Author Topic: Need Help on Continual Blue/White Screen  (Read 4023 times)

Sunny

Need Help on Continual Blue/White Screen
« on: June 08, 2004, 01:46:32 AM »
Hello,

I believe I must have set something incorrectly. I get this constant blue and white scanning screen that starts on the bottom and reaches up to mid-screen while the resident scanner is on. It drives me crazy! I've looked everywhere that I know of, but can't find a way to make the resident scanner work in the background only. (Having it work during screen saver won't work for me because when I'm connected, I'm always working.) I hope someone can help me.

Thank you in advance.

Sunny

techie101

Re:Need Help on Continual Blue/White Screen
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 03:07:11 AM »
Sunny,

I have not heard of this behavior nor do I really understand what you are seeing.

I would at this point save time and do an  Avast Repair using the Control Panel Add/Remove function.

Open up Control Panel...
Go to Add/Remove...
Find Avast and "double click" on the listing. DO NOT USE THE ADD/REMOVE BUTTON!
A window will open with a few choices like Change, Repair, Remove...
Find the Repair option and click on it, then click ok.

If this does not solve the problem, then go back and REMOVE Avast.  Reboot and reinstall.

Techie

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 04:55:31 AM »
Hello Techie,

Thanks for replying. I did the repair, but haven't done a reinstall yet. I probably didn't explain the problem well. While my On Access Scanner is running, every file that is scanned--as it is being scanned--is listed at the bottom of whatever site I'm on. It has a title called "Avast On-Line Scanner Message," in blue, and below that, it shows all of the files in white. It climbs the page as I watch it. Sound familiar now? If not, since the repair didn't work, I guess I'll have to reinstall. I hoped that you might recognize this behavior. I'll wait awhile to see if you or anyone else comes up with something. I'll bet I set something wrong.

Thanks anyway.

Sunny

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 05:42:32 AM »
every file that is scanned--as it is being scanned--is listed at the bottom of whatever site I'm on.

Sunny, do not worry.
Go to the providers settings on the tab 'Advanced' and un-check the option 'Show detailed information on action...'. These options are un-checked by default but, for some reason, maybe to be informed, you check them all.
Can you get there?  ;)
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 05:57:46 AM »
sunny,

Technical was on the ball again!   NOW I understand what you were trying to explain, and yes....I know of this behavior.

The setting Technical mentioned causes Avast to "display" any scan and the results as it progresses.  This option is useful sometimes for troubleshooting but otherwise takes up space and is distracting.  It should be the cause of your trouble.

Try what Technical explained before doing anything else.

Techie

Sunny

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 04:13:29 AM »
Hello Technical and Techie,

You did it! I THOUGHT I might have set something wrong, but I didn't know where to begin looking! (I'm only "eight days old" on this program, and still having to find my way around.)

Thank you both for your great help, and for being there for all of us! I really appreciate it. The mark of a really good program is support.

Sunny

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 06:38:18 AM »
Hello Technical and Techie,
The mark of a really good program is support.

You're at the best support... Belive us...  ;D
The best things in life are free.