Author Topic: avast! Skin Tutorial  (Read 47397 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Re:avast! Skin Tutorial
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2004, 01:54:22 PM »
Finally someone is working on skins except Martin and me... although it would be much better if you just used that skin as a template just to see how everything is done, not to use graphical concept... I hope you understand what do I mean. Maybe to make different windows order, buttons locations inside skin and stuff like that... you kept even the original size of buttons. Try to make something using that theme, but with original idea if I may say... don't take this as criticism, this is just constructive advice. I mean if people already have oportunity to have skin like that (Flat'n'Simple) what are chances they wanna see same skin with different colors ?

Good work, but try to put some originality also... What I mean is, try to make some skin with totaly different base window shape, different sections order etc.

Question: Is that skin finished in SkinBuilder or just preview picture you made so far ?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2004, 01:56:04 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Darren

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2004, 11:53:51 PM »
Yeah, I know what you are saying. This is the first time I have ever used the skin builder and I really don't understand how to use it that well. I will try to make a different one form yours next time. Thanks for the advice.
The skin is finished as far as I can tell. I am using it on my avast! home.

Finally someone is working on skins except Martin and me... although it would be much better if you just used that skin as a template just to see how everything is done, not to use graphical concept... I hope you understand what do I mean. Maybe to make different windows order, buttons locations inside skin and stuff like that... you kept even the original size of buttons. Try to make something using that theme, but with original idea if I may say... don't take this as criticism, this is just constructive advice. I mean if people already have oportunity to have skin like that (Flat'n'Simple) what are chances they wanna see same skin with different colors ?

Good work, but try to put some originality also... What I mean is, try to make some skin with totaly different base window shape, different sections order etc.

Question: Is that skin finished in SkinBuilder or just preview picture you made so far ?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2004, 01:46:30 AM »
Don't get me wrong Darren. I don't want to scare you and and don't wanna see you run away. The fact that someone is trying to make new skins is just wonderful. I just tried to give you some constructive comments, not to scare you in any way.

I hope you see now, how SkinBuilder is weird program... it needs much more than just load picture and save skin.

Keep up good work, send that skin to Vlk and if he likes it (first he has to test it million times) I'm sure he's going to upload it in avast! skins download section. I wanna see you announcing here in forums that you made something completely and 100% yours. Just play with SkinBuilder's effects and I'm sure you'll find way to make something totaly original.

Cheers !

Darren

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 01:06:35 AM »
What about this? I didn't include a Form element, but it looks like it's not required. I did this one by myself. I'm still playing around with animations. I want to try and make it display a status message when the start, stop, or pause button is pressed.
One question...when I browse for my skin, it shows avast! as the author, even though I have my name entered in Skin Builder.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2004, 01:54:49 AM »
Good, now you're getting it... it's yours and it's original, that way it will be much more appreciated.

What do you mean by Author: avast! It doesn't say avast! anywhere...

It says APPLICATION: avast! You don't wanna change that, 'cause application IS avast!  ;D

Author... it should be under Author column. There is only one place where you can enter your name when you're in SkinBuilder... on the left side of the screen, you'll see PROJECT section. Click on first thing you see below. It should be SKIN. Now, under Active Skin 4.3 control, you should see PROPERTIES. Go end edit that line, put your name instead of Alwil Software and that's it... It should work, it must work.

That's all I do, and my name appears next to my skins in skin browser window...

Hope this helps...

By the way, check this thread... it's my newest skin:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5224

or this one... skin dedicated to all those who died on September 11th:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=5182
Sasha
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 02:01:15 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Darren

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 03:19:00 AM »
I did all of that, but it still shows Avast! as the author in the avast! skin browser. You say put my name instead of Alwil Software, but I started with a blank project in skin builder, and "Author" was blank. I put my name in there and avast! as the "Application". Thanks for your help.

What do you mean by Author: avast! It doesn't say avast! anywhere...

It says APPLICATION: avast! You don't wanna change that, 'cause application IS avast!  ;D

Author... it should be under Author column. There is only one place where you can enter your name when you're in SkinBuilder... on the left side of the screen, you'll see PROJECT section. Click on first thing you see below. It should be SKIN. Now, under Active Skin 4.3 control, you should see PROPERTIES. Go end edit that line, put your name instead of Alwil Software and that's it... It should work, it must work.

That's all I do, and my name appears next to my skins in skin browser window...

Hope this helps...

« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:19:48 AM by Darren »

Tipton

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 03:28:37 AM »
What about this? I didn't include a Form element, but it looks like it's not required. I did this one by myself. I'm still playing around with animations. I want to try and make it display a status message when the start, stop, or pause button is pressed.
One question...when I browse for my skin, it shows avast! as the author, even though I have my name entered in Skin Builder.

Thats is a really nice looking skin Darren. You have captured the XP OS look which I really like.

Douglas
« Last Edit: June 15, 2004, 03:36:20 AM by Tipton »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2004, 03:52:58 AM »
I did all of that, but it still shows Avast! as the author in the avast! skin browser. You say put my name instead of Alwil Software, but I started with a blank project in skin builder, and "Author" was blank. I put my name in there and avast! as the "Application". Thanks for your help.

Darren, what version of SkinBuilder are you using ? v4.2 or v4.3 ? I use version 4.3, and here is everything like it should be. If I enter my name in that field, it will show my name... like you can see on your screenshot.

Darren

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2004, 03:54:41 AM »
Thanks. I was wanting the XP look myself.

Thats is a really nice looking skin Darren. You have captured the XP OS look which I really like.

Douglas

Darren

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2004, 03:58:44 AM »
I am using v4.3

Darren, what version of SkinBuilder are you using ? v4.2 or v4.3 ? I use version 4.3, and here is everything like it should be. If I enter my name in that field, it will show my name... like you can see on your screenshot.

Tipton

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2004, 04:02:48 AM »
Thanks. I was wanting the XP look myself.

Douglas

Are you going to publish it for Avast users? Is there anyway to make the background color a darker shade of blue? I love the look of the  Acronis True Image GUI. (See screenshot) Your skin looks very similiar.

Thaks

Douglas

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2004, 04:35:34 AM »
Hmm Quicksilver is the name. (any relation to the Mirror Drive Door Power Mac G4 codename Quicksilver?)
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Darren

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2004, 06:08:14 AM »
I am using trial version. That is why the author is not showing my name. Softshape is no longer offering ActiveSkin for sale. I guess I am out of the skin business. :(

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2004, 11:55:57 AM »
Darren, don't be silly... why should you stop making skins just because SkinBuilder won't show your name ? F**k the name... make skins, and if Alwil guys decide to publish it in avast! skins download section, they will put your name righ next to skin picture preview... isn't that good enough ?

Keep up trying mu friend... don't give up on first obsticle !!!

Cheers !

Darren

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2004, 03:52:22 PM »
 ;D
Ok, so where do I send it? Do I zip it, or just send the 92.4 KB .aswcs file?
Thanks for the encouragement!

Darren, don't be silly... why should you stop making skins just because SkinBuilder won't show your name ? F**k the name... make skins, and if Alwil guys decide to publish it in avast! skins download section, they will put your name righ next to skin picture preview... isn't that good enough ?

Keep up trying mu friend... don't give up on first obsticle !!!

Cheers !