Author Topic: Avast Download/Installation Problem.  (Read 2243 times)

Offline havildar

Avast Download/Installation Problem.
« on: October 19, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
Good Morning,

I wonder if I might have some help with an installation problem?

I`ve inherited an old(ish) laptop from the school where my son teaches ... a generous benefactor has re-equipped the IT Dept.
It (the laptop) is running XP Sp2 Professional and was previously part of a Domain. I have the user name and password for an Administrators Group account which does work but there are many areas still greyed out and inaccessible so I can`t undo the Domain/network configuration. The original IT man has moved on to pastures new unfortunately, so I`m unable to log on as administrator without the necessary user name and password.

I can live with that all right but I would like to install Avast Home, which I can do, I think, since this is just a second home computer, no longer belonging to an institution. The problem is that it refuses to install, coming up with Error 301.

Is there a way round this or am I going to have to get used to running this machine without AV protection?

(Thanks for reading.)
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: Avast Download/Installation Problem.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 01:40:48 PM »
Can you please try once more? There were some problems previously related to this, but they should've been fixed a while ago...

Thanks
vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline havildar

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:05 PM »
Thanks Vlk for your reply.

I will try again later today and let you know how I get on. I`ve already downloaded and installed  Malwarebytes Antimalware and SUPERAntispyware both of which scanned and came up with more malware than I would have believed possible ... heaven only knows what sort of sites the boys have been visiting!

I installed IE 8 as well but it seems to be trying to connect through a proxy server (Domain server?) every thirty seconds or so even though the ISP connection succeeds eventually. (Three instances of iexplore.exe running in task manager and high CPU usage.)

It was this that made me think that the installation problem was at my end rather than yours.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Offline havildar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
Many thanks to Avast forum members (and Vilk) for your advice.

I have now installed Avast Home using the full English set-up file from the Avast website and the problem is resolved.

Feeling much safer on-line now ... thank you Avast!