Author Topic: recommendations on free firewall?  (Read 35380 times)

tiresias

Re: recommendations on free firewall?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »
Personal Firewall Tests & Results. Firewall rating:
http://www.matousec.com/projects/firewall-challenge/results.php

is mcafee really as bad as mtousec says? i've been using it for years w/o an apparent problem. i downloaded as part of att/yahoo dsl package. i'm not very technical though. should i junk it for one of the ones rated higher?

Hermite15

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2009, 07:51:27 PM »
hey tiresias, thanks for the info about routers  ;D

tiresias

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 07:56:15 PM »
if you're on DSL or cable you already have one, rented or sold or given to you by your ISP. So the "simplest"  ;) way to get behind it is to connect your computer to it, either via ethernet or wifi (or usb...)...the router integrates, most of the time, the modem that will connect you to the Internet. Its functions are not just to make a "bridge" (gateway) between you and the Internet, but also between your computer and other computers on your local network, allowing file and printer sharing. (routers can be bought as standalone if needed).
 Routers are a security because they have a firewall (that you don't absolutely need to configure) inside. I consider this layer more important than the software firewall used in Windows. Go to "shield ups" http://www.grc.com/intro.htm with just a software firewall, and then with just the router's firewall, and see the difference in the results.

Thanks Logos. But does it follow that if I have a router  that i can get away with using xp firewall along with avast home edition as my sole protection?

Avastfan1

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 07:58:07 PM »

I do not recommend:
ZoneAlarm

Hi Tech,

May I ask why you don't recommend ZoneAlarm?

I only ask because I use ZoneAlarm Pro.

Thanks!

Avastfan1

PS: Comments are more than welcome from other forum users as well!

Hermite15

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 08:30:54 PM »
Thanks Logos. But does it follow that if I have a router  that i can get away with using xp firewall along with avast home edition as my sole protection?

no, you still need an outbound firewall. XP firewall can't set outbound rules (and imagine with the router, this would be a disaster, the firewall there is not a windows application, no alert  ;)...rules can be set manually in routers firewalls but that's not very practical). So you basically need a both ways software firewall in Windows.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 10:55:29 PM »
To use a simple analogy, the router, the XP firewall, are both like having a good latch on the door to your house. Difficult for a burglar to get in.
However if one does get in (because, say, a house member invited him in or left the back door unlocked - equivalent to a browser vulnerability or a drive by download-) He then has access to the entire household. You have the best deadlock that money can buy. It needs unlocking from the inside. The burglar can get around that by simply removing the hinges, now he has access.
There are no hinge locks on your door, so he can simply open it and take the booty out and away.

Hinge locks are like fixed bolts into the door frame that prevent the door being removed from its hinges from the inside, to facilitate removal of bulky items. Combined with a dead lock, it turns the door into something quite impregnable, without the use of heavy and destructive tools.

Think of a two way firewall as hinge locks. If something gets in - and there are ways that can happen- it has to ask you for permission to leave.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

tiresias

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 11:05:04 PM »

Avastfan1

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
The latest version is ZA Pro 9.1.008.000.

Is there another link which is more current?

Thanks!

sded

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
Most consumer level routers actually don't have much of a firewall, but rely on NAT (Network Address Translation) to provide similar levels of protection.  NAT is actually an interim step in the IP4 to IP6 internet addressing transition, (The Internet is running (ran?) out of unique IP addresses) allowing for private IP addresses http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_address#IPv4_private_addresses valid only within your LAN and repeated in other LANs to have a way to connect to the internet.  This is done by having your router maintain tables of outgoing traffic from each of the computers on your LAN, doing the LAN-WAN IP address translation, only allowing inbound (WAN) traffic that is a response to something you sent out, and keeping track of who sent what out to accomplish this.  So the router manages your connection streams for you without much intervention.  This is a different approach than a firewall, which actually looks at blocking/allowing ports and protocols via rules, but is generally quite effective.  A router does need to have a way to punch holes in this to allow things like passive FTP, but usually there are only a few settings and sometimes some interesting tweaks.  I have attached the firewalls for two DSL routers as examples: the first is a Linksys consumer router running Tomato firmware, which has just a few settings.  The other is for a Netopia business class router, which I am using as a bridge but which has actual firewall capabilities; when not set it becomes NAT again.  So a router is a great thing to have, requires no setup, and lets you mostly forget about WAN generated inbound traffic security issues.  But a software router helps you manage your LAN security and outbound connection permissions as well for things just phoning home or actual malware that got in somehow.  Looking forward to seeing the capabilities of the Avast! version.
Of the dozen or so software firewalls I have used for any length of time, currently focused on Online Armor.  It has some useful features for handling mobile users who often switch between networks that augment its usability and general firewall capabilities that are highly rated elsewhere.  Plus, like Avast!, they are a great company to deal with.  I used Comodo for a year (beta tester, moderator), and the firewall/D+ is still good but unnecessarily complicated for most users unless you just enjoy security as a hobby-the suite development effectively stopped the potential growth of the firewall/HIPS.  The others discussed I haven't used recently, but they get good ratings and you just need to try them on for size to see what fits the way you want to use your system.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:01:31 AM by sded »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2009, 11:58:43 PM »

I do not recommend:
ZoneAlarm

Hi Tech,

May I ask why you don't recommend ZoneAlarm?

I only ask because I use ZoneAlarm Pro.

Thanks!

Avastfan1

PS: Comments are more than welcome from other forum users as well!
I just think that:
1. Zonelabs support is very poor.
2. They have problems with avast and never acknowledged them. It's a lack of trustfulness.
3. I think there are better free firewalls nowadays.
So, I'm an ex-ZA user.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »
So, I'm an ex-ZA user.
same here

and I'm agree with Tech, all what he said is right, it's 4-5 years I don't use ZoneAlarm, I feel my windows is ill when ZoneAlarm is installed, ZoneAlarm was a good Firewall for Windows XP many years ago.

I think currently Online Armor and Outpost are good choices.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Hard_ROCKER

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 12:19:45 AM »
So that issue with ZA still hasn't been resolved after all these years Tech ? ???

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

tiresias

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 12:22:41 AM »
please correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that a combination of avast home edition + any of the freebie firewalls listed on matousec and rated excellent is better than the mcafee i currently have protecting my computer
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:25:41 AM by tiresias »

YoKenny

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:21 AM »
please correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems that a combination of avast home edition + any of the freebie firewalls listed on matousec and rated excellent is better than the mcafee i currently have protecting my computer
Stay away from Comodo.

Currently Online Armor and Outpost are good choices.

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »
of course avast! antivirus is much better than McAfee, both on Protection and performance.
and again same about McAfee firewall in compare to all better firewall which you can find for free.

yes, you are right, avast! + a good free firewall is better than your McAfee suite.
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE