Author Topic: Email Protection!  (Read 10102 times)

TrInAdOr

Email Protection!
« on: June 07, 2004, 05:35:27 PM »
Hello im testing the free edition of the virus.

TO now is going good, but i have a little question.

Im in a little microsoft network here at home, and my machine is the conection manager.

Does AVAST check the clients emails?

Thank You.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:05:08 PM by TrInAdOr »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re:Email Protection!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2004, 06:25:41 PM »
Home Edition is only for personal non-profit use. For corporate usage you should check the Pro version.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2004, 07:16:21 PM »
Does AVAST check the clients emails?

Yes, Internet Mail provider checks incoming and outgoing e-mail messages processed by clients other than MS Outlook or Exchange, such as Outlook Express, Eudora etc. Again, it will refuse to accept or send a message containing a viral code.

The Internet Mail Clients supported are: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

But, take care of what RejZoR said: It is very clear in the registration process that AVAST is free for HOME and NON-COMMERCIAL usage.

As far as I know from many legal interpretations and "Terms" agreements, a non-profit organization, although com-mercially formed, is not considered a "commercial enterprise" which is typically profit based.

Unless the AVAST team states otherwise, I would say this:

This software is released as FREEWARE, but it may not be sold or be included in a product or package which intends to receive benefits through the inclusion of this software. The AVAST HOME files must remain unmodified, unchanged, and cannot be "broken down" and then used in whole or in part of "any other software" without specific agreement with Alwil/Avast.  

Once you register as a home user, you can without reservation, use Avast Home on more than one computer that YOU own.  Any other user on YOUR computer is fine.  But, any user with their own computer even if in the same household should register for their own copy.

Avast licensing scheme there are two conditions which qualify the user for free non-limited usage of our avast! 4 Home. The rules are clear: home AND non-commercial use

1) it must be the home usage - so any organisations (non-profit or commercial) are disqualified.

2) there should not be any commercial activity done on the computer which is to be protected by avast!,
i.e., if you use it to make some profit, you also do not qualify for avast! Home usage, even on the home computer.
So both conditions should be met for free program!

Anyway, you can try to send the e-mail to sales@avast.com and ask discounts there...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 07:41:28 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

TrInAdOr

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »
Don't worry here in my home im not making money...

Im testing the soft here in my house, and if it goes good, perhaps i will buy a commercial version.

Dont worry, i can decide that in my work.

Cya and Tx.

Storm Rider

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 04:31:21 AM »
I don't see Thunderbird mail in your list of supported Internet Mail Clients.

Is there any way I can be sure Avast is checking my mail?

Thanks

Maffya

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 10:46:39 AM »
Sajnos nem tudok angolul ezért magyarul tenném fel a kérdést remélem lesz valaki aki válaszol is rá.

A problémám az hogy használok egy spam szüröt a POPFILE-t ami a 127.0.0.1 es portot használja és jól müködik megvagyok vele elégedve.Ha felteszem az AVAST!-ot az is ezt a portot kéri hogy állitsam be.Az email kliens a THE BAT!.A kérdésem az lenne hogy a levelezési védelmi beállittásokba az AVAST!-nak milyen portot adjak meg ,hogy tudja ellenörizni a leveleimet???

Maffya

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 10:52:41 AM »
Sajnos nem tudok angolul ezért magyarul tenném fel a kérdést remélem lesz valaki aki válaszol is rá.

A problémám az hogy használok egy spam szüröt a POPFILE-t ami a 127.0.0.1 es portot használja és jól müködik megvagyok vele elégedve.Ha felteszem az AVAST!-ot az is ezt a portot kéri hogy állitsam be.Az email kliens a THE BAT!.A kérdésem az lenne hogy a levelezési védelmi beállittásokba az AVAST!-nak milyen portot adjak meg ,hogy tudja ellenörizni a leveleimet???

NAMOR

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 11:21:10 AM »
The Internet Mail Clients supported are: MS Outlook (including Outlook 2003), MS Exchange, MS Outlook Express, Eudora, Pegasus Mail, Netscape Mail, Mozilla Mail, IncrediMail and The Bat!

