Author Topic: HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO  (Read 4426 times)

erenamidnight

HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO
« on: June 03, 2004, 11:27:17 PM »
I have a bit of a problem.......everytime i turn my computer on (xp), I click on my user name and then a little window pops up (virtual memory low) so I go through safe mode to do something about it and now I can't even get into administrator without it shutting down, does anyone know what is wrong?  :-[

KezzerDrix

Re:HELP I DON"T KNOW WHAT TO DO
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004, 11:52:39 PM »
You can set your virtual memory.

In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
In the System Properties dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
In the Performance Options dialog box, on the Advanced tab, under Virtual memory, click Change.

Select the hard disk drive you want to use from the Drive list.
Select a page file size option:

Custom Size—2.5 times your memory, make sure the min and max size are the same.  That is the trick.

your hard drive could be full, or close to it. (uninstall something)

Your hard drive could be bad.(check it in another computer)

You may not have enough ram to fire windows and all of your installed accesories.  Atleast 128mb required.(purchase more ram)

You could have a hardware conflict try removing everything but the essentials(video card and harddrive) and rebooting.  

« Last Edit: June 03, 2004, 11:53:18 PM by KezzerDrix »

rloschmann

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 11:58:55 AM »
Did this happen after a boot time scan ?

erenamidnight

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 02:12:52 AM »
Thankyou for your help but unfortunately I can't even get in to my computer, not even going through safe mode, everytime I try and click on a log on user (even administrator) it keeps saying virtual memory low and then it will shut down.  Is there another sneaky way of getting into the computer without going through the logon process?? ;)
And can you do a virus check before you log on to any log on users?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 05:47:25 AM »
Thankyou for your help but unfortunately I can't even get in to my computer, not even going through safe mode, everytime I try and click on a log on user (even administrator) it keeps saying virtual memory low and then it will shut down.  Is there another sneaky way of getting into the computer without going through the logon process?? ;)
And can you do a virus check before you log on to any log on users?

Well, this is not good indeed...
I got onto this few years ago with Windows 2k.
If I remember correctly I just reinstall over the existing installation. But unfortunatelly I'm not sure. I remeber some formats at that bad time of my life  :'(

Let's try to help you. Do you have NTFS or FAT32 as system file?
Maybe we can recreate the pagefile.sys file with some small applications and see if you get your Windows back  :-\
The best things in life are free.

KezzerDrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 05:16:11 PM »
pressing and holding the f8 button right after the post screen where it lists your memory, drives, etc and before the windows screen, should log you into safe mode.  It checks for this before loading windows.

KezzerDrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2004, 05:17:52 PM »
other than that you might use a boot disk off of something else.  Like harddrive boot disk or old windows boot disk.  To throw you into a dos mode.  From there you can worm your way through the directories.