Author Topic: Scheduled boot time scan was unable to scan files because CAB file was corrupt  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
So you're really Wally?  ;D
(IMHO the fact the boss reprimanded you over something like that validates the presence of the squeeze toy 100%.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

You can call me Wally if you want but just don't call me late for dinner.

fishbowl231

What I do, and is recommended practice, is to not remove the existing firewall and AV until your intended replacements have been downloaded ready to install. (And any uninstall tools that may be needed.)

Alternatively, use another computer and place the required installer files on a flash drive.

Either way, you can install your security without being online.

I have done this the naive way before, a handful of times (long long ago, on a PC far away) and have on some of those occasions become infected, and needed an online scanner to fix things up. At the time I used TrendMicro Housecall.
After getting the new computer with Symantec pre-installed, I got semi-wise, and worked out how to do it safely. (I didn't know about uninstall/removal tools then. Took me a long time to completely remove the Symantec stuff.)
Thanks for the tips. Would you recommend formatting and restoring my computer at this point? Since I was on the web for a little bit with just Windows firewall which doesn't seem like it's exactly a good one.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Thanks for the tips. Would you recommend formatting and restoring my computer at this point? Since I was on the web for a little bit with just Windows firewall which doesn't seem like it's exactly a good one.
Are you infected? if not no

How Secure is Windows Firewall?
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=76

fishbowl231

Are you infected? if not no

How Secure is Windows Firewall?
http://www.flexbeta.net/main/articles.php?action=show&id=76
Would malwarebytes, windows defender, avast scans be able to tell me if I had been hacked?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Would malwarebytes, windows defender, avast scans be able to tell me if I had been hacked?
Probably. Especially repeat scans with a number of different applications.
The Windows Firewall is a very good firewall, apart from the limitation of no outbound control. The chances you've had malware install while going online to get yourself an AV are fairly small, with the Windows firewall on. (Had it been off, I'd say the chances were fairly good you'd have some infection.)
If there are no symptoms, and repeat scans turn up clean, I personally would not bother about formatting and reinstalling Windows.

fishbowl231

Got a new file that came up on the avast boot scan:

C:\Document and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\GLB60.tmp\Wise0003.bin Error42146 {Installer achieve is corrupted}

I looked the file up and couldn't open w/ any programs I could think of. The properties said it was part of Yahoo! Suite which has the Yahoo! messenger. Should I be concerned about this?

I know that when it says the blank is corrupted it just means Avast is unable to scan it. Why is it unable to scan certain files?

P.S: I tried uninstalling Yahoo Messenger and another boot scanner and the file still came up with the scan.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:21:41 AM by fishbowl231 »

fishbowl231

One more question I had Norton originally on this computer. D/Led the tool to remove it after I went into the control panel and uninstalled it there. Does it matter if I'm in safe mode to use the Norton removal tool or not?

fishbowl231

*BUMP* for the last two questions. I would appreciate any info

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I don't know for certain (which is the reason I didn't reply) but I don't think it matters if the Norton tool is run in safe or normal. (Try both. Can't do any harm. The second run probably won't find anything additional, but if it does, let us know.)
The file "GLB60.tmp" would appear to be related to one of the following software vendors:
    * SmartDraw.com; SmartDraw 2008; 2008.31
    * Stardock Corporation - www.stardock.com; Stardock Central; 2.x
    * SmartDraw.com; SmartDraw 2007; 1032, 4455, 0, 0
    * SpeedBit Ltd.; Download Accelerator Plus (DAP); 9304 (Build 1057
That it's corrupted probably doesn't matter. Being a .tmp file it is probably safe to delete. It probably was a temporary part of the process involving the installation of something..either Yahoo messenger (likely) or one of those listed above (courtesy of Prevx.) Lots of self-installing files leave un-needed stuff behind after they've done their thing. Maybe this case is one of those.
Files that cannot be scanned are just that, it's not an indication they are infected. (And most probably aren't.)

fishbowl231

Thanks for the info.  I appreciate it a lot. Can you explain why certain files are unable to be read by avast boot scanner?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
I can't with any authority or knowledge, but some files, often used by other security programs or even MS encrypted files are password protected by their own respective programs, and some might use an unknown compression technique.
Generally if you look at the name and path of a file that's unable to be scanned, it will reveal enough about why to reassure. (That's usually my experience. Part of the OS, or Spybot, or similar.)

I have noticed that sometimes a file that Avast can't scan certain other scanners sometimes can (or claim to scan them); make what you will of that.