Author Topic: Avast & Malwarebytes  (Read 9286 times)

silvertones

Avast & Malwarebytes
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
I see a lot of you use Malwarebytes as well as Avast. I have shifted to it also. My question is do you use the paid version that provides real time protection or just the free version for on demand scans.
This is probably a stupid question seeing that Avast is free why pay for Malwarebytes but thought I'd ask. :)

YoKenny

Re: Avast & Malwarebytes
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 02:40:10 PM »
Malwarebytes paid version has resident protection and scheduled automatic updates and Quick scans.

Paid version is a one time fee.

Why Purchase?:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=28455

silvertones

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 03:15:19 PM »
So you use the paid version? I have no problem paying at all just was wondering what most do> I assume it plays well with Avast. Spyware Doctor did not.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
I use the paid version on both systems and it plays well with avast!

I do not use any PC Tools applications.

silvertones

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
I'm just concerned that running the two will bog down my system as SD did.
I only have a lappy with a PIII 1.2 & 512 Ram. And dial up as well.

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:04:15 PM »
I'm just concerned that running the two will bog down my system as SD did.
I only have a lappy with a PIII 1.2 & 512 Ram. And dial up as well.

with such a configuration it is indeed reasonable to stick to a one security software configuration...you don't have much RAM and your CPU is slow. Even Avast alone on it is kinda mad. Someone in my family is running an old laptop with exactly the same configuration (P3 1.2 & 512 MB ram), Avast on it is unthinkable, but AVG is OK.

And second, running several resident AV as you know is not advised. MalwareByte is not an AV I know but sometimes, or often (?), the border between spyware/malware and viruses is really blurred, and even MalwareByte could conflict with Avast it the case both would attempt to access an infected file and take care of it, resulting in none of them being able to block it...this can just happen. This said it's no problem having MalwareByte free on board and do manual scans with it off and on. From what I hear it's good at detecting stuff others don't. Only thing I'm sure about is MBAM like SAS scan your registry, which Avast doesn't unfortunately. So again, go for it, but avoid any multi-resident solutions  ;)

silvertones

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
Logos,
Thanks. That was my take as well. Avast does run well even on this machine. Towards  the end here SD was attacking the Avast temp files. I'm not going to renew with them.
I think I'll stick with Avast 4.8 ( 5.0 when it's out), Malwarebytes on demand, Spybot search & destroy, PC Tools Firewall Plus, Threatfire . I think when Avast 5.0 comes out I'll be able to drop Threatfire.

ilker

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 07:02:23 AM »
Logos,
Thanks. That was my take as well. Avast does run well even on this machine. Towards  the end here SD was attacking the Avast temp files. I'm not going to renew with them.
I think I'll stick with Avast 4.8 ( 5.0 when it's out), Malwarebytes on demand, Spybot search & destroy, PC Tools Firewall Plus, Threatfire . I think when Avast 5.0 comes out I'll be able to drop Threatfire.

I advise you use Superantispyware instead of spybot. They develop the software against rootkits too and other malware continuously. Also you can use it paying one time forever.  ( pro version )   

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »
If you throw an extra RAM chip in, that will make a huge difference.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 09:18:11 AM »
If you throw an extra RAM chip in, that will make a huge difference.
That's if you can find a RAM chip for a PIII 1.2

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 09:20:37 AM »
Hmm. Didn't think of that.
2nd hand junk 'pooter shops?
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 09:24:28 AM »
Hmm. Didn't think of that.
2nd hand junk 'pooter shops?
Probably have more luck finding a complete P4 system with 512MB RAM.

Sesame

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 09:39:59 AM »
I'd try a net search with the information of the laptop.

dryitout

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 11:41:22 AM »
WFIW I have just unistalled Malwaarebytes from my three XPSP3 office computers here - they played havoc with them - freezing screens, remote desktop lock ups - nightmare.
I am now sticking to Avast (4.8 currently) and Threatfire.
Shame - in theory it would be a good match.

YoKenny

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 11:50:37 AM »
@dryitout

Malwarebytes is not permitted in an office environment as you need a corporate licence to use it and get support.

Activating the full version unlocks realtime protection, scheduled scanning, and scheduled updating. For consumers and personal use, it is a one time fee of $24.95. For corporate and business customers, annual licenses are required, please see our Corporate Licensing program.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Malwarebytes Corporate Inquiries:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/corporate.php