wasn't a virus?  (Read 3198 times)

barbarahasquestions

How do you know if a fax event wasn't a virus?
« on: October 14, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »
I was online at my paypal account and I had to print a copy of a recept. For some reason my print feature was set to fax instead of print and that is not normal because I DO NOT HAVE A FAX I clicked OK before I realized what the setting was and now I am worried fi my paypal information or any keylogging was faxed anywhere.

I checked my 'printer and faxes' thing and according to that there was nothing in my outbox or my sent file.

And something has caused my AVAST to turn off. The little icon has a red circle with a line through it. This happened a while ago.

I have issues with the memory on this stupid computer and you should view the crap on my task list. I don't know what half that crap is for.

:-)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: How do you know if a fax event wasn't a virus?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:40:13 PM »
Not 100% sure about this but i think you need a DialUp line to use the fax function
If you think you may be infected, scan your computer with a couple of malware removers

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware http://filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
SUPERAntiSpyware http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
Even if this were a function only available to those on dial-up, the printer driver for the fax would have to have been installed.

If the user didn't do it, who did and that is I believe the underlying question is.

I have got dial-up, but I don't have a Fax option in the Print drop down list of options, those that I do have other than the actual Printer had to be specifically installed, see image1. So you have to set up faxing, if you click that option, you are going to be asked for a CD or a location for the driver, image2; so this sort of thing can't really happen by accident, but by design.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 11:02:17 PM »
If the user didn't do it, who did and that is I believe the underlying question is.
My old W98 Dell433c computer had fax function in the dialup modem software  it was delivered with

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 01:01:23 AM »
Yes, many do (if I dig out my old CD it probably has too, but the driver still has to be installed. The only time I installed a fax driver was with WinFax Pro, which I no longer use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »
what's fax ;D ;D ;D