Don't forget Opera's M2...  ;D

on the internet email provider check mark "insert note into clean message" for POP, SMTP and/or IMAP.. Hope thats what your looking for...

lian

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 02:45:08 PM »

Thanks
I use Avast with Thunderbird and it works perfectly.

earlpiggot

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 08:52:52 PM »
Hi!

I am thinking of making the transition from OE to thunderbird, but as I have failed once in the past, I want to be sure that I will not have problems with avast free home edition (latest).

My problem is that I have plenty of email accounts at various providers, using the same username -naturally- in most of them.

Thunderbird distinguishes between different accounts using the username and the pop3 server name /IP. So, if it finds two accounts with the same login name -say earlpiggot- and the same server name, that is 127.0.0.1, it will not accept the second one, thus resulting in refusing to import the account settings and data from OE.

I suppose I can overcome this by switching off email protection in Avast!, so that all accounts are reset to their real pop3 servers, and proceed with the transition to Thunderbird.

My question is what happens next. I can read positive answers that Avast supports thunderbird, but can someone confirm this, by his own experience of using more than one pop3 accounts with the same username in Thunderbird?

If I switch to Thunderbird with the real pop3 server names, will I be able to switch Avast email protection on again without any problems?

Will I have to do set something manually?

I hope I have made my point clear.

Looking forward to some precise answer...
Thank you in advance!

Staind

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 09:19:56 PM »

Thanks
Could try attaching Eicar virus test file and attempt to send it to yourself.

lian

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2004, 10:23:26 PM »
Hi!

I am thinking of making the transition from OE to thunderbird, but as I have failed once in the past, I want to be sure that I will not have problems with avast free home edition (latest).

My problem is that I have plenty of email accounts at various providers, using the same username -naturally- in most of them.

Thunderbird distinguishes between different accounts using the username and the pop3 server name /IP. So, if it finds two accounts with the same login name -say earlpiggot- and the same server name, that is 127.0.0.1, it will not accept the second one, thus resulting in refusing to import the account settings and data from OE.

I hardly understand your problem. You cannot have the same user name with the same popname ?? It will be one unique mail address, no?
In Thunderbird with Avast I have for account parameters
1. server name: 127.0.0.1
2.username: myself#pop.mail.com

So, you'll have to create different account that will be different in the username (myself#pop.email.fr, myself#pop.mymail.com etc...)
I suggest you to import the accounts without Avast configured in OE then reconfigure the accounts for Avast in Thunderbird (I hope you have not thousands of accounts).

earlpiggot

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »
1.server name: 127.0.0.1
2.username: myself#pop.mail.com
Well, this must be it! If the username becomes username#real_mailserver_name, then no two accounts will end up identical.

I suggest you to import the accounts without Avast configured in OE then reconfigure the accounts for Avast in Thunderbird (I hope you have not thousands of accounts).
This is what I had in mind. It's only 23 pop3 email accounts, 1 IMAP account and 3 news accounts.

earlpiggot

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2004, 10:58:24 PM »
If I switch to Thunderbird with the real pop3 server names, will I be able to switch Avast email protection on again without any problems?

May I repeat this question:
After turning email protection on in Avast Home, will the settings in Thunderbird change by Avast itself, or will I have to do it manually?

If I have to do it manually, where will I be able to find the port used for each account? (I suppose it won't be 110 for all of them, right?)

thanx in advance

lian

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2004, 10:46:39 AM »

May I repeat this question:
After turning email protection on in Avast Home, will the settings in Thunderbird change by Avast itself, or will I have to do it manually?

If I have to do it manually, where will I be able to find the port used for each account? (I suppose it won't be 110 for all of them, right?)

thanx in advance

Well I don't remember if I did it manually (maybe Avast shows you the accounts ?? Hmpff, sorry, I cannot answer you for that). For each pop 3 and news account, it's port 110 (it's default port in Thunderbird: you just have to keep on default port).