Author Topic: Avast On-Access Protect Stops  (Read 3769 times)

ParadoxKing

Avast On-Access Protect Stops
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:43:47 PM »
Hello, I've been having some trouble with Avast On-Access Protection. Every time my screensaver comes up or I put the computer into standby On-Access protection stops. I tried to start it by right clicking the system tray icon and selecting "Start On-Access Protection", but to no avail. However, being the curious person that I am, I opened up services.msc and checked and sure enough the avast! Antivirus service had stopped running unlike trying to start it from the system tray I could start the service from the services.msc window.

Now, I had run into this problem before. I tried repairing the install which did not work, the only thing that worked was uninstalling and reinstalling the software, however as this problem has cropped up again I was hoping to come up with an alternate solution. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening and how to fix it?  ??? Thanks in advance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast On-Access Protect Stops
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:23:11 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Conflicts with other security software could cause avast to shutdown.

It would be worth checking to see if you don't have some malware on your system responsible for this.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).

Don't worry about reported tracking cookies they are a minor issue and not one of security, allow SAS to deal with them though. - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ParadoxKing

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 04:09:08 PM »
I ran the Malwarebytes' scan and it didn't help at all here is the log

Code: [Select]
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.41
Database version: 2933
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

10/10/2009 12:22:21 AM
mbam-log-2009-10-10 (00-22-21).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|K:\|P:\|X:\|)
Objects scanned: 700888
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 35 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 4

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
G:\K66T6's Documents\ZangoInstaller.exe (Adware.Seekmo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
H:\Downloads\asx-p8-ds2\asx-p8-ds2.exe (Malware.Packer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
I:\K66T6's Documents\ZangoInstaller.exe (Adware.Seekmo) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
X:\Downloads\asx-p8-ds2\asx-p8-ds2.exe (Malware.Packer) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Any other ideas?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 04:23:17 PM »
What do you mean it didn't help, that log is 15 days old and it detected 4 files.

Did you not run avast after that scan ?
I also don't see an SAS scan log, didn't you run that also ?

Win XP SP3 has been out for over a year and is a recommended upgrade.
I would also suggest a visit to this site, which scans your system for out of date programs that have patches to close vulnerabilities, http://secunia.com/software_inspector/.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ParadoxKing

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:57 PM »
I have SP3, and I ran a second scan recently that found nothing. I did not run SAS. I will try the update software site.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
Sorry, I thought the quoted MBAM log said SP2, guess I need to use a larger font ;D

Have (or did) you another Anti-Virus installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

ParadoxKing

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:28 PM »
I 'd have to check the original specs on the computer, I think I opted out of the free Mcaffee/Norton antivirus trial when I customized my new computer off of Dell, I knew I was going to put avast on it from the get go but I don't remember. If I had anything installed on this computer besides avast it was one of those 2 but only when I first got the computer about a little under a year ago, and this is a fairly recent problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »
Opting out may not be enough as they normally have it installed and running. Conflicts don't have any time-line so it could happen immediately or lie dormant.

I don't really know what AV they usually had pre-installed.

You can try these:
A link worth looking at, which is a program removal tool that can remove the remnants of a number of different Norton Programs:
Removing your Norton program using SymNRT
Or ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/removal_tools/Norton_Removal_Tool.exe

Here are the various removal tools:
- McAfee has an uninstall tool that you could run to ensure any possible remnants are removed.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe Or http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

2007 version - http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Also see - How do I uninstall SecurityCenter? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/faq3.asp?docid=71525

If that doesn't have any effect, all I can suggest is a clean reinstall, I know you said you uninstalled and reinstalled, but there is another step. You could try this first possibly less onerous option before the others.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall. Ensure that you scroll down and select the avast direct download link for the English version and not Cnet as that is for an on-line installation (not what you want to do). - Direct download for avast Home, English version, http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.