Author Topic: Amount of Mb's Scanned Changing?  (Read 2512 times)

Philo

Amount of Mb's Scanned Changing?
« on: October 24, 2009, 06:49:01 AM »
Hello,

Recently I have noticed that the total amount of Mb's scanned by my Avast home 4.8 has changed. I always run a "Thorough" scan of local disks with "Scan archived files" option enabled. At the end of the scan it always shows approximately 65Mb's.

When I ran it the other day however, under the same conditions, it only showed 50Mb's scanned. (?)
Nothing in my system has recently been added or subtracted, nothing out of the ordinary has happened.

So, what say you, Avast guru's What IS going on here?  ???

Thanks very much,
Philo

Philo

Re: Amount of Mb's Scanned Changing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:51:02 AM »
Sorry, sorry, I also wanted to ask, maybe a separate issue, sometimes when it runs, it's not registering the % of the scan completed, even though it's showing the files as they're being scanned. Maybe that helps?  ::)

Offline superhacker

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • superhacker != super mario
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 11:09:52 AM »
for the first issue:
it is normal and you cant say nothing change,may be programs uninstalled and still in the system volume information,may be the temprature of your system and hard drivers,there are a lot of reason,so my advice clean your system by ccleaner or glary utilities and may be the speed come back
for the second issue:
can you post a picture ,i dont understand a lot.
Dreams don't die, they just fall asleep.

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:14:45 PM »
Welcome to the forums Philo,

If you didn't modify anything on your PC, then it is probable that Windows compressed the files that remain unaccessed for 50 days (default). You may check it out via:

1   Windows Key + R
2   Type in: cleanmgr
3   Scroll down to see Compressed old files and see if it ranges up to 10 MB
4   You may click Option to see the time range before an unaccessed file is compressed

Aside from it, some changes like cleaning Temporary files and uninstalling softwares may be the cause.
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Philo

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 06:14:07 PM »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about Windows compressing files...

Funny thing though, last night after I posted this I ran the same scan just for $hit's-n-giggles, and I got the normal amount scanned: 64.9 Mb's!

I'm starting to think that perhaps I pushed a button and just forgot about it. I will monitor the situation to be sure.

On the 2nd thing, I just noticed that when the scan runs, sometimes where it show's the percentage (%) completed, it always shows 0 till it's done. Does that happen to anyone else?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »
I take it that you aren't actually talking MB (Mega Bytes) but GB (Giga Bytes) as I don't know may systems that have that little in the way of data.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Philo

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »
LOL Yes, of course. Gb's NOT Mb's. it was late.....