Author Topic: By-Pass Delete Dialog?  (Read 5919 times)

Don Gray

By-Pass Delete Dialog?
« on: October 20, 2009, 06:26:17 PM »
Hi (first post),
Is there a way to bypass the delete confirmation dialog for email?
Seems the spammers are sending me more and more and it's taking too much of my attention just to download my email.
I understand this confirmation dialog is a precaution to prevent deleting false reports,
but after several years I think I've had one that wasn't actually a virus and it wouldn't have mattered if that email had been deleted as well.
Or at least could I redirect any emails marked for deletion to a separate folder?

Thanks,
Don

Is there a subscription notification link I'm missing somewhere or are we automatically notified of any responses?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 06:29:55 PM by Don Gray »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: By-Pass Delete Dialog?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:36:44 PM »
Personally I would deal with the spam issue first as that would reduce the alerts anyway.

You can set the Internet Mail provider, Customize, Advanced tab, Silent mode and General answer No, that should send them to the chest.

I use MailWasher Pro, although it is primarily for Spam it is also easy to deal with suspicious emails, deleting them of the email server before calling your email program to download the remainder of the email. There is a free version, but this only works with a single email account. The Pro version works with multiple accounts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Don Gray

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 08:28:53 AM »
Thanks, I was looking under Program Settings.
I have tried controlling the Spam, but to no avail since they use my own domain name to send it.
No matter how I block a spoofed address Thunderbird doesn't seem to filter most of it.
I may look into the program you mention and only need it for one account anyway.
How about getting an email notification when someone responds to a topic I am subscribed to in
this forum and how do I subscribe?

Ok, found the Notify button at the top, is there a place I can automatically be subscribed to any topics I post to?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 08:31:28 AM by Don Gray »

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
To get email notifications go to PROFILE then Notifications and Email then select what you want.

Don Gray

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:49 AM »
Wow, still not seeing "Notifications and Email" in my Profile.

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:57 PM »
Maybe you need 20 posts to be able to update your PROFILE as this is a restriction due to past spammers causing problems.

Don Gray

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 12:26:13 PM »
Ok, sounds fair enough, thanks.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »
Thanks, I was looking under Program Settings.
You're welcome.

I have tried controlling the Spam, but to no avail since they use my own domain name to send it.
No matter how I block a spoofed address Thunderbird doesn't seem to filter most of it.

I have one manual filter that gets round that which I call MeMe (imaginative eh), so if I receive an email to my email address and it is from that same email address then it gets flagged for deletion as I'm not in the habit of sending email to myself.

I may look into the program you mention and only need it for one account anyway.

It certainly saves me a lot of time, especially on dial-up, the only thing I do is exclude that applications email traffic from being scanned by the Internet Mail provider as it doesn't download the whole email (no attachments) only a small part (user configurable) and it is viewed in text mode, so presents a very, very limited risk (which might have avast alert). So if you decide to proceed and get alerts on the mailwasher traffic and you want to exclude it let me know.

How about getting an email notification when someone responds to a topic I am subscribed to in
this forum and how do I subscribe?

Ok, found the Notify button at the top, is there a place I can automatically be subscribed to any topics I post to?

By default you should get email notifications on topics you create or contribute, so you should be getting email notifications unless you specifically disabled that option when you first registered.

So you shouldn't need to click the notify button.

In the forum displays there is also a neat link, 'Show new replies to your posts' (see image) that is what I use makes life even easier and you don't have to have the Notify setting in the profile set to email you. Note the location will be in a different location as I have a different theme (Babylon) to the default forum one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:26:15 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Don Gray

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 03:31:07 PM »
Thanks, David.
Mail Washer seems to be working well so far
and I am getting notifications from the forum responses.
No Avast alerts so far...

Don

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

A belated welcome to the forums.

Don Gray

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
Thanks!
Not sure how much I will be seen around here,
I'm more the graphic artist type so only trying to make life a little easier with the alerts.
I'm pretty happy with Avast for the time being (not received any viruses since using it),
so just letting it run in the background is what I really want in a virus scanner.

Don

OT:I did try a trial ( a few years ago) of mail washer,
didn't keep it around long, but I didn't have the spam issue to anywhere near the degree as now.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 05:28:40 PM »
I've had MailWasher for many, many years, from when I used the free version (at that time it had multi account support) and eventually bought it at about version 3, and have had free upgrades since then, currently using 6.5.3.

So it was one of my best purchases in terms of free upgrades, I wouldn't be without it, a real boon on dial-up.

Don Gray

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 05:44:45 PM »
Yeah, dial up, I don't envy you on the matter.
Is there anything faster available or is it just more than you are going to spend on it?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
a long way from the telephone exchange, I don't think anyone would voluntarily use dial-up. It is actually possible to get cheaper broadband connection plans from what I'm paying for dial-up, assuming you could get a reliable broadband connection.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